• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Greninja Japan's "Little Mac"? (AKA Japan Reacts to Greninja)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
I remember vividly the thread "Japan Reacts to Little Mac" in the Little Mac character discussion board:

http://smashboards.com/threads/japan-reacts-to-little-mac.349539/

The overall reaction of Little Mac in Japan is mixed/indifferent. Some people didn't even know who Little Mac was.

But then, after seeing everyone's mixed reaction on Greninja at the end of the Direct. It got me thinking, is Greninja Japan's Little Mac? I'm curious to know. In fact, I'll be searching through Japanese discussion forums right now and report back in this thread what I get.

Although Greninja was totally uncalled and wasn't on anyone's wishlist, I think Japan had a much more welcoming reaction and appreciated the surprise unlike some of us here who didn't even know the guy.

I won't know for sure until I start searching for the Japanese reactions, but it will be interesting if the tables are turned on us, huh?

Japan's Reaction

So I got back from viewing some Japanese reactions, and the overall opinion is positive (from what I've seen at least). There isn't too much negativity about the character and no one said Greninja is a waste of character space. The biggest difference between our reaction and theirs is that a lot more people in Japan knew who Greninja was since Japan still likes to keep up with Pokemon with each generation. No one predicted Greninja as a playable character because people assumed he is too recent in the Pokemon series to be considered, so an XY starter as a playable character was a pleasant surprise to Pokemon fans. Meanwhile, people who aren't fans of Pokemon still welcomed the character, especially because he is representing the new generation of Pokemon without having the need to be a legendary. I personally agree with the Japanese because in the history of Smash we had way too many generation 1 represents and a newcomer either had to be that or a legendary to be considered playable. It's honestly a nice change to see a pokemon representing a newer generation of fans. Who knows, although Greninja's hype isn't all that big now, he might eventually become one of the most popular Pokemon because of Smash.

And yes, just so none of you feel left out, there were still plenty of Japanese people who thought Mewtwo was going to be revealed in that trailer. Only laughs came out of that rather than disappointment afterwards though.

I gotta say, it's funny how people in Japan didn't know who Little Mac was when he was revealed and had a indifferent/negative reaction while our reaction of Greninja was just the same. However, despite our initial disappointing reactions of both characters, we have both grown to like them over time based on how they fight.

Last edited:

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
You don't know me then.
My apologies then, I just thought that was the overall opinion. I was more in the lines of saying "Greninja was unexpected as Wii Fit Trainer", but props to you for wanting him and getting him in Smash 4.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
My apologies then, I just thought that was the overall opinion. I was more in the lines of saying "Greninja was unexpected as Wii Fit Trainer", but props to you for wanting him and getting him in Smash 4.
I was just joking, I wasn't mad or anything. But thanks anyway.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yeah, Greninja was on a lot of people's wishlists. Not mine personally but...

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
When Pokemon X and Y first came out, there were Froakies everywhere on Wondertrade. Greninja was the most popular of the 6th gen starters competitively. While I'm surprised, I'm not too surprised.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
This is another scenario like WFT's... At first you're like "huh?!?!" but then once you think about it, it makes sense.
When Pokemon X and Y first came out, there were Froakies everywhere on Wondertrade. Greninja was the most popular of the 6th gen starters competitively. While I'm surprised, I'm not too surprised.
I'm pretty sure Greninja was the most popular Gen5/6 Pokemon period...

Only reason he didn't have as much support is because X/Y is still relatively new.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I've seen more Talonflame and Aegislash. We can't say for sure who's the most popular.

In any case, I want to see Japanese reactions.
I meant in general cause competitively yes it's definitely Aegislash and Talonflame is up there as well.

When you think about it Greninja's inclusion makes sense. The Pokemon series is too big not to get a newcomer, so their options were Greninja, Zoroark, and maybe Genesect. Since X/Y is the latest installment in the series Greninja is the most obvious choice.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
To be fair, Ash owns a Froakie in the anime, and its final form is Greninja.
That's still going on?

I meant in general cause competitively yes it's definitely Aegislash and Talonflame is up there as well.

When you think about it Greninja's inclusion makes sense. The Pokemon series is too big not to get a newcomer, so their options were Greninja, Zoroark, and maybe Genesect. Since X/Y is the latest installment in the series Greninja is the most obvious choice.
I think they're going for more relevant Pokemans, honestly. PT may have one Char Slot but he was 3 different Pokemon in one space.

I honestly feel like we're still going to see another Pokemon. Blaziken, Sceptile or Mewtwo, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Same, he wasn't a character that I would have bet on personally, but wasn't ever against the idea or dismisive of it's possibilities. Seeing him in action also made his inclusion make more sense to me, he combines a new pokemon rep with a unique "Ninja" playstyle that really only Sheik (to a lesser extent maybe ZSS) ever had elements of.

D

Deleted member

Is there any link to Japan reacting toward Greninja?
I don't think that Greninja is really their Little Mac, I would honestly give that title to Shulk.
I'm unsure how requested Greninja was... or if Greninja was requested at all (probably after X and Y's release Greninja saw an influx, but nothing that I would expect to shake up Sakurai's decisions).

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I personally didn't particularly wish for this character...

But I also am really happy he got in.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Reaching. He was one of the most obvious choices for a Gen VI Pokemon.
He was the most obvious choice for a 6th Gen Pokemon.

Still, logic was done trumped by advertising.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon is the best selling game series in the world for the amount of time it has been out. In other words, even if there ends up being more Pokemon then Mario characters, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sceptile, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff. And while we're at it, Blastoise / Squirtle or Ivysaur / Venusaur would also be awesome.

Speculator

Smash Ace
People are surprised by him because this is the first Pokemon character with no 'special significance'. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just an observation. Pikachu/Jigglypuff/Charizard are big long-standing mascot characters. Ivysaur and Squirtle were part of the Pokemon Trainer triage thing. Mewtwo was a famous legendary. Lucario has been a big mascot character ever since gen IV. Even Pichu was being used to introduce the whole baby Pokemon pre-evolution thing way back in gen II.

Greninja doesn't really have any of that. He was never pushed as a major mascot, he's not a legendary and he doesn't even have a Mega Evolution. It seems to me like he was picked primarily on how well he fits into a fighting game, which is basically a good thing.

kylexv

Smash Master
People are surprised by him because this is the first Pokemon character with no 'special significance'. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just an observation. Pikachu/Jigglypuff/Charizard are big long-standing mascot characters. Ivysaur and Squirtle were part of the Pokemon Trainer triage thing. Mewtwo was a famous legendary. Lucario has been a big mascot character ever since gen IV. Even Pichu was being used to introduce the whole baby Pokemon pre-evolution thing way back in gen II.

Greninja doesn't really have any of that. He was never pushed as a major mascot, he's not a legendary and he doesn't even have a Mega Evolution. It seems to me like he was picked primarily on how well he fits into a fighting game, which is basically a good thing.
I think TPCi is trying to promote Greninja in as much stuff as possible. Smash is an example. Since X and Y, they wanted a new pokemon to relive Charizard's poularity, and Greninja was their pick.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Greninja is not a character I knew or cared about and stems from a generation where iconic pokemon don't really exist. At best, Aegislash's first form might count.

Unlike Little Mac, who I also neither knew nor cared about before his reveal, the video for this character did not impress or even interest me.

Put simply, Greninja sucks and I hope japan realizes that.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Put simply, Greninja sucks and I hope japan realizes that.
Can't you just be happy that Smash is getting a new fighting style?

Sure, understand people want specific characters, but variety in style is more important. Otherwise, all we get is Fox/Falco/Martha/Shiek/Falcon
And no love for any other character

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
While I’m fine with Greninja being in the game, as a non-hardcore Pokémon fan, he didn’t hype me up at all, and was probably the one disappointing thing about this Direct. I didn’t even know who he was.

Greninja is just a really recent character, and even before X & Y came out, he didn’t have much promotion at all. It’s clear that he is “that badass bipedal” of the 6th Gen, but he hasn’t had the time or promotion to become really noteworthy. Mewtwo and Lucario were given time to be hyped up and to become highly requested, while Greninja didn’t get this. He seems like a character Sakurai picked based on moveset alone, which is fine, but I feel he would have been better off as a secret, unlockable character. The announced newcomer for the direct should have been someone like Palutena who is highly requested and hyped (heck, even Mewtwo would have fit that bill), or just some really obscure character like Takamaru.

Greninja does look fun to play as though and his trailer was very cool. I just can’t help but wish that the announcement was someone more hypeworthy (as it helps promote the game and the excited reactions are always fun to see, and there have not been as many of those for Greninja). It kinda killed the momentum for me personally. Even as far as Gen VI goes, the starter who seemed most popular was Fennekin. I remember when the starters were revealed, and my tumblr dash was full of fanart and posts about Fennekin, as well as my Facebook news feed, and then everyone loved it's evolutions too. Fire starters tend to be most popular in general, anyway.

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Japan's Reaction

So I got back from viewing some Japanese reactions, and the overall opinion is positive (from what I've seen at least). There isn't too much negativity about the character and no one said Greninja is a waste of character space. The biggest difference between our reaction and theirs is that a lot more people in Japan knew who Greninja was since Japan still likes to keep up with Pokemon with each generation. No one predicted Greninja as a playable character because people assumed he is too recent in the Pokemon series to be considered, so an XY starter as a playable character was a pleasant surprise to Pokemon fans. Meanwhile, people who aren't fans of Pokemon still welcomed the character, especially because he is representing the new generation of Pokemon without having the need to be a legendary. I personally agree with the Japanese because in the history of Smash we had way too many generation 1 represents and a newcomer either had to be that or a legendary to be considered playable. It's honestly a nice change to see a pokemon representing a newer generation of fans. Who knows, although Greninja's hype isn't all that big now, he might eventually become one of the most popular Pokemon because of Smash.

And yes, just so none of you feel left out, there were still plenty of Japanese people who thought Mewtwo was going to be revealed in that trailer. Only laughs came out of that rather than disappointment afterwards though.

I gotta say, it's funny how people in Japan didn't know who Little Mac was when he was revealed and had a indifferent/negative reaction while our reaction of Greninja was just the same. However, despite our initial disappointing reactions of both characters, we have both grown to like them over time based on how they fight.

Last edited:

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind helping with translations. I'm not fluent in the slightest, but I have self-studied for three years, so maybe I could be of some help.

Honestly, I was pretty much right there with those who didn't think much of Little Mac, especially since I didn't think much of the Punch-Out series (although, the latter has definitely changed as getting the NES Punch-Out free from Club Nintendo has converted me into a big fan of the series. I even recently got the Wii one), and well, obviously, I was pretty hyped for Greninja XD

All that said, I feel that both fighters are going to bring something unique to Smash, and I can't wait to see what we end up doing with them.

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
I wouldn't mind helping with translations. I'm not fluent in the slightest, but I have self-studied for three years, so maybe I could be of some help.
Hmm, I would appreciate that. The hardest part isn't necessarily the translations (it is challenging though), but finding specific posts at specific websites/communities to copy & paste. The most accessible posts are in Miiverse, but harder ones with more solid opinions like 2ch are difficult since the site keeps changing and threads delete themselves after a short amount of time (Threads that talk about the reaction of Greninja are probably gone by now). I've been to a variety of Japanese websites to get the overall opinion, but it didn't cross my mind that I should have kept a list of posts to translate.

If you or anyone else for that matter has access to some good posts for translation, let me know. At this point though, I don't really think it matters since I understood the overall opinion.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Japan's Little Mac would probably be Captain Rainbow, there's enough Pokemon fans out here in the west that would recognize Greninja immediately, yeah the reactions were mixed but at least most people knew who he was, Captain Rainbow on the other hand is a character that no one outaide of Japan would know about unless you're a legit Nintendo nerd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom