• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is megabus really reliable?

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
From allisbrawl (please don't mind the countless format errors):
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=143083&page=1

As you can see from my previous blog about Kain being involved in a megabus crash, it was was the kind of news I had quite the shock on. Had I been involved as well, I'd still be shaken up by just remembering it. At first, before I realized it was megabus, I thought it was something else like greyhound and etcetera since I don't really go for those transportation services. But seeing megabus in accident was totally something I did not expect; and I was even planning to ride to Dallas on it for whobo 4.

And then, another megabus accident comes in a week AFTER the previous, which not only gives me another surprise, and odd feel about it. Megabus has stated to have the highest saftey rating from the federal government, but clearly, this is somehow off. They say it is safer than cars, but turns out to be more concerning since megabus uses curbside busses. Curbside busses are considered more dangerous then any other transportation vehicle.

From Wikipedia:
The safety of curbside bus services came under scrutiny after a 2011 crash in New York caused 14 fatalities. The National Transportation Safety Board conducted a six-month study and found that while bus travel was considerably safer than by car, curbside buses had seven times the fatality rates of traditional bus lines.
So megabus claims to be the safest when they use curbside busses, which are more fatal than trditional ones. The fact that they say this only means that they're only trying to keep the people from getting worried, dissatisfied, and cautious. Also, not only are their curbside busses the problem, the past accidents and incidents are also based on the bus operator's actions. Here, I found these that will make you think about the operators.

From Wikipedia:

On September 1, 2008, a Detroit-bound M1 coach was pulled over by Michigan State police after officers noticed the bus swaying and speeding outside*Benton Township, MI. Megabus driver Kenneth Lewis failed sobriety tests administered at the scene and was arrested. Lewis was found to have a blood alcohol level of .07, well above the .0015 limit for commercial bus operators. A replacement driver was brought in to bring the 30 passengers to their final destination. It was the first drunk driving incident in Coach USA history. Lewis was suspended from Coach USA.

On October 21, 2011, at 10:08 p.m., a Megabus driver from Chicago, Carl H. Smiley, was arrested by an Iowa state trooper for drunk driving while transporting passengers from Chicago to Iowa City and Des Moines. The trooper pulled the driver over for failing to maintain a lane. Police records stated the driver “smelled strongly of an alcoholic beverage and admitted he had been drinking.” The driver also failed a field sobriety test.

February 23, 2010, around 5:00 p.m., Megabus driver Shervyle Pruitt struck and killed Wesley Krueger in Chicago, IL. Pruitt, 45, received citations for failing to yield the right of way to a pedestrian in a crosswalk and reckless driving."

According to federal records, since August 2007, Chicago hub drivers have been cited 54 times by police: 21 times for not maintaining driver logs, 20 times for speeding, three times for following too closely, 2 times for improper lane changes, and 2 for windshield violations. There were 6 other violations of local laws. Also, New York hub drivers have been cited 29 times by police: 14 times for speeding, five times for not maintaining driver logs, two times for failing to obey a traffic control device, two times for defects (windshield cracked and other), and 1 time for falsifying a log book. There were 5 other violations of local laws. There have been four other accidents involving Megabus vehicles.
Looking on these accident, it never seems quite right at all. I'm still looking into this transportation service to what's going on.

Are most bus operator's like this?
No, not at all. Despite Chicago and probably New York, most of the hubs are safe with reliable bus operators.
Just be aware of what's going on at all times to ensure your safety.

Are curbside busses mostly the problem? It seems so, and most people should know that as well. There are more accidents your can read on by clicking the link below

The rest of megabus info can be found on this website:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabus_(North_America)

So to finish this off, I'm not trying to be biased on this transportation service, I'm only doing this so the community can be aware of this concern of mines and to think over this. Megabus is really cheap and pretty cool to use to go at different places without hassle of money. I can go ahead and still ride megabus without any problem, but it's risky depending on what happens throughout the trip.

That's pretty much it, so be safe smashers.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Yeah. Why wouldn't it be?

EDIT: In an effort to sound less sarcastic, they send out a **** ton of buses to a **** ton of places every day. There's going to be some risk of accident. That being said, unless you plan on never driving anywhere ever, you run the same risk every time you get in a car.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
They're probably the safest as far as curbside buses go. Otherwise, take a Greyhound. Personally, I would forgo buses altogether and take an Amtrak. In all honesty, regardless of which transportation you choose, there will always be a level of risk involved.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Kain's accident was a very rare occurrence.

Don't let it shake you from thinking that accidents are common, megabus is very fine and safe.

TL?

Smash Ace
I drive a car and people have crashed into me on 3 occasions (small collisions that didn't really damage my car but still...). Collisions happen to all vehicles, and megabus is not exempt. Don't let one incident convince you that megabus is relatively risky.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
on a whole i don't really like taking the greyhound, we don't have megabus where im from
but i cant deny it can be very cheap compared to everything else

oh and inb4 #YOLO

Top Bottom