• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it possible to have various melee versions in one usb?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Like title said, is it possible to have different versions of melee (let's say regular melee, 20XX and SD remix) in one USB for the USB loader gx app? If so, how is it done?

Oh, I know this may not be related to the forums but how do I fix the pictures of games because they sometimes don't show. I'm thinking it has to do with the way the .iso is built.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Honestly, changing the game ID is REALLY fuggin easy. Just download HxD (a standalone hex editor) and open up the file ISO.hdr with it. Right at the beginning of the file it'll say GALE01, just replace the 01 to something else like XX or 02. You can even go as far as renaming the ISO it self like I've done lower down. You don't even need to convert ASCII to Hex, just replace the stuff on the right side and you're good to go. Boom, recompile your ISO and you're done.
This should work but I'm not positive.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Ok, I've tryed it. After editing the file setting the name to something like GALE02, when I continue to open the files to recompile the .iso GCRebuilder throws an error saying: "Not a GameCube image".

Any other ideas?

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Ok, I've tryed it. After editing the file setting the name to something like GALE02, when I continue to open the files to recompile the .iso GCRebuilder throws an error saying: "Not a GameCube image".

Any other ideas?
You shouldn't have to recompile. You should be able to right click iso.hdr and say import your new file. Again, I've never tried this but it's just an idea.

Edit: Swapped the hdr in less than 2 minutes. Can't test it because I'm out of town.

Last edited:

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
I followed this guide: http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-changing-a-gamecube-games-id-and-name-and-more.365107/
and still failed.

I export only the ISO.hdr file, edit it and then import it back again, and when I use DIOSMIOS toolbox to save it on my usb drive, it throws an error saying the .iso file is not a gamecube game, uknown format or something like that.
The Game ID has to have certain letters in certain places. GALE01 for example has to keep the E since it signifies the region. Just change GALE01 to FREE01 or something like that, I dunno. I would just use HxD to do it. Go to the first bit with GALE01 and write over it, don't paste.

As for DIOS-MIOS, D-M can't run regular ISOs. They have to be put though a program called DiscEx first.

Last edited:

Firejew

Smash Cadet
Alright brehs, there's a lot of silliness in this thread and I don't know how to formats posts very well.

Multiple Melee versions on 1 USB? YES! I have done this already.
The Game ID does NOT require any specific characters to be properly read in DIOS MIOS. (Myougi's post about GALE01 needing the 'E' is incorrect.)
To change the Game ID, you do NOT require a hex editor. Hex editing is tedious and much harder than using a simple program.
And DIOS MIOS does NOT need to put ISOs through DiscEx first!! DIOS MIOS is looking for this pattern in the file system: root (so *DRIVE LETTER HERE*)\Games (or games, capital letters don't mean anything to DM)\*GAMEID HERE* (and GAME ID doesn't matter either.)\game.iso
Game ID matters so little that the ID of the ISO doesn't even have to match the name of the folder!

DM doesn't care what the folder name is and it doesn't care if the folder name is the same as the Game ID of the ISO in question.
For example, I have D:\Games\GALE69\game.iso AND D:\Games\GALEXX\game.iso both being read as Super Smash Bros. Melee because DM only looks at the ISO's information. In short, as long as your ISO is a Dolphin-readable Gamecube game, DM can also read it.

The good and easy method of changing Game IDs and having things recognized in DM is this:
Get this from here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-iso-gametitle-renamer.145064/page-3#post-2242399

It says "Select Wii Image" but it actually works with GC games too. So make your ISO of whatever mod(s) you like, compile it using GCR or whatever you're using, then open it with this program. The displayed name in DIOS MIOS will be what's under "New Title:", changing the game's ID is useful for very little other than differentiating Dolphin screenshots.

Last edited:

Elijah6133

Smash Rookie
hey i have tried this in several different ways but i can not seem to get it to work for nintendont. it seems like to change the name i have to change the I.D. as well but when I do that it says something about not having a memory card? I just want to have multiple copies of a game but that still share the same save data, if anyone can help me please do.....

Top Bottom