• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L-Canceled Shines

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
Im not sure if my hands are move to fast or not fast enough but whenever i go do lets say a Dair on someone and they happen to shield it, i am just awkwardly crouching there and get grabbed. The only thing that works fast enough for my hands is the Nair>shine. So i guess i have more than one question..

1. Whats the timing on my ability to do shines out of my aerials? Are they different for each one?

2. Is Nair>Shine the only move i can use OS and not get shield-grabbed?

Thanks

DamnLUK

Smash Rookie
the timings are different indeed, dair has lag. if you l cancel that, u reduce the time of the lag by half so theres still lag dair to shine is really unsafe unless you do it frame perfect (even though it might not be safe) BUUUT you have to shine after the lag, which you have to learn by heart ;)

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Im not sure if my hands are move to fast or not fast enough but whenever i go do lets say a Dair on someone and they happen to shield it, i am just awkwardly crouching there and get grabbed. The only thing that works fast enough for my hands is the Nair>shine. So i guess i have more than one question..

1. Whats the timing on my ability to do shines out of my aerials? Are they different for each one?

2. Is Nair>Shine the only move i can use OS and not get shield-grabbed?

Thanks
When you Aerial someone's shield you have to take into consideration the hitlag of the move, so the timing isn't the same for the L cancel as when you just do it in place. Delay the L cancel a bit if you do a Higher dair.

Safely, Nair>shine is the most reliable. I have a feeling Dair>shine works IF you do it perfect, IE hitbox hits the frame before you land. What you could always do it use wolfs great drift game to either to bairs/Uairs landing behind them (one of my favorites, because if you conditioned them into respecting sheild pressure, you can aproach with Nair>shine, Jump behind the shield and do a really late bair/Uair to catch OoS options) or drift away and do a Max range Fair on their shield. Depending on the character's grab range, you wont get grabbed. (you're safe from Pika, ganon, Shiek, probably Falcon too). They could always do WD OoS but you should be out of lag for their punish attempt.

Alternatively, you should pretty much never get shield grabbed by tether characters If you land soon after the move hits. As long as you're not doing non-nair attacks on the top of people's shield I think you're fine against tether characters.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
When you Aerial someone's shield you have to take into consideration the hitlag of the move, so the timing isn't the same for the L cancel as when you just do it in place. Delay the L cancel a bit if you do a Higher dair.

Safely, Nair>shine is the most reliable. I have a feeling Dair>shine works IF you do it perfect, IE hitbox hits the frame before you land. What you could always do it use wolfs great drift game to either to bairs/Uairs landing behind them (one of my favorites, because if you conditioned them into respecting sheild pressure, you can aproach with Nair>shine, Jump behind the shield and do a really late bair/Uair to catch OoS options) or drift away and do a Max range Fair on their shield. Depending on the character's grab range, you wont get grabbed. (you're safe from Pika, ganon, Shiek, probably Falcon too). They could always do WD OoS but you should be out of lag for their punish attempt.

Alternatively, you should pretty much never get shield grabbed by tether characters If you land soon after the move hits. As long as you're not doing non-nair attacks on the top of people's shield I think you're fine against tether characters.
So simply, its not safe to use Dair OS(unless frame perfect) and its better to use Nair or attack on the back of the shield?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Pretty much. If you're not confident on timing the dair decently well its not worth it.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
guess ill have to work on it.

Top Bottom