• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just a quick note on one of Samus' changes

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
I've been reading all over the boards, and it seems rather odd that so many moves are said to now have vertical knockback, where some people will go as far as to say that attacks that, by their nature would not force an opponent up, do so anyway. As the demo was, in the end, only a demo, and of a game that's less than 4 months away, maybe they didn't quite get all of the properties of the attacks right.

I mean, it makes no sense whatsoever that a missile (and it's not the only example), which is a straightforward attack, would force the opponent in any direction other than the one that it's going in. It's not like Samus really needs to have such an excellent weapon converted into a juggling tool, and her Missiles were in no way overpowered.

Even if all of Samus' other changes stick, I don't think this one will. It's just completely illogical, from any perspective. And, even if in the final build her S.Missiles are, overall, nerfed, I'm sure they'll have some strength that competent Samus players can work with. Otherwise, this statement:

"Her arm cannon is equipped with a variety of weapons.
Mastering all of them is the first step toward victory."

Loses a lot of its meaning.

Nihil

Smash Rookie
They'll probably have it fixed by the time the game comes out.
That's what's so good that they released the demo, because now they can read the feedback and stuff.

I hope they fix the missiles, i saw them in the video and the non-seeker looked very week, i mean Samus even looked calm while shooting it.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
So, wait, your point is that Super Missiles are not supposed to send people upwards? *shrugs*

I don't really get it <_> Didn't they have a kind of vertical knockback in Melee too (when properly DI'd, at least)?

Neogeek23

Smash Cadet
yea what the crap were they thinking? Screwing up her special weapons (beams, missiles, and bombs)... those are some of the attacks that define the character that is Samus - messing those up just turns her into another generic punch kick character (or more so at least).

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord
Bah, from what I know, they messed up her ability to easily bomb jump, nerfed her super missile, and made charge shot have a weaker knock back! Seriously, this is going to upset me if it stays like this because I main Samus...

Otherwise... *looks at Snake* ...yeah, he'll be my new Samus! He's got the grenades, Nikita missile launcher, and land mines!

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
Nothing anyone on smash boards says about the game will change anything.

They have balence team of 100-200 people who have played over 10,000 games of Melee each.
They play 12 hours or more a day and there doing nothing else but thinking about smash while they eat, while they sleep, and while they take a crapp.

A year of this would produce something alot better than anything we can can think of, or even dream of.
The demo was not completed balence, theres gonna be ALOT, ALOT!!!!of characters to balence,
So there job is not easy.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
It's 4 months away Mastermind, however I still believe a few changes can still be made.

As a Samus player, I realize that nerfing the charge was necessary. How can you deny that it wasn't?

But yeah that up thing with the missiles bugs me a bit. If they leave it in though, there's not much we can do - it's a new game.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
So, wait, your point is that Super Missiles are not supposed to send people upwards? *shrugs*

I don't really get it <_> Didn't they have a kind of vertical knockback in Melee too (when properly DI'd, at least)?
It's not the same thing. In Melee the Missiles have a primarily forward knockback regardless of DI. Also, they have good scaling knockback. Now, not only do they send people straight up, they don't send them nearly as far. There's just no point to them now.

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
I basically aw the changes as ways to prevent her from getting random kills from shooting off missiles to people trying to recover back ot the stage. In it's stead, we have a larger charater model which is a (plus and minus), and what sounded like better close range fighting strength. It does make her a different character, but this is a new game, so most characters will have to be relearned.

Drake3

Smash Ace
Otherwise... *looks at Snake* ...yeah, he'll be my new Samus! He's got the grenades, Nikita missile launcher, and land mines!
Just need a coat of paint and a sex change and everything'll be set.

I figure they're trying to emphacize air battles?/ Give people a chance to live.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
But then if they were meant to bolster Samus' air game, shouldn't they have greater knockback? Besides, as they were in Melee they were an awesome, effective element to her air game anyway. They didn't need to be changed, nor did the Charge Shot.

I'll be honest, I don't think that the E4A demo's code was complete, even for the characters that were shown (there are other examples besides Samus' Missiles). Basically the only thing Samus' missiles can do now is briefly stun your opponent (which makes no sense for such a slow projectile, and Samus isn't Falco), and we all know that hitstun in Brawl has been decreased anyway. It just doesn't seem right, and it seems completely illogical for Sakurai and his team to do something like that. I think that in the final game her Missiles will be either similar to their Melee form or similar to Melee Link's arrows when they're fully charged. If the devs really think they're too powerful, maybe they'll be a little weaker.

super-7

Smash Journeyman
it made no sense that the missiles did that and now that there is no missile canceling,
there goes alot of good samus players strategy.
i hope they fix it so there is missile canceling and the knockback
to how it was in melee!

Top Bottom