• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool Bounce Glitch Thread

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
I realized there wasn't a proper thread for The Bounce Glitch, so I thought I'd come here in my quest to spread awareness about this horrible thing. I made a SmashWiki page with permission from Serpent King, but that ain't enough lol

Veteran K. Rool players from around January 2019 may remember this glitch:
Doesn't it just make the bile rise in your throat? This glitch has a name: The Bounce Glitch.

So now that the absolute horror that is Isabelle rocketing up with no hitstun from DThrow has got your attention, let's explain The Bounce Glitch. This eldritch horror of video game programming occurs because of K. Rool's DThrow having some really stupid quirks. The throw point doesn't actually hit the floor, and due to this along with Environmental Collision Boxes (ECBs), there are times where the game will decide to bury opponents in the air. As this is actually impossible, the game will proceed to immediately unbury the opponent and put them in a falling state with very little lag. As a result, DThrow goes from a kill setup to a neutral reset. This glitch also affects Banjo but I have very little footage of it.

So, how does The Bounce Glitch happen in-context? Glad you asked! There are two known ways this glitch can occur. Let's go over them one-by-one.

Slope Bounce Glitch
This is the most common one. The Slope Bounce Glitch occurs because the throw point puts the opponent in the air while their ECB can't help relocate them to the ground. As a result, the instant aerial unbury occurs. This most frequently happens on Yoshi's Story and Lylat Cruise. This is the insanity I showed up above. I'm not sure how to really avoid this but waiting and pummelling has helped.

This glitch can also cause opponents to be buried on Randall in Hazards On format, but that's not played too often. This is a side-effect of the game attempting to relocate players to where they're meant to be. Since the slope is considered the air, it looks for the closest thing that can be seen as ground and well...Randall rides by and it's like "aight there's the right spot". If Randall goes into the stage (which he likely will if buried on the right), opponents will get the instant unbury effect.

Platdrop Bounce Glitch
This is a more weird one. If opponents drop through platforms roughly around the time K. Rool grabs them, they're put into a glitched state where they're considered airborne. As a result, when thrown, The Bounce Glitch will happen. I have a Twitch clip of this where it happened live, and due to the Corrin player's mashing, they buffered a UAir, allowing NiP to get a punish. Usually, this leads to a heavy punish, but there's a nice silver lining.
This, technically, gives the opponent counterplay to DThrow USmash on platforms. Simply trying a platdrop and reaching at least frame 4 for most characters will cause the airborne state to apply, leaving K. Rool unable to go for the DThrow. And unlike the Slope version, this cannot be stopped.

Anyway, that's all for now. Please, raise awareness and get this fixed!
I also strongly suggest viewing this large document dedicated to logging info on The Bounce Glitch. Share it around!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I realized there wasn't a proper thread for The Bounce Glitch, so I thought I'd come here in my quest to spread awareness about this horrible thing. I made a SmashWiki page with permission from Serpent King, but that ain't enough lol

Veteran K. Rool players from around January 2019 may remember this glitch:
Doesn't it just make the bile rise in your throat? This glitch has a name: The Bounce Glitch.

So now that the absolute horror that is Isabelle rocketing up with no hitstun from DThrow has got your attention, let's explain The Bounce Glitch. This eldritch horror of video game programming occurs because of K. Rool's DThrow having some really stupid quirks. The throw point doesn't actually hit the floor, and due to this along with Environmental Collision Boxes (ECBs), there are times where the game will decide to bury opponents in the air. As this is actually impossible, the game will proceed to immediately unbury the opponent and put them in a falling state with very little lag. As a result, DThrow goes from a kill setup to a neutral reset. This glitch also affects Banjo but I have very little footage of it.

So, how does The Bounce Glitch happen in-context? Glad you asked! There are two known ways this glitch can occur. Let's go over them one-by-one.

Slope Bounce Glitch
This is the most common one. The Slope Bounce Glitch occurs because the throw point puts the opponent in the air while their ECB can't help relocate them to the ground. As a result, the instant aerial unbury occurs. This most frequently happens on Yoshi's Story and Lylat Cruise. This is the insanity I showed up above. I'm not sure how to really avoid this but waiting and pummelling has helped.

This glitch can also cause opponents to be buried on Randall in Hazards On format, but that's not played too often. This is a side-effect of the game attempting to relocate players to where they're meant to be. Since the slope is considered the air, it looks for the closest thing that can be seen as ground and well...Randall rides by and it's like "aight there's the right spot". If Randall goes into the stage (which he likely will if buried on the right), opponents will get the instant unbury effect.

Platdrop Bounce Glitch
This is a more weird one. If opponents drop through platforms roughly around the time K. Rool grabs them, they're put into a glitched state where they're considered airborne. As a result, when thrown, The Bounce Glitch will happen. I have a Twitch clip of this where it happened live, and due to the Corrin player's mashing, they buffered a UAir, allowing NiP to get a punish. Usually, this leads to a heavy punish, but there's a nice silver lining.
This, technically, gives the opponent counterplay to DThrow USmash on platforms. Simply trying a platdrop and reaching at least frame 4 for most characters will cause the airborne state to apply, leaving K. Rool unable to go for the DThrow. And unlike the Slope version, this cannot be stopped.

Anyway, that's all for now. Please, raise awareness and get this fixed!
I also strongly suggest viewing this large document dedicated to logging info on The Bounce Glitch. Share it around!
I'll try and help to spread the word.

Top Bottom