• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Tips

LordMofop108

Smash Rookie
Hey, i'm new to these boards. I realize Melee is going to be old news, and since Brawl is coming out with an online mode, I figure I should pull out Melee and start getting my groove back.

My old main was Kirby. I really liked using him, regardless of how bad he got nerfed from the 64 version.

I'm a pretty decent Kirby player, considering i'm not too well in depth into the advanced skills. My strategy is often dancing around my opponent (shielding and dashing), and trying to keep them in the air, or just being evasive and outlasting them with my superior air movement.

I see there a lot of pro-kirby players here, so I was wondering if you guys could give me a few tips. I realize Kirby may play different from Melee in Brawl, but i'm sure most of his moves will be the same.

A couple things I need help on is some advice on fighting a Marth player. When it comes down to it, Marth has superior range on Kirby. I often fight my friend who is a pretty good Marth player, and he always gets the edge on me because he has superior range. I always win though because I outlast him with his bad aerial vulnerability. I just wanted some tips on how to get an edge over Marth.

Also, I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice on how to get out of situations where your opponent will camp under you when you are in the air, and keep you in the air. Kirby is really easy to edge-guard and to keep in the air. I often psyche my opponent out then land on them with the stone, but it's somewhat rare for that to happen. Also, it's very penalizing if your stone fails because they can either wait until you un-stone and smash you, or just grab you and throw you.

Also, any tips on fighting Fox/Falco? It's really easy to edge-guard them because if they use their B+Up Special, the Cutter can knock them straight down into oblivion, but other than that.. well.. i'm sure you know.

Much thanks. :)

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Tip 1: Don't use the stone. At least not as an attack. Sometimes it's useful to get under the ledge, but even then it can be dangerous for you.

As far as Marth goes, it's really Kirby's worst match up in my experience. Winning pretty much requires you to completely out think your opponent, so his range and tippers don't completely punish you. It's hard to give advice on how to play a Marth when pretty much every single one of Kirby's usual strategies don't seem to work against him. Just try to spot holes and get him off the stage. It won't be easy. Back air works pretty well when you can squeeze one in.

For Fox and Falco, since they're fast fallers, Reaper Combo (Up-Tilt -> Up-Tilt) works especially well at low percentages should you be able to get it in. Once they're off the stage, it gets moderately easier. If they use Up-B when they shouldn't need to (for example, over the ledge where an Illusion/Phantasm would work much better in their favor) punish them for it. Dair will probably kill Falco every time. Fox has a better chance of surviving, but Bair is also capable of doing the job against them. If you see an Illusion or Phantasm coming, try to Bair it. It comes out much quicker than an Up-B, but it can be guarded. Avoid getting thrown into the air as much as possible. Fox's Up-Throw -> Up-Air destroys Kirby, as does Falco's Shine stuff. Watch for Fox's Shine Spike. Air dodge past it when you can; otherwise, try to fake him out in your recovery. Kirby's recovery is pretty slow and predictable, but he has a few tricks here and there. Watch Falco's Dair.

Kirby isn't an easy character to play, and it takes a lot of work, but he's so fun that it's worth it.

LordMofop108

Smash Rookie
sorry aboot that, i should of looked at the other subjects.

thanks george though.

mod can lock this.

Top Bottom