• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede: Subspace Role?

fluffy1021

Smash Apprentice
I believe that in the Subspace emissary, King Dedede will be a villian. If you look at the events mode update, you will see it's called "Two trouble Kings". I think the description says that mario fights two greedy kings this time. And, since king dedede is paired with bowser, and Sakurai said he was "the self-proclaimed king of dreamland" I think he will be the villian. I know, I know, he is not always a real villian, but that is just the evidence I found. Any speculation?

P.S. This is only my second thread, so I am new here. My other thread is going better than I thought it would. It is in general brawl discussion, and it is called something like "Characters and their stages: fit thier theme, but not their ability?".

PIT_IS_BACK

Smash Journeyman
Dedede isnt a bad guy....hes sense of good is just....uhh..."odd".....Sure hes the self-proclaimed king of dreamland....but thats just not a title! He has tried to save it a few times.

fluffy1021

Smash Apprentice
could be. mabey dark matter is a boss. if you beat king dedede, he will join your team, mabey kirbys? but like i said, the events update could prove to make him a villian. i originaly thought he'd be a villian anyway, but a few people had been saying he might be a good guy.

pezmaniac

Smash Rookie
him and bowser maybe are working together and they stole the banana hoard and sent petey after peach and zelda

Shadowball Enthusiast

Smash Cadet
Dedede in SE
kirby and peach flee to dream land, when the arrive waddledees raise the alarm and you must fight your way through to dedede's throneroom when you get there kirby tries to talk to dedede about what the trouble is, dedede apears to be contimplating this with his head in the shadows he leans forward his eyes are glowing purple, he gets up and rasies his hammer, laughing is heard gannondorf walks out off the shadows standing at the ready, you must fight them both

T-major

Smash Champion
Dedede in SE
kirby and peach flee to dream land, when the arrive waddledees raise the alarm and you must fight your way through to dedede's throneroom when you get there kirby tries to talk to dedede about what the trouble is, dedede apears to be contimplating this with his head in the shadows he leans forward his eyes are glowing purple, he gets up and rasies his hammer, laughing is heard gannondorf walks out off the shadows standing at the ready, you must fight them both
THERES NO DOUBLE-N IN GANON!!! D:<

that being said, I think it would make more sense for Dark Matter to control Dedede. you fight Possessed Dedede (who would have the same moves as Normal Dedede, but be stronger) then Dark matter would appear out of Dedede, in his swordsman form from Kirby's Adventure 2, and you fight him. after that you unlock Dark Matter, because he would an awesome character...

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I guess I'd be an jerk if I pointed out that there's already a pretty long thread about this very subject not three spaces down from this one.

In any case, I for one don't see Dedede joining the SE, it's not really in his character.

Williampettysan

Smash Journeyman
In any case, I for one don't see Dedede joining the SE, it's not really in his character.
I agree, and Metaknight's in the SE I think Dedede will be evil but not with the SE.

fluffy1021

Smash Apprentice
well, we know metaknights ship is being controlled by the primid, or he is a villian in SE. if metaknight is in SE, i think so will dedede.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I agree, and Metaknight's in the SE I think Dedede will be evil but not with the SE.
He is? Meta Knight was never seen, but his ship was. My theory is that the SE stole his ship. I don't think Meta Knight or Dedede will be evil, they're not really evil in the games, Dedede's just greedy and proud, and Meta Knight usually fights Kirby in a noble setting (and in Revenge of Meta Knight he was trying to "save Dreamland citizens from lazyness," albeit in an inherently destructive way)

Also, I think Dark Matter controlling villai to help to SE might be a bit cliche and/or detract a bit...

fluffy1021

Smash Apprentice
this might be one of sakurais last kirby related game, right? he will probably try and fit as much kirby in as possible.

WarioII

Smash Apprentice
Dedede in SE
that is great lol i can picture gannondorf with that evil grin on his face commin from the shadows

linkrulezz

Smash Cadet
Dedede in SE
kirby and peach flee to dream land, when the arrive waddledees raise the alarm and you must fight your way through to dedede's throneroom when you get there kirby tries to talk to dedede about what the trouble is, dedede apears to be contimplating this with his head in the shadows he leans forward his eyes are glowing purple, he gets up and rasies his hammer
then he calls guard you have to fight guard and then king dedede and wen you beat him he will be normal and then they think its meta-knight in the ship and they want to defeat him so king dedede teams up with kirby so they go after meta-knight ship then travveling they find meta-knight and so the know the ship was stolen so peach teams up with meta-knight and kirby with king dedede and they split up

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
Dedede? Villain?

Unless he's controlled by Dark Matter, the SSE or some other force, I couldn't see Dedede being evil. Maybe a *******, like Wario, but certainly not some one who would openly do things that would eventually lead to jeopardizing his own life and rule.

Take for example, Kirby's Adventure/Nightmare in Dream Land. The entire reason why Dedede broke up the Star Rod was to make it so The Nightmare couldn't threaten Dream Land (and thus, himself). Dedede's way of going about things was perhaps a bit misguided, but in the end, he did do what would be considered a predominantly "good thing". And for the times when he was an antagonist, again, it was either for some relatively selfish thing (stealing all of the food from Dream Land for himself), or he was being controlled (by Dark Matter).

So, I'm predicting that you probably WILL have to fight Dedede on probably a number of possible routes in SSE. But like Bowser, Dedede is more interesting in being large, in charge and maintaining his life and freedom. Once he gets brought to reason, he'll switch permanently to the side of good, at least, for as long as it stands to benefit him.

3D King

Smash Journeyman
King Dedede has fought for good if it benefited him more than evil did, and I think saving his kingdom and himself is better for him than getting everything he owns sent to subspace. Unless Dedede knows something others don't (Subspace army are actually good guys) or if he was tricked (hey, Subspace has tons of food and everyone there will worship you as a god!) or bribed (infinte food and servants)...or they can go with old cliche possession by Dark Matter.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Metaknight is good and teams up with the ice climbers, and metaknight is like dedede in where he isnt a bad guy really so maybe dedede is actually a good guy.

either way, I wanted to see ANY footage of him in the video we got today... ****, nothing at all...

3D King

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight is good and teams up with the ice climbers, and metaknight is like dedede in where he isnt a bad guy really so maybe dedede is actually a good guy.

either way, I wanted to see ANY footage of him in the video we got today... ****, nothing at all...
Well, Metaknight was really only portrayed in a bad light once (Meta Knight's Revenge), where as Dedede is more often portrayed as a greedy, selfish, all-around mean guy . There was a reason why Kirby didn't just ask Dedede why he stole the star rod or why Kirby first suspected him and not Meta Knight when his cake was stolen.

Edit: Hmmm I seem to be rocking back and forth between "he's good" and "he's bad." While I certainly don't believe he's pure evil like Ganondorf or Bowser appear to be, I don't see him being a main protaganist against Subspace either.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
These are descriptions I like the most

Metaknight:
"Even if he has antagonistic qualities, he seems to be a guardian of Dreamland much akin to Kirby. Indeed, he has even come to Kirby's aid in more than one occasion which brings to question his motives and beliefs. It could be thought that when Meta Knight fights Kirby he is not necessarily trying to stop him, but rather test Kirby's skill, determination, and courage. Perhaps it is because he wishes to ally only with one who is worthy? Perhaps it is to prepare Kirby for the challenges to come? At any rate, he is certainly not an "evil" character." - T!mmy

King Dedede:
"Although he is not necessarily evil, he causes many problems for the inhabitants of Dream Land through selfish mischief, such as stealing their food or building a castle on top of the Fountain Of Dreams, so that the denizens suffer from dreamless sleep. His more heinous actions are more often due to possession by more sinister entity of Dark Matter, along with the rest of the usual franchise enemies. Despite this, he and Kirby have teamed up on occasions with the purpose of taking down a greater common foe."

King Dedede has helped Kirby take out the bigger enemies before, I think he'll help vs Subspace. Like wasnt the reason he stole the starrod was to break it up to not let it fall into Nightmares hands I think the enemies name was.

I dont see King Dedede being a subspace pawn, hes greedy and likes ruling all to himself. He dosent want a real evil to cramp his style and interupt it. I dont see Bowser or Ganondorf wanting to be subspace pawns either. Maybe they go along with subspace but after they realize their being used they turn on them.. and its like everyone vs subspace eventually. :p

An interesting thought on Metaknight is:

Maybe Meta-Knight was going along with it untill he learned of their true intentions, but before he could act the Ancient Minister has him "trophie-phied" and dumped on an iceberg. Hence the fighting we saw along side the Ice Climbers

3D King

Smash Journeyman
These are descriptions I like the most

Metaknight:
"Even if he has antagonistic qualities, he seems to be a guardian of Dreamland much akin to Kirby. Indeed, he has even come to Kirby's aid in more than one occasion which brings to question his motives and beliefs. It could be thought that when Meta Knight fights Kirby he is not necessarily trying to stop him, but rather test Kirby's skill, determination, and courage. Perhaps it is because he wishes to ally only with one who is worthy? Perhaps it is to prepare Kirby for the challenges to come? At any rate, he is certainly not an "evil" character." - T!mmy

King Dedede:
"Although he is not necessarily evil, he causes many problems for the inhabitants of Dream Land through selfish mischief, such as stealing their food or building a castle on top of the Fountain Of Dreams, so that the denizens suffer from dreamless sleep. His more heinous actions are more often due to possession by more sinister entity of Dark Matter, along with the rest of the usual franchise enemies. Despite this, he and Kirby have teamed up on occasions with the purpose of taking down a greater common foe."

King Dedede has helped Kirby take out the bigger enemies before, I think he'll help vs Subspace. Like wasnt the reason he stole the starrod was to break it up to not let it fall into Nightmares hands I think the enemies name was.

I dont see King Dedede being a subspace pawn, hes greedy and likes ruling all to himself. He dosent want a real evil to cramp his style and interupt it. I dont see Bowser or Ganondorf wanting to be subspace pawns either. Maybe they go along with subspace but after they realize their being used they turn on them.. and its like everyone vs subspace eventually. :p

An interesting thought on Metaknight is:

Maybe Meta-Knight was going along with it untill he learned of their true intentions, but before he could act the Ancient Minister has him "trophie-phied" and dumped on an iceberg. Hence the fighting we saw along side the Ice Climbers
I don't see Bowser as much more evil than Dedede, he doesn't like being anyone's pawn, is very greedy, will fight for good when it benefits him, but today's update makes him appear to be on Subspace's team. So whatever they're doing to control him, could be used to control Dedede. I doubt either of them will stay pawns for long, but they will at be pawns to start off.

Side note: Ganondorf on the other hand is utterly bonkers and will do anything for power or the destruction of Hyrule, two things Subspace can offer. But this of course isn't a "Ganondorf's Role in Subspace" thread :).

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Yeah thats true... Bowser and Dedede are very similiar. Bowser just might be a little more evil, taking hostages :p. Thats a notch above stealing food (perhaps, since no food means mass starvation of dreamland people..)

So yeah that seems right. Dedede and Bowser will probally start off evil with ill intent but then turn their backs on SSE later on after some revelation, maybe the brain control wears off or they just realize their being used as pawns and they were promised more power. Bowser and Dedede would probally go along with stopping the good guys if they were promised more stuff for them.

Yeah, Ganondorf is more like that hehe. Wario.. who knows. Maybe Subspace just promised him snacks for life. :laugh:

But back to just Dededes actual role in subspace... I wonder whos plans he will get into. Bowser staged the bannana heist to confront Diddy and Donkey Kong, maybe what happens is Bowser trophy-fies DK and Diddy runs off for help and runs into Fox, and they go back for DK and run into Bowser. I wonder who Dedede will intercept and the event he will do/stage.

I wonder about the whole recruiting process either.. if Subspace will have character intros like Dedede sitting at his castle and then the subspace promises him more power if he goes after these characters or etc.. Then off he goes. Or if they just brute force and control them, but wouldnt they just do that to everyone? I think its more free will, like Bowser is promised more power so he goes along with Subspace but later will go against them.

at any rate, subspace really interests me. :psycho:

fluffy1021

Smash Apprentice
good ideas. however, i still dont see characters like bowser teaming up with mario. mabey dedede will end up being good, after he realizes hes being cheated. lol actually, it would be a bit funny to see mario and bowser paired up in the end though.

EDIT: how could i forget? mario and bowser teamed up in super paper mario. bowser was angry that count bleck was the one doing all the evil stuff or something liuke that, and went agianst him. i guess i can see him doingv that agianst subspace.

dimentio for brawl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Isn't Dedede the main antoginast, he is really evil I agree, but he is bad in some ways.
Fluffy1021, Dedede joins kirby for his own selfishness as does Bowser. I would expect him to be in there but as a villan

fluffy1021

Smash Apprentice
possibly. a new subspace video shows him in it for a second, for the very few of you who sad "he wont be in subspace". its a pretty stupid comment, and nobody ever actually doubted it except for those few people i heard.

LotusMyuushin

Smash Apprentice
I think he reads/hears about the subspace attacking the Stadium, laughing at how Kirby got kicked out and goes to take a nap on his throne. The next thing he hears is the Halberd flying over his castle, while several Primids invade the castle. You fight as Dedede for a moment to kick some Primids, but when you beat them a stronger Primid kicks Dedede out of his castle. Dedede tries to get it back, but is easily kicked out. Then he goes off to find Kirby, of which he hopes will help him.

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
In the vid we got with Dedede in the SSE it looks like he's riding in the same area that Link and Yoshi were running in so he probably goes up against them.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Here's my take:

It was a normal day. King Dedede doing whatever giant penguins do,and the Halebird comes in and attacks. It destroys his castle. King Dedede then sets off to show them that they messed with the wrong Monarch. He later teams up with Olimar and his Pikmin.

Top Bottom