• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab to Usmash by reaction?

littlepuff

Smash Rookie
Hi! First time poster.

After WFT's jab combo successfully buries the opponent--

Is it possible for the WFT player to, by reaction, release WFT's charged up-smash as soon as one notices that the opponent has popped up from the ground (and thus successfully hit the opponent with the up-smash)?

(The question assumes that the opponent will indeed pop up some time in the duration of the full charge of WFT's up-smash.)

I cannot yet do so -- but I have pretty mediocre reaction time whe playing Smash in general, and I was wondering if I should bother working on it.

I appreciate it!

#PS: the new knockback of down-smash is simply amazing. The same goes for the new hitbox of up-smash.

Last edited:

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
I have better luck using a forward smash after burying the opponent. When you do get the timing of up smash down though, it's soooo satisfying.

littlepuff

Smash Rookie
I have better luck using a forward smash after burying the opponent. When you do get the timing of up smash down though, it's soooo satisfying.
Oh my god, the hitlag when we land the sweetspot of up smash.. so satisfying.

Are you saying you're forward smashing a grounded opponent? I agree that it's a great punish for racking up damage but, I suspect, not for finishing the opponent--hitting grounded opponents dramatically reduce the move's knockback, right?

And in terms of hitting the opponent right as he's popped up from the ground (so as to deal the full amount of knockback), I suspect doing so--by reaction--with up smash would be easier than with forward smash, since up smash hits higher than the forward smash.

Then again, the window for hitting by rection may be too tight--or nonexistent--even for up smash. Anyone else who'd like to lab it out and contribute? I feel like a consistent, reactionary jab to up smash (instead of simply guessing when the opponent will pop up) will be extremely beneficial for WFT.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
You know, I never thought of that. Grounded opponents take less knockback from smash attacks? That explains why forward smash doesn't kill until at high percentages. I might have to try jab into up smash more often then.

If you're not feeling the up smash setup from jab, try using Header or up air if you think that will be safer.

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
Just an idea but..

..now that the Header Cancel landing lag has been seriously reduced, maybe we could use it to extend the hitbox of the f-smash (or up-smash) by smashing on the ball while the opponent is grounded. That way landing the smash would be easier!

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
I guess that could be something. I'll try it out.

Top Bottom