• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ken Combo viability

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
So, we all know that Roy can Ken combo pretty much all of the cast at certain percents, usually around the 25-35% mark. It's a little difficult at first, but once you have the timing down it's pretty easy to land consistently. But I was wondering if it's really the most optimal way to combo with fair.

Situation: fair a 30-40% character offstage, following up. You can fair for a true 22% and wreck some bad horizontal recoveries, or fair > dair can finish the stock on lighter characters, or 26%/21% and an even more difficult position for opponents....but hard to recover from since you're so far out.

I mean, it's really cool and a good early finish, but if it was really that useful...wouldn't everyone would be doing it already?

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
So, we all know that Roy can Ken combo pretty much all of the cast at certain percents, usually around the 25-35% mark. It's a little difficult at first, but once you have the timing down it's pretty easy to land consistently. But I was wondering if it's really the most optimal way to combo with fair.

Situation: fair a 30-40% character offstage, following up. You can fair for a true 22% and wreck some bad horizontal recoveries, or fair > dair can finish the stock on lighter characters, or 26%/21% and an even more difficult position for opponents....but hard to recover from since you're so far out.

I mean, it's really cool and a good early finish, but if it was really that useful...wouldn't everyone would be doing it already?
The problem with it is that it is not reliable. If you notice your opponent has a tendency to air dodge, then read the airdodge and hit him with the Dair. If they airdodge, Then Fair-Dair becomes a true combo. The problem is, it is a read and a rather risky one. Especially when other options that are almost as good but with low-risk, high reward instead of medium risk, high reward.

I haven't done this combo much, but I am assuming it relies on the opponent not reacting or an airdodge.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
The problem with it is that it is not reliable. If you notice your opponent has a tendency to air dodge, then read the airdodge and hit him with the Dair. If they airdodge, Then Fair-Dair becomes a true combo. The problem is, it is a read and a rather risky one. Especially when other options that are almost as good but with low-risk, high reward instead of medium risk, high reward.

I haven't done this combo much, but I am assuming it relies on the opponent not reacting or an airdodge.
Roy's ken combo is true tho. You can't airdodge since you're still in hitstun.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
If the percent window was bigger it would be more viable but Roy usually gets over 25-35% quickly with his damage output/followups, I rather just land another offstage Fair and retreat to the ledge to get stage control.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
If the percent window was bigger it would be more viable but Roy usually gets over 25-35% quickly with his damage output/followups, I rather just land another offstage Fair and retreat to the ledge to get stage control.
You can shark opponents off platforms with a fair and then dair, while still being safe and close to the ledge

Top Bottom