• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Guide

BunBun

Smash Master
So, if I were to undertake the process of overhauling/completing/redoing/makingmyversionof the Kirby guide, would anyone care?
Like, would it be worth the effort? I would like to have more updated information and tactics that are more relevant today.

I also want to have detailed write-ups on every matchup in respect to today's metagame. Preferably, these will be dynamic and updated periodically.

Could the other active Kirby players give me a hand with this?

Does anyone even want to see it?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
there is by no means any form of a need of a kirby guide really nothing new has come up however i'm totally for it, I understand the need to share your veiws and etc. i'll read it.

go for it bunbun. also give stage advice

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
A new Kirby guide would be excellent.

I have trouble organizing my thoughts, so I really like having well-structured resources that I can refer to.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
is it started or are we not cool enough :( I feel sooo lonely I wish there was a sad verion of the ! so we would understand my pain more.

! !
/\

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
I have to admit, making a guide would be great. It will attract more people to take a look at Kirby. I believe he has a lot of potential, like pichu, but there is no one to really unlock it.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
As much of a person I am for you just got to believe and you'll win I don't really go that with people that haven't had any form of change to their metagame since wavedashing and i'm uber easy to camp. tier.

I like playing as kirby when I want to die WTF last stock SD and their on their 2nd last XD

how i'd love it if you proved me wrong so much. but really kirby is one of the only charcters I don't have a crazy fun way to play as, I SHFFL with the c-stick as bowser, I use f-tilt really neat as falco and I use the shine for platform mindgames, I do many different edge gaurding things as sheik, and I have the most ******** pichu the earth has ever seen I use side-B as an approach because that's what they don't think i'll do.

kirby just seems uber straight forward without the options.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Man. I want to advance the Kirby metagame so badly. He's such a bad character, but I love taking a little and doing a lot with it. :)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I hope you do go somewhere with him I just simply don't think he has a chance to really advance much. kindof like bowser it's like well he has up-B and .... yeah.

Triple R

Smash Lord
kirby smashes and nair need to be experimented more i think. I've been practicing stuff I haven't ever seen in videos. Basically I've been trying out the sour spots of his smashes, mainly usmash and fsmash cause they can be comboed out of. If the opponent has bad DI you can weak fsmash a fox twice into uair/fair. The only problem with this is hitting with the sour spots in the first place. The only reliable way I have been able to gaurentee a sour spot hit is to jab reset someone and start the smash before they stand up so by the time they stand you hit them with the sour spot, but I guess this only applies to fsmash and dsmash. You can sour spot usmash in front just by spacing it, which i'm pretty sure you can combo out of.

So jab reset setups. I'm been trying to think of ways. I hinted at fairs 4th hit to jab reset earlier without explaining anything. On spacies if you hit them with the 4th hit they will fall down at ALL percents, even at 0% (well I didn't test at really high percents, but it worked at least to 100% I'm pretty sure). Since they will always fall down, you can jab reset them by wavedashing toward them. You can do this because the 4th hit feels like it has a set knockback (i don't think it does, but it might), and it's the perfect length for a perfect kirby wavedash. If you're opponent has trouble teching the 4th hit (complete noob) you could carry them across the stage with a 4th hit reset cycle. Or even, though basically impossible, if you had the skill to make the 4th hit hit them the opposite way you're facing, it could be an infinite. But of course it's not, because you can tech it.
Another jab reset senario i thought of it out of utilt. You can simply let them fall and hit the ground because they expect you to keep hitting them with utilt or something. Never know
Lastly I kinda practiced utilt to nair to wavedash jab reset. Basically on fast fallers you can nair them after utilt at medium to high percents and if they don't tech it, it should be a free jab reset.
These are just a few ways i thought of jab reset setups when tinkering with weak smashes. Some food for thought.

Edit: I guess I'll add some more thoughts in response to ICG and Taj and the recent talk about low tier viability. I honestly do think kirby has just as much of a chance of winning as much as pichu and mewtwo and the rest of low tiers. While kirby is slow I think it is an over exaggerated fact. The only situation that I don't feel I have a solid response to is a camping fox. With time I think I can work through that. Kirby may be slow in the air, but his wavedash gives kirby some surprising mobility on the ground. I think people concentrate on kirby's (and low tier's in general) many weaknesses too heavily and forget to look at the strengths that can make a low tier shine. As mentioned kirby's wavedash is actual pretty good, he has a good grab range, he has a suicide attack he can survive(though hard to pull off lmao), and his utilt is super legit. Taking advantage of strengths instead of being depressed about weaknesses will make most charcacter at least decent in tourney play. I think low tiers put a mental block of sorts in a players head because they think they are playing a bad character, which they probably are, but it's not a healthy mentality in a competive environment to have.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
kirby's tilts are amazing as big of a kirby hater as I able yeah they are great. his WD is great also just a pity he lacks more uses. however something I think you should add is the fact you can use bair camping as a distraction from what your doing.

bair space like 2 or 3 sets and then when you land rush out and Dash attack or grab **** mindgames.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
kirby smashes and nair need to be experimented more i think. I've been practicing stuff I haven't ever seen in videos. Basically I've been trying out the sour spots of his smashes, mainly usmash and fsmash cause they can be comboed out of. If the opponent has bad DI you can weak fsmash a fox twice into uair/fair. The only problem with this is hitting with the sour spots in the first place. The only reliable way I have been able to gaurentee a sour spot hit is to jab reset someone and start the smash before they stand up so by the time they stand you hit them with the sour spot, but I guess this only applies to fsmash and dsmash. You can sour spot usmash in front just by spacing it, which i'm pretty sure you can combo out of.
Could you explain to me in detail where the sourspots are on all of Kirby's smash attacks? Or if there's a thread with that information somewhere that I missed, could you link me to it, please?

I think I've got d-smash figured out pretty well. I noticed that if your opponent falls on you toward the latter part of the move, he'll be sent pretty much straight upward, and since the d-smash is ending you have a better chance of following it up. However, I'd imagine utilt is better in such a situation.

F-seems to have a vertical trajectory if you hit with the tip, while it knocks them out really far if you hit close to Kirby's body, but I don't know specifics very well.

U-smash has a million sourspots, and I don't really know their properties at all. All I know is that the sweetspot is directly in front of Kirby. The easiest way to set it up is by using it out of shield or by wavedashing back and letting them land in front of you.

So jab reset setups. I'm been trying to think of ways. I hinted at fairs 4th hit to jab reset earlier without explaining anything. On spacies if you hit them with the 4th hit they will fall down at ALL percents, even at 0% (well I didn't test at really high percents, but it worked at least to 100% I'm pretty sure). Since they will always fall down, you can jab reset them by wavedashing toward them. You can do this because the 4th hit feels like it has a set knockback (i don't think it does, but it might), and it's the perfect length for a perfect kirby wavedash. If you're opponent has trouble teching the 4th hit (complete noob) you could carry them across the stage with a 4th hit reset cycle. Or even, though basically impossible, if you had the skill to make the 4th hit hit them the opposite way you're facing, it could be an infinite. But of course it's not, because you can tech it.
Another jab reset senario i thought of it out of utilt. You can simply let them fall and hit the ground because they expect you to keep hitting them with utilt or something. Never know
Lastly I kinda practiced utilt to nair to wavedash jab reset. Basically on fast fallers you can nair them after utilt at medium to high percents and if they don't tech it, it should be a free jab reset.
These are just a few ways i thought of jab reset setups when tinkering with weak smashes. Some food for thought.
Nair is pretty good for prepping fast fallers for jab resets. The best thing about it is that they're grounded pretty much instantly, meaning they'd have to have amazing reaction time to get the tech. Primarily, SHFFL'ed nair -> wavedash -> jab reset is what I'm thinking of. D-throw and u-throw can lead to jab resets if they don't tech, although again it's only really applicable against fast fallers. Kirby's jab is about as broken as Jigglypuff's though, in terms of being low in knockback. It's pretty beast.

Edit: I guess I'll add some more thoughts in response to ICG and Taj and the recent talk about low tier viability. I honestly do think kirby has just as much of a chance of winning as much as pichu and mewtwo and the rest of low tiers. While kirby is slow I think it is an over exaggerated fact. The only situation that I don't feel I have a solid response to is a camping fox. With time I think I can work through that. Kirby may be slow in the air, but his wavedash gives kirby some surprising mobility on the ground. I think people concentrate on kirby's (and low tier's in general) many weaknesses too heavily and forget to look at the strengths that can make a low tier shine. As mentioned kirby's wavedash is actual pretty good, he has a good grab range, he has a suicide attack he can survive(though hard to pull off lmao), and his utilt is super legit. Taking advantage of strengths instead of being depressed about weaknesses will make most charcacter at least decent in tourney play. I think low tiers put a mental block of sorts in a players head because they think they are playing a bad character, which they probably are, but it's not a healthy mentality in a competive environment to have.
Kirby can be played pretty fast! All you need is a reasonable amount of tech skill. :)

Btw, guys, I'm convinced that Kirby's suck is incredibly good as an anti-CC move. Then you get a free copy or spit them to the ledge for decent damage + positional advantage.

We should take our ideas over to the Kirby General Discussion, methinks. :colorful:

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I think this is some kind of sick joke, bubun is that evil kind of person who laughs while eating puppies trying to escape from his bowl of salt and he eats them with a spoon.

yaeh he is getting his kicks from us wanting this cause he has a very sick mind.

Top Bottom