• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Killer Instinct series discussion thread

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Since I was in high school I frequented the official Ultra-Combo forums that were attached to the official website for the actual Killer Instinct 2013 reboot, and for a while it was a tonne of fun! I loved the series, a new game was in active long term development, and the developers themselves would frequently post on them to discuss the game and interact with the fans. It was such a nice experience that I haven't left for years... until now. See... over the years things have changed over there. Now the only people over there are fighting game dude-bros who just say blatantly sexist and transphobic things with zero mod intervention, which is particularly uncomfortable for me (a trans-woman). So I decided to leave the site, despite the memories and sentimental value it still kind of holds to me. It's just not a positive place to be anymore.

But I still want to talk about KI.

So I figured I'd start a discussion thread over here for people who like Killer Instinct to talk about the series! All three installments and their many ports, your wishes for it's future, your theories about the lore, your OCs, your fanart, your experience playing the game, heck we could even organize online matches. Everything KI is on the table!

Just no blatant transphobia, sexism, or really bigotry of any kind. I don't want to deal with that again.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
My first exposure to KI was years ago playing a lot of Killer Instinct Gold at my uncle's house that I loved so much. I bought an Xbox One just to play the 2013 reboot (and Rare Replay) and I never regretted that decision ever since.

I just love KI.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I first discovered it thanks to Death Battle and their Yoshi vs. Riptor fight. I was already a dinosaur freak so Riptor became my favorite fighting game character ever and I started counting the days until a new KI game happened so I could play as her. Thankfully it happened relatively quickly and the reboot existing was the reason I got an Xbox One over a PS4. I have so many fond memories following that game through it's development, it basically was my entire highschool experience. I always bought the ultra editions of each season so I also had the classic arcade games too and I thought they looked amazing... I sucked ass at them. Still can't get very far in either classic game. I'm pretty good at the reboot though.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Gonna post my huge list of Killer Instinct OCs I've accumulated over the years.
Overall Context: So I imagine the next KI going down the post apocalyptic world ruled by Ultratech rout the original series was in because it kind of just makes sense. Gargos ruined the world and it's in a perfect state for ARIA and Ultratech to seize control of it. There are still functional cities, but only in places where Ultratech has chosen to revitelize so they can have a better control over the population. She has also reinstated the Killer Instinct tournament and it's now a massive yearly event. I imagine the tournament having this really shady Mad Max vibe to it. And it attracts all sorts of new fighters.

Rasputin: The True Tsar vampire from the comics. I just want to see him become playable. I call him Rasputin just because Cinder jokingly called him that in the comic and we have no other name for him. I only bring him up because A: He's on my list, and B: A handful of other characters I created tie into his story.

Arianna: ARIA's clone human body from the Novella. She can freely switch between it and her standard body and tends to use it as her disguise while interacting with humans. In this form, she puts on a very cold and serious yet exaggeratedly funny CEO persona, but she's not actually like that. It's literally just a persona she's constructed from movies to make her human form seam more human. It's all fake. When she fights in this form she wields a special mech battle suit ala Lex Luthor with everything from lasers, guns, and rocket boosters to missiles, sonic pulse blasts, and a kind of energy sword.

Werowance: This is the Algonquian word for leader or king. The Algonquian people are the native tribes where Wendigo legends primarily originate from. And this guy is the leader of Rasputin's Wendigo armies. He is more intelligent then most Wendigo, but he's also far more vicious. He's a result of Rasputin's Wendigo "breeding" program (wendigos don't breed like other creatures do) to bend the curse into creating strong warriors for him. And as such he has a handful of other animal parts like small rabbit ears and bat wings.

Marcus Andriy: The champion of the Killer Instinct Tournament and entirely a puppet of Ultratech. I want him to be like a Rocky villain crossed with a Spartan Gladiator crossed with a wrestling heel. He primarily fights with a mix of boxing and wrestling, but when he goes into his instinct mode he pulls out an energy short-sword and shield (in Instinct he's theoretically about to loose so he's gonna start to cheat).

Jack Matthews: This guy is my spoof on the Dirty Harry trope. Before the Gargos war, he was a renegade cop who doesn't play by the rules. And now he makes the rules because he RUNS Ultratech's police force. And his violence first and kill on sight approach to policing has brought both order and terror to the streets of Ultratech's cities. He's got all the advanced military grade weapons you'd expect to see a policeman weilding, but amped up by Ultratech's science.

Roxxy Rave: The concept version of Orchid. Red suit, blond hair, bo staff. However she is a spy for Ultratech and not the Disavowed and her cover is as the MC of the Killer Instinct tournament (like Michael Buffer). She's grandiose and over the top and really knows how to work a crowd. And she weilds the bo staff with deadly precision.

Hatya: The Indian word for murder. Dr. Erin Gupte (the scientist behind the Riptor project) created this monster as the ultimate weapon for Ultratech. It's one of the biggest monsters you can play as in KI. And it looks like a kind of monster fusion of a Spinosaurus, a Utahraptor, a triceratops, a stegosaurus, and a quetzocoatelus (yes, it does look a lot like Ridley from Metroid). Unfortunately, when Gupta was using her mind synch training on the beast, it ate her. Unfortunately for everyone else, in death the mind synch transferred her mind into Hatya's body. She has been lurking in one of Ultratech's jungle-esque Riptor habitats for years now, loosing it even more then she already had. And now... she's out.

Blackwater: My take on the Sharkman idea, basically Ultratech wanted to create an Underwater Riptor. So they started with Shark DNA and some leftover DNA they took from TJ Combo. Then fused it with DNA from an Octopus to get this brutish shark man monster with octopus tenticles coming out of his back and a very mixed up anatomy. He has a few other Marine Predators in his genome, but it's almost impossible to parse out which ones.

Galatea: Ben Ferris’s mother, taught him everything he knows. In life she developed her own fighting style derived from sumo wrestling. After she died, Ultratech exhumed her body and re-animated her into a Frankenstein’s monster type creature with increased strength and electrical powers.

Ditso the Clown: This is how you can tell I'm a FNaF fan lol. Back when society had not collapsed, Ultratech has briefly invested some of it's media branch resources into creating a chain of animatronic pizza arcades for children as a source of excess revenue during the 90s (when that craze was at it's peak). Ditso was the clown leader of the group of animatronic performers and she was a kind of Jessica Rabbit clown with very thinly veiled innuendos as most of her lines. Unfortunately, the engineer who created the robots was lazy and gutted a prototype FULGORE for parts to create her. And as such, when one of the girls she was performing for just happened to remember a known advocate against Ultratech, she came off the stage and killed her. Ultratech shut the chain down and locked the robots in storage. Unbeknownst to anyone at all (because how could they know?) the little girl's spirit had posessed the robot in confusion and is now locked in a giant Ultratech warehouse filled with weapons. Driven mad by the isolation, she haphazardly tore up her own body and replaced pieces of it with weapons in the warehouse. One arm is now a chainsaw, the other is a chain gun. She has machine gun breast plates, a sonic blaster in her mouth, and a flaming tail pipe coming out of her head. Basically Alisa from Tekken gone very very wrong.

Kelvin: The alien criminal Glacius chased to Earth according to his bios in Shadow Lords. Has a rushdown playstyle. Is a bit of a mad scientist.

Sol Dakurai: One of the three people who attempted a coupe against the Babylonian king with Kan-Ra and Spinal. Since he was heralded in battle as an invincible warrior, the king cursed him to never heal from any injury. He managed to get the deranged Kan-Ra to put him into a deep "suspended animation"-esque sleep for centuries until he could find a cure. But Kan-Ra never tried to find a cure and just left him in his tomb. Eventually he was woken during the Gargos war. And began wandering the earth with his trusty hammer in search of a cure. Eventually, he managed to break into an Ultratech data center and learned much. Including of Glacius, the arctic alien who was able to completely heal and restore Eagle. He journied North to find him and force him to heal him, only to find Kelvin instead. Kelvin injected him with nanotechnology to basically heal his body for him, but they also cause his body to amalgamate with the alien tech in the wreckage of Glacius's ship and some Fulgore parts. Basically my take on this "Organic Fulgore" concept Kevin Baylis once made.

PinCushion: Another Kevin Baylis concept. Basically is what the picture says he is. Though I have given him the extra context of being a creation of the cult of G'tharka. Who is that? Find out further down.

Sinterklaas: One of my favorite ideas. Battle Santa. Basically, he's an immortal Knight who was blessed by the Ichoriens to become the "God of Charity". His deeds inspired the Santa Clause stories, and like Vandal Savege from DC (weirdly enough) he has had many names and aliases over the years. He has taken up the sword in the modern era to defend people from Ultratech and the upcoming supernatural crisis. He also has kind of embraced the Santa Clause mythos by giving toys he steals from Ultratech's cities to children at night when he visits the poorer towns on the outskirts of the empire, as well as performing charitable deeds. In a world like this, they need this just as much as they need a badass knight protecting them.

Sun Wukong: Basically, exactly what the Chinese story says he is, aiming to be one of the more folklore accurate takes on him. Tough with a few DBZ-esque quirks. He has been sleeping for centuries because of the lack of worthy opponents. But now, after the Gargos war and with the founding of the Killer Instinct Tournament, he has returned to stretch his legs and get into some good fights.

Ah Muzen Cab: An old god, as old as the bees he presides over, but with nothing recorded in history about him except his name and a few sparce legends. He is a powerful force, capable of controlling his precious swarming brood as well as the honey they produce. And now he’s out for revenge. The only bees left are his. Bees were already on thin ice thanks to humanity’s environmental negligence before the Gargos war, and now in it’s aftermath with Ultratech running the planet, they’re all but extinct. So now he’s mad as a hornet and ready to reinstate the natural order.

Master Abbot: A powerful Martial Arts master who is reborn every time his body dies. Now like reincarnation or whatever. He's literally the same guy every time, just in a younger body. At this point in his life he is once again in the body of a young teenager. But he has centuries of martial arts knowledge as well as psychic abilities to help him in battle. He has left the temple he lives in in search of an old friend who he can sense has returned.

Amat: A poor peasant woman from pre-Islamic Arabia who was tricked into swapping places with a Djinn. She has all the magical powers of a Djinn but is also trapped in the bottle. Ultratech has freed her to use her as a combatant in the Killer Instinct Tournament. And she is the old friend Master Abbot sensed (he met her on a pilgrimage before she was tricked into becoming a Djinn), and he wants to free her. She wields a scimitar in addition to her Djinn powers.

Lóth naneth: Most of her species of ents (tree people) are extinct and she was captured by Ultratech to be an attraction at the Killer Instinct tournaments. She just wants to escape and return to nature. She has a Swamp Thing type bulkiness to her and can stretch and slam her arms around, as well as other plant powers like spore clouds and seed bombs.

G’tharka: One of the Shadow Lords alongside Gargos. A powerful Lovecraftian god who was sealed away at the bottom of the ocean long ago. Gargos invading woke him up as well as the other imprisoned Shadow Lords. And all four (Gargos included) are the big bads of this hypothetical KI4. I imagine him invoking the Lovecraftian elements you don't typically see in media. I don't want just a big squid monster. I want him to take some of the lesser-known aspects while still being a very clear world ending and unknowable horror.

Moluska: Another Kevin Bayliss concept character. I have given them the context of being G'tharka's equivalent to Dormammu's mindless ones.

Bhalnon: A Scottish king from the middle ages who slaughtered his way into becoming a Shadow Lord. Literally killing thousands of people, whole armies by himself, and absorbing their souls until he just became powerful enough to become a Shadow Lord. I imagine him looking like a Dark Souls version of Sauron and he has this huge sword like Guts's or Cloud's that he holds behind his back and wields with one hand.

Hannya: The final Shadow Lord, or I guess Shadow Lady. Hannya is... well.. a Hannya. A Japanese demon who was once a human woman who became so overcome with a desire for vengeance that she became a powerful demon. I imagine her kind of transforming as you play as her, with her becoming more bestial and monstrous as the fight goes on depending on how you perform. Each stage having its own positives and negatives.

Edson: The Rare fan in me couldn't resist. This guy was going to be the star of the game that would eventually become Banjo-Kazooie. As a young boy he sailed the seven seas battling the notorious Pirate Captain Blackeye before besting him in their final showdown and trapping him in a magic painting (bet you didn't expect continuity with Banjo-Kazooie in these did ya?). Now he's an adult and a swashbuckling warrior who sails the ocean as a kind of Pirate Robin Hood. How is he in modern times? He doesn't really know. All he knows is that he sailed into a storm and he, his elderly dog Dinger, and his ship ended up in modern times. Almost like someone brought him here.

Coyote: A Nez Perce woman who took on the persona of the folkloric Coyote trickster to lead the revolution against Ultratech. Her revolutionaries are way more violent and public and showy than Orchid and the Disavowed, and because of that she's kind of an anti-villain. She’s also trans.

Exocite: These alien lifeforms are the most feared things in the universe, adapting to new planets very quickly and spreading like a virus. An egg was stored on Glacius’s ship when it crashed and was forgotten among the chaos of his fight with Sadira and subsequent hunt for Kelvin and his Power Core. The creature eventually hatched and began slowly but steadily spreading and forming it’s new hive. They’re skeletally thin bodies should not deceive you, they are incredibly strong and their sharp claws can tear through solid Kelridium (the material starship hulls are made of). They almost look like a strange cross between a crocodile, a cockroach, a leech, and a pissed off lemur. This fighter has a unique mechanic where it can steal blood from it’s opponant and then lay an egg, which will eventually hatch and grow into a new Exocite that will take the original’s place as it flees. This does not refill it’s health, but it does allow it to copy some of it’s opponents moves, as all of the moves that resulted in the original Exocite draining blood will now be replaced with moves from it’s opponant. It’s body shape will even change slightly to reflect the opponant it copied.

Ajag: sent by the Galactic Alliance to recover Kelvin and the Exocite egg after his long absence on the planet earth led them to assume he was dead. He’s tough as nails and bad to the bone, armed with two deadly electrical whips and a deadly healing factor.

Ultra-Champion: Created by Ultratech using the DNA of all the many warriors they’ve encountered over the past decade as a figurehead and “people’s champion”, Ultra-Champion was force grown in a lab in two weeks and implanted with false memories to make him an easily manipulatable and uber powerful weapon. Dressed in a costume that can only be described as “90’s Image Comics-Tastic”, he can fly, has super strength, can fire bolts of energy from his eyes and hands, vibrate his molecules to phase through solid matter, and even manipulate objects with telekinesis. He’s also extremely violent and volatile, while appearing friendly to the public and unable to disobey an order from ARIA, his mind is broken and he will snap you like a twig if you even slightly irritate him.

And finally, This isn't really an OC but I just like this idea too much. Rare made Goldeneye 007. So you take that version of James Bond and put him in here as a guest (I know how much licensing that would require, shush) but pull an Old Man Logan with him. Like he's still James Bond but he's older and isolated, living in this post-apocalyptic world before being called back into action.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Stumbled upon the game on the Xbox marketplace probably around 2013 or 2014 & tried it since it was free to play. Admitedly wasnt too into 2-D fighters at the time but this was one of the games that started to warm me up to the genre. Didnt even know its history or that Rare made the originals until later. Eventually tried the older ones too but only a little bit & is something i definitely need to go back to & cross off my backlog at some point.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just got back into the new game thanks to that anniversary patch that just came out. I've dipped my toes into online, though I'm not that great at the game (I've only won about three or four matches, and in two of those, my opponent was away from their keyboard).

So far, I've been going between a few characters - I've enjoyed playing as Fulgore, and when I play as Rash, I usually use this costume:

I've got to represent Rare somehow!

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
If Nintendo/Microsoft decide to add Killer Instinct Gold to NSO, it MUST NOT restrict us to use NSO's only button layout. The game will be flat-out unplayable with the current NSO button layout.

Heck, N64 NSO as a whole NEEDS to allow us do button remapping.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
If Nintendo/Microsoft decide to add Killer Instinct Gold to NSO, it MUST NOT restrict us to use NSO's only button layout. The game will be flat-out unplayable with the current NSO button layout.

Heck, N64 NSO as a whole NEEDS to allow us do button remapping.
I don’t get why they don’t allow it. They already allow it for the other systems don’t they?

At the very least you can universally remap the buttons in the main system but we shouldn’t have to work around that.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I don’t get why they don’t allow it. They already allow it for the other systems don’t they?

At the very least you can universally remap the buttons in the main system but we shouldn’t have to work around that.
Other systems don't have this option either but they don't really need it, outside of N64 and Genesis.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You know it still bothers me that there are no uploads of all the Shadow Lords Mode Dossiers on the internet. SOMEONE has to have unlocked them all, but they aren't on the wiki and googling it produces no results. It's kinda lame.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
You know it still bothers me that there are no uploads of all the Shadow Lords Mode Dossiers on the internet. SOMEONE has to have unlocked them all, but they aren't on the wiki and googling it produces no results. It's kinda lame.
I would've thought that too. I really want easy access to that juicy lore.

Top Bottom