• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instant Fruit Cancel (IFC)

smashPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyfloyd
Hey Pac-Men. This morning I made a discovery of a new Diddy Kong tech that also applies to Pac-Man. However there are a couple differences. Go check out this thread I posted earlier for the how-to.

http://smashboards.com/threads/diddy-kong-instant-popgun-cancel-ipc.422450/#post-20394219

Here's a video demonstrating the Instant Fruit Cancel.

https://youtu.be/43RPTl56JqE

Also, this technique can ONLY be performed with the C stick, with the exception of downsmash allowing you to use the control stick, because hitting a direction (left or right) on the control stick during Pac-Man's Fruit Selection causes you to roll, unlike hitting a direction on the control stick during Diddy's Popgun charge. If you have tilts set to c stick, you can IFC tilt AND IFC downsmash. If you have C stick set to smash attack, you can only IFC downsmash and down tilt. Keep in mind that you must HOLD the special button while performing the IFC, so that you dont accidentally throw your fruit instead of performing an IFC.

- Pony

Last edited:

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Got any videos of the Pac Man demonstration? Not sure what this is supposed to look like.

smashPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyfloyd
Got any videos of the Pac Man demonstration? Not sure what this is supposed to look like.
I suppose I can make one now. It basically looks like what the Diddy is doing. Ill start now.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Okay that's much more helpful.

I saw that you had charged up to Strawberry (and possibly Orange) with this, so I take it we can use this to attack and charge up a fruit? If so this makes us even more janky than before.

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
Sadly this won't be useful for me as the timing is too strict for me to be able to do consistently, and the fact that I use C-Stick for smash attacks. I was really hoping it'd be possible to cancel into aerials while you charge off-stage but that doesn't seem to be the case. Hopefully this is useful for some others though!

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Sadly this won't be useful for me as the timing is too strict for me to be able to do consistently, and the fact that I use C-Stick for smash attacks. I was really hoping it'd be possible to cancel into aerials while you charge off-stage but that doesn't seem to be the case. Hopefully this is useful for some others though!
You actually can cancel into aerials. The timing is strict, but you hold B and then immediately press shield then let go. You can do this on the ground too. It isn't exactly the same speed, but it is still quick.
Or, you can cancel fruit that is already in process of charging using this method: http://smashboards.com/threads/fruit-stoppin-and-associated-jank.404785/

Last edited:

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice

Huge

Smash Apprentice
Just dropping in to clarify that "Fruit-stoppin'" is just a combination of this and the ability to cancel fruit into any special. Since you can cancel fruit into itself, you can stop your charge midway by fruit cancelling your special-cancelled fruit. It's a mouthful to explain, but it's pretty cool! It's also great for avoiding airdodge lag when you want to cancel your charge before landing.

Last edited:

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
I was going to say, this sounded familiar but I didn't have time to look it up. I was thinking it sounded like "Phantom Fruit" myself.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
I think this is fruit cancel. Can anyone clarify it? I think that it is the same AT

Huge

Smash Apprentice
Oh, yeah, looks like the lag is the same, so this is another way of doing PF. What are the exact inputs for this version, anyway?

Here's Spirst talking about it, many moons ago'
[Pac can] utilize the empty fruit charge from a dash into the KO move. This is something we should incorporate into our games more since it allows us to use any of our standard moves almost instantly from a dash rather than shield>shield drop or waiting for the skid to end. It has a lot of potential when paired with hit confirms and the input is dash>B>Shield (to cancel) with the latter two inputs being done quickly. I'm aware it's been known but I've never seen it utilized extensively. Something else you can do with this is dash with a key in hand>ftilt with key in hand (input being hold down on control stick and C-stick forward) then read the airdodge for a key throw. Basically, this gives us better means to approach.

Last edited:
Top Bottom