• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

legitable way to counter nade camping

meepxzero

Smash Master
I don't care anymore for sharing secrets with ic and i doubt al be playing this game much longer so id rather share my knowledge of everything at this point. Dthrow pivot grab is not the way to go anymore to get away from grenades when cging. The best method is when you land a grab against snake and you see a grenade on the floor.....

walk a little with nana and literally pick up the grenade and buffer the control stick up in the middle of popos jab animation. If done correctly you will have the ability to throw the grenade straight up and continue ur cging. If done properly the most you will do with ics is jab once with popo and pick up throw nade and throw up with nana and reset your cg.

If you forget to throw the grenade up with nana you can do the same with popo while nana is in her regrab. Now if snake cooks his nade then good trying to get this to work. I probably wouldnt bother to even grab him if he cooks it. If done properly it should only take 1-2 seconds to get rid of the grenade.

now go **** snake my ic minions.

B0NK

Smash Lord
Thanks for sharing.... surprise no one else thought of this (or just didn't post it) o.O

Really useful nonetheless.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
i think regular dash grab out of dthrow is better than the pivot anyways because it seems to get you away plus i think nana gets further away (because whenever i do the pivot one nana blows up and im like -_-)

but this is good info

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Very effective if you can control your fingers right. This is really ****ing hard to practice on your own.

I just want to throw in that if you're fast enough, you can buffer a throw when you throw the nade up.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
shouldn't up on the c-stick also throw the nade because it forces popo to jab?

Prawn

Smash Master
woooowwww.

meep this so **** lmao idk why i never did this

meepxzero

Smash Master
This also works with diddys bananas if your afraid ur cg will end shortly because you see one on the ground. Obviously you gota be careful not to slip on it when u pick it up.

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
I have been practicing this for the last 30 minutes...so sexy. I can't seem to buffer the toss up before two pummels though...

.JaSoN.

Smash Rookie
Really good info
I rarly play snake so i do this for when diddy kong drops his bananna in the cg.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This gives them too much time to mash out :/. It works on people that don't mash correctly though.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
This gives them too much time to mash out :/. It works on people that don't mash correctly though.
I BELIEVE you can dthrow, grab nade, uthrow it, and still get the grab. Not entirely sure though.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
No, I already tried that :/.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Do Ice block chain grab and have Nana throw it while Snake it standing up

swordgard

Smash Hero
No, I already tried that :/.
The trick is to solo cg at low percent while doing this.

Versus Diddy, down throw to forward air, picking up the banana during fair then shooting it as diddy touches the ground at low %, hel trip again the run recg.

At high percent just try upthrowing the banana.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah this is mainly useful for diddy, though you should be using the nanas offensively really if you are grabbing them out of their approches and tripping on their bananas then diddy is doing something wrong.

With snake I'm still just going to use my dthrow pivot cg to get away from nades. It's easy and consistent.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
The Dthrow pivot is just as risky. You can still be in the area where the nade was cooked, and still have snake get away by taking the damage, whereas throwing it out of the area completely gets rid of the risk of you taking damage and snake getting free.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
But throwing it out doesn't work? They have plenty of time to mash out if you do it. I cg away from the nades all the time the dthrow pivot is very consistent. You aren't doing it fast enough if you are blowing up from the nade. The pivot grab makes you slide way out of the range of it.

Smoom77

Smash Master
No, enda's saying that Snake will blow up from the damage. I've tried using it, and that seems to happen often.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I know what he's saying, and that happened to me when I first came up with the cg. It almost never happens now because I actually do it correctly. Tripping is the only thing bad about the pivot cg and the fact that it requires some space.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
But throwing it out doesn't work? They have plenty of time to mash out if you do it. I cg away from the nades all the time the dthrow pivot is very consistent. You aren't doing it fast enough if you are blowing up from the nade. The pivot grab makes you slide way out of the range of it.
I'm also using the dthrow pivot and it works. I approve of Hylians method.

meepxzero

Smash Master
icies actually have a lot of good ground options against snake. i could write an indepth guide on how to fight snake, but i dont want snakes trolling our boards lol -_-

the mu is even if you have godlike spacing and are aware of all of snakes nades and c4.

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
icies actually have a lot of good ground options against snake. i could write an indepth guide on how to fight snake, but i dont want snakes trolling our boards lol -_-

the mu is even if you have godlike spacing and are aware of all of snakes nades and c4.
Lets see it

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
imo, this thread only covers one aspect of the typical snake's nade camping. h When I play against a good snake in a recent tourney, I had issues with nade camping, but it wasn't chain grabbing related.

As a starting premise, snake does not have to approach on most stages because his nades outcamp our IB's. In theory, I would like to counter this by instathrowing the nades back at the snake player. However, everytime I attempted to do this in tourney, Popo would instathrow followed by a nana insta-catch of the thrown item. This actually happens to me wheb I play Diddy with bananas all the time. is there something I need to do to prevent this from happening? I feel like if we can force snake to approach, the match up is in our favor. If we are forced to approach, we lose.

B0NK

Smash Lord
As a starting premise, snake does not have to approach on most stages because his nades outcamp our IB's.
Some people will disagree with that. From my experience it depends on the snake player.

In theory, I would like to counter this by instathrowing the nades back at the snake player. However, everytime I attempted to do this in tourney, Popo would instathrow followed by a nana insta-catch of the thrown item.
To avoid this instant catch with z in the air, when you instant throw nana will still be in the airdodge animation from the catch. You can also use this to desynch when you land. I'm sure their are other ways, but this is a simple way that I use just because the desynchs are useful.

I feel like if we can force snake to approach, the match up is in our favor. If we are forced to approach, we lose.
I don't completely agree with this. Goes back to the passive vs agressive play-style discussion in the Q&A thread. Also an approaching snake to me can be a lot less predictable. As said before, getting snake in the air is your best bet in the match up. From there you can lead grabs, rake damage, etc. Since snake's only real options are a laggy aerial (but stupid strong with stupid hitboxes -__-) or falling with a nade in his hand.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
I had this problem of nana catching the instathrow as well so instead I counter it by spamming desynced ice blocks at the snake forcing him to either move, throw the grenade, get hit with with them, possibly dropping his grenade, (or in the case of having him already dropped the grenade because of the first ice block-) blow up, and since you're desynced spamming ice blocks, you can instathrow with either climber while maintaining your ice block spam. It works pretty well unless he's on a platform.
I'm not sure but I think it could help a bit against him stripping the grenade as well.
If anything just spamming them with only nana and and acting on that with popo works well.

Top Bottom