• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learning from Melee Ness

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Hey Guys,

I don't mean to put an extensive post down, but probably the most active and best ness out right now is Mofo (he posts here now and then). I saw this recent match of his and thought we should brainstorm what techniques are here that we are likely not yet doing that may be transferable to PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1gZvJeCvzQ

I notice that he does some cool sourspot nair -> other aerial combos. I wonder if those sourspot combos work in PM or if a more powerful nair that we have prevents us from doing that cute stuff. Post about anything else you see.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
They definitely do work in P:M. I do them where I can, as the little damage from the weak nair is always worth it.

Pretty much everything else there I already found by myself. DJC bair's, grab combos that work on both kinds of DI, lots of WDing, nair edge guarding.

Good stuff anyway.

Bryonato

Green Hat
They definitely do work in P:M. I do them where I can, as the little damage from the weak nair is always worth it.

Pretty much everything else there I already found by myself. DJC bair's, grab combos that work on both kinds of DI, lots of WDing, nair edge guarding.

Good stuff anyway.
"I am Mofo" - GMaster 2013

GMaster171

Smash Ace
He was a fairly large inspiration lol. I'v always liked Ness, but seeing someone do so well with him was pretty amazing.

I honestly don't mean to sound as arrogant as I did :/. I was inspired by Mofo, but I tried not to copy him (or anyone else for that matter, its a personal thing). It just happened that most of the things he uses are also the things I personally discovered during matches with friends lol. I sorta did jump the gun on that tho, srry.

I am pretty godlike tho :p

D

Deleted member

i mean, you could just play a tight neutral game like every other character is supposed to do. that's a good start. ness players are usually much worse than their character is, and that says something.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Kind of agree where most of the stuff here looks pretty PM standard. styling The movement, extending strings with FAirs, and good use of DJC are what makes up the bare bones of Ness:M. I see wonderful PKT2 choices and movement overall, but I can't help but notice how much Ness' arsenal has been ironed out. Mofo just makes it look easy. All I see here is a large chunk of our foundation, so soak it up and apply it. Move forward and throw in some of those lovely PM quirks. Somma them magnets n' junk.

Shouts to Mofo demonstrating what the heck we should be doing already and looking good doing it

ps what umbreon said

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Tight. I love seeing you all pushing the metagame. That **** makes me excited. I WANT TO SHOW YOU MY FOOTAGE SO BAD. Alas, I don't know of a cheap set up to do so and I can't find me someone in MA who has a setup.

Bryonato

Green Hat
He was a fairly large inspiration lol. I'v always liked Ness, but seeing someone do so well with him was pretty amazing.

I honestly don't mean to sound as arrogant as I did :/. I was inspired by Mofo, but I tried not to copy him (or anyone else for that matter, its a personal thing). It just happened that most of the things he uses are also the things I personally discovered during matches with friends lol. I sorta did jump the gun on that tho, srry.

I am pretty godlike tho :p
LOL. dude. it's ok. I don't think you're arrogant at all.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
LOL. dude. it's ok. I don't think you're arrogant at all.
Okay, lets be real. Gmaster is arrogant. Always has been since I've been posting on PM, probably will continue to be. He's also a good poster, and has a remarkable ness based on videos from his stream. He still ought to be ragged on, now and again to keep him honest.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Don't worry about that, you can't hurt my feelings :p

Gotta try not bringing myself into everything lol. If I were to edit my first post, I guess listing the things I pointed out as useful instead of what I did would be better lol.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
We all homies on the Ness boards `'

Bryonato

Green Hat
Speaking of "okay," I hate how Ness sounds like a tard when he says "Okaaay" in his Brawl taunt as opposed to his "okay" in ssb64.

Top Bottom