• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there any notable competitive Pichu players?

DrPac

Smash Cadet
NNID
derek
3DS FC
2793-1053-1017
Is there really any notable Pichu players out there? I know Mew2King played as him a couple of times, but I mean if there's any people that use Pichu on a regular basis? Also, just because he's low tier doesn't mean Pichu doesn't have potential, characters such as Mewtwo, Roy, and even Kirby has mains that can do some impressive things.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Smasher:T0mmy used to be a pichu main. I don't know if he is still active, or if there are any active mains though.
T0mmy is looooong retired.
He was also never that notable as far as tournament results went...
He did do a lot for the pichu meta back in the day, but he's no Taj.

As far as Pichu players go, there have never really been any that were getting super notable results or could preform with him at a high-mid level the way players like RRR have with kirby or Cosmo! with Zelda or other examples along those lines.

While I will never say that a character doesn't have potential to develop, and that incredible players can't see success with a character like pichu, I will say that it is very unlikely that we will see anything like that at anytime soon (although I seriously hope that we do).

As far as active pichus right now I think ICG might be the only one... and as much as I love the kid he's not getting results either.
there have been some that popped up every now and again that were lookin pretty legit (i.e. Tuna Salad, Unknown522 back in the day) but they either didn't stick with the game or switched to characters that suited them better for tournament success.

Doesn't mean it's not doable, just that it's really really difficult and hasn't been done yet.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Is there really any notable Pichu players out there? I know Mew2King played as him a couple of times, but I mean if there's any people that use Pichu on a regular basis? Also, just because he's low tier doesn't mean Pichu doesn't have potential, characters such as Mewtwo, Roy, and even Kirby has mains that can do some impressive things.
mango also played a set with pichu against someone i think. but i don't know any notable mains for pichu out there

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
There are a lot of videos out there of high level players (who dont actually play the character) using pichu (i.e. mango and m2k)

The reason I never really recommend people watching these kind of sets is because the way they play the character is entirely fundamental based and focused a lot around hard reads rather than optimal or guaranteed combos/edgeguards.

The reason for this is that these players don't really play the character and while their fundamentals and understanding of the game are far superior to most pichu players, their understanding of the character, his moves, and his answers to different situations are not the same as an actual pichu main (although most of them are bad and do suboptimal things or fail to recognize a lot of situations)

Probably the best footage of "high level" pichu play you'll find is some of Unknown522's pichu stuff since he was a pichu main before his fox days and still understood the character enough once he actually got good.

But there isnt a lot of great pichu footage out there.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I've been slowly doing better but I can only play at events and I've started hitting that pay out point more and more often. Got 3rd in teams but we lost to a luigi/peach team match ups I struggle with as ics and again lost to that in singles.

But i sadly can't use pichu in events till I can crush everyone with ics all the time.

Pichu is viable in the sense of the neutral game and decent enough options, just the risk reward is so blown out of ratio it's basically in possible to make it work.

But idk idk ics match-ups so much as I know random facts, gimmicks, and I really get in people heads when I start dancing while wobbling them from a hard read. Idk I should go pichu vs marth mains I always do a lot better in that match-up and vs doc

Top Bottom