• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is shine spiking cheap???

Mr.C

Smash Master
it is cheap
cheap as ****
easy as ****

but guess what?!!? its in the game?!! its one of foxs moves?!?!?! and it cannot be banned!!!

LOL

goodgame

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Cheap is a john used to cover up one's lack of skill. In my eyes, there is no move or technique in the game that is cheap, because I don't feel the need to cover up a lack of skill - I'll find my way around it. I may not figure it out in time to win the match, but oh well. Let's face it, learning how to deal with something makes you a better player than just complaining.

adonnis85

Smash Apprentice
the only cheap move i use as fox is right after i knock them off of the stage right when i would normally jump out and shine spike them i unplug their controller and laugh as they fall to their death... then they stop b!tching about how cheap shine spiking is

gtfo

Smash Apprentice
......theres so many "cheap" moves in the game that calling a particular move cheap is just pointless.

Mr.C

Smash Master
u cant deny that the move is cheap
but there are alot of cheap things in smash
its just part of the game, get use to it.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Yes.Any move that can kill that easy is cheap.But in the end you can't really complain.If you get gimpd by a shine it's because you let yourself into that situation.Plus the shine don't work to well on my mains(except maybe Falco)

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
pika/pichu can recover easy from a shine spike.

Also, the cheapest, undeniably lack of skill kill move in the game is occupying the legde. you just take away all hope of coming back and it literally doesnt take skill if the ledge is the farthest possible distance they can reach. But this has become such a common practice that when the player gets sent that far off the edge they just except death.

How many people think fox would still be god tier if his shine spike could be meteor cancelled? everybody most likely. which means that the shine spike isn't the reason why fox is at the top, it's just a plus.

ApolloX54

Smash Apprentice
Shine spiking isn't cheap because it takes skill. If shine spiking is cheap then Doc is broken.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Doc has nothing over Marth, Fox, Falco, Cf, Peach, Sheik tho

Fox is the best in the game, he can easily kill any char at 80-100% (add on another 10-20% for fastfallers) is almost 100% safe from grabs if you can shffl right, has spammable lasers, has easy combos, and a shine spike the will take away 1 stock with ease.

Now if you take the shine spike away from Fox, will it make him a bad character? no. He has to much going for him, but what if you give Cf a shine spike??? im 100% he will move up a few spots in the tier list lol

and shine spiking doesnt take skill you can teach a nub how to shine spike, playing smash doesnt even take skill, anyone can learn to play.

Playing and beating pro's takes skill, being one of the best players in your state takes skill.

the shine spike is cheap, yes.
Its easy to do, yes.
does it make you a better smasher? no

Link-NY

Smash Ace
Shine spike isnt really cheap. actually its the best mind game. The reason for this is because well once u give someone a shine spike it will make them go " WOW! you cheep a$$ ***** what a cheap *** move" at this point you opponent will charge at you relentlessly giving you the chance to easily grapple them near the edge and give him another shinespike at like 6%. Yea shinespiking will easily get you 2 free stocks off anyone =)

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
Shine spike isnt really cheap. actually its the best mind game. The reason for this is because well once u give someone a shine spike it will make them go " WOW! you cheep a$$ ***** what a cheap *** move" at this point you opponent will charge at you relentlessly giving you the chance to easily grapple them near the edge and give him another shinespike at like 6%. Yea shinespiking will easily get you 2 free stocks off anyone =)
why only 2 free stocks, what if the person you are playing is really stubborn?????????

oh, and this should demonstrate the cheapness/mindgameness/gayness of the move.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6883403445542645212&hl=en

it's quite funny, really :chuckle:

Ipwn

Smash Apprentice

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
yea it shined blind is the perfect example. Although zelgadis is very skilled he killed people on 9% ive done tht before on someone good it has nothing to do with skill. its just grab f-throw shine spike edge-gaurd. not that hard + kills at 9% = cheap *** hell. and btw if any of you noobs try and say "dahhh no its really hard and takes a lot of skill" i no a kid who doesnt know any advanced skills. he has a little bit of timing and he loves to noob about he can shine spike and thats the only thing he knows. if u cant do it, it just means u suck pretty hard.

Ktk

Smash Rookie
I saw shine spike. I didn 'tknow what it was before, b utnow I see it.. Cheap. No wonder Fox anD Falco are top t ierfor 2006. =_=

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i read a few of the earlier posts in here and heres my views on this

well first of all i'm a falco player so i know how to use teh shine. my friend is a fox player and he uses the shinespike a lot. it IS cheap in its own way, but thats why you just have to learn to get around it. do things like

1. play center stage.
2. if a fox is standing near the ledge, stay away (unless he's spamming his blaster in which case figure something out but ttry not to get grabbed)
*Bthrow to shinespike is the ultimate 11% **** KO.
3. if you're recovering from a smash (meaning yoiu're already kind of far away from the stage), judging by character you can try to spike an oncoming fox. with falco, i try to DI away and then sweetspot a phantasm and hopefully meteor the fox. with other character just do something. think of it tihs way

1) he shinespikes you, you die and he recovers
2) he goes to spike you but you risk your life and take him with you in some way (spike or aerial or something)

either way, you're gonna die possibly (depending on character.) but, choice 2 takes his *** down too.

and as for it taking skill, its not that incredibly difficult to shinespike people IMO. i will occasionally use fox and i think its pretty easy but it may be because i play as Falco.

So, overall, it is in some way cheap but everyone has a cheap move. you just have to elarn a way to get around it.

SMASH ON BROTHERS!

hondazoom

Smash Rookie
no it's not cheap, your friend is just weak so he complains....happens in all games

thanguyen

Smash Cadet
If your in a final match, fox ditto, 1 stock, winner takes all, you have 100%, and the other person has 0%, what would you do?
I would unplug my opponents controller. haha. Has anyone ever seen/heard that done?
Or even better..done that themselves? :)

Top Bottom