• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is this place dead?

SAUS

Smash Ace
Dtilt... seems to not be guaranteed? Do you mean dtilt dair off a missed rest? And what does this have to do with hitting the ground? Unless someone wants to inform me otherwise, I thought that SDIing a move from the ground to being in the air was not possible in Melee...

Off the correct DI, would dtilt fair still be possible? If so, at dtilt fair would surely do more than 22%, suggesting that dtilt fair might be an extremely useful punish, because it does a lot of damage AND provides Link some measure of stage control [likely enough space to safely pull a bomb]. I don't know if it would reach though.
Hmm I might need to ask Perhapsman again for some more details. I think maybe puff just hits the ground (like falco's sometimes does) and then can tech. I'd have to go really digging to show you how far puff goes, but it was actually absurd lol. You'd definitely have to run quite a bit before jumping. The problem is that it was at a percent where you could just go for a DI 50-50 on the dair.

Bomb -> aerial seems to rely heavily on puff DI - even when you jump before you throw the bomb. Maybe at certain sweetspots in damage it can be reacted to, but it is only for a small window. I think that window might not even exist on dreamland.
The trick is seeing whether it's gonna hit before it actually does and know which aerial to use before it does. You need to be able to react to whether you should cancel your attempt, you commit to the dash and the full jump but wait with aerial kinda. Bomb -> uair and bomb -> dair are kill combos on all stages, when bomb -> dair doesn't connect anymore bomb -> uair will kill on DL64. It is DI dependent, but my experience is that they will screw up their DI sooner or later.

SAUS

Smash Ace
The trick is seeing whether it's gonna hit before it actually does and know which aerial to use before it does. You need to be able to react to whether you should cancel your attempt, you commit to the dash and the full jump but wait with aerial kinda. Bomb -> uair and bomb -> dair are kill combos on all stages, when bomb -> dair doesn't connect anymore bomb -> uair will kill on DL64. It is DI dependent, but my experience is that they will screw up their DI sooner or later.
Ya they tend to. Not something I like to rely on, but there are other things you gain by doing it. I find basically making their landing a nightmare with all my projectiles and the threat of my up-air causes them to slowly burn jump and usually at least take some damage. I either kill them or damage them a lot. It is as much of a punish game I need for the matchup. I think I have gotten quite a bit better at it in just a couple months. I think I need to revisit fox a little bit, though. I find the matchups to be so opposite from each other that it messes me up lol.

I actually got a pretty strong opinion on mistakes in general. I think forcing mistakes and avoid making them yourself is basically how you play any game. Pressure, outsmart, annoy, bore, outmaneuver, whatever it takes to get them to make the mistake. I play a lot with peoples patience in this game and that makes a lot of people make silly mistakes. What Im trying to say is that you need to rely on mistakes to happen. Some mistakes happen more often than others and these are the ones you want to force the most. Landing a bomb -> dair is to me a result of a kinda common mistake with a great outcome and thus something you actually _can_ rely on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom