• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about the ICs Melee to Brawl transition

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Will desynching be back?

I think so, the computers in Melee did it (poorly) and we already got a picture of just Popo shooting and Ice Block.

Wobbling returning?

Most people are saying no but I'm thinking we'll see it again. Here's why. The grab physics are very similar and I don't think Nintendo even knows what Wobbling is. They know about Wavedashing because it's a big deal, they've watched a few pro matches. They've probably seen Ken play however I highly doubt they've seen some professional matches with Chu Dat and Wobbles, for this reason I see wobbling returnin, the other reason being that wobbling is not a glitch.

Will the ICs level of play be hindered due to the removal of wavedashing?

Pretty much... Yeah. And it's a shame too. Maybe they'll be a little faster, maybe they'll have a better grab only time can tell. But I think that the ICs won't move as fluently, hopefully they will be improved in other ways though.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Pretty much... Yeah. And it's a shame too. Maybe they'll be a little faster, maybe they'll have a better grab only time can tell. But I think that the ICs won't move as fluently, hopefully they will be improved in other ways though

Does it EVER occur to anybody here that they could IMPROVE the Ice Climbers, Luigi, Pikachu and others in Brawl so wavedashing won't be as important to them?!

THIS ISN'T MELEE 2.0! THE VETERANS WILL NOT PLAY LIKE THEIR PAST INCARNATIONS!!!!

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman

Does it EVER occur to anybody here that they could IMPROVE the Ice Climbers, Luigi, Pikachu and others in Brawl so wavedashing won't be as important to them?!

THIS ISN'T MELEE 2.0! THE VETERANS WILL NOT PLAY LIKE THEIR PAST INCARNATIONS!!!!
You're kind of going off the assumption that Sakurai knew those characters were bad without wavedashing and will actively make them better since he removed it. What a silly thing to get worked up over.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
You're kind of going off the assumption that Sakurai knew those characters were bad without wavedashing and will actively make them better since he removed it. What a silly thing to get worked up over.
Well, why would they balance any of the characters then if they believe the characters are balanced? Mario's supposed to be rather dependent on WDing but he was made apparently better. They must know that the characters evolved beyond the equality they thought the characters had when they released Melee.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Well sorry, but I heard the 'Characters will now suck because wavedashing is gone' excuse too many times. It should be an official logical fallacy by now.

Besides, his team knows what their doing, they played the game thousands of times.

Besides, he was also on the assumption that the characters WON'T even be changed.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
this is a new physics engine, wavedashing doesn't affect pikachu or bowser any more or any less than it affected samus and mario

it's out, its a new game.

SiD

Smash Master
Well I don't think they really could remove wobbling without removing desynching during a grab. Actually, I guess they could make you break out of a grab after a certain time no matter what...
I just hope I can still do the "Babe Ruth".

Anyway, when compared to everyone in the new game, I don't think them not being able to wavedash matters at all, like Gimpy said.

Noshiee

Smash Ace
Will desynching be back?

I think so, the computers in Melee did it (poorly) and we already got a picture of just Popo shooting and Ice Block.

Wobbling returning?

Most people are saying no but I'm thinking we'll see it again. Here's why. The grab physics are very similar and I don't think Nintendo even knows what Wobbling is. They know about Wavedashing because it's a big deal, they've watched a few pro matches. They've probably seen Ken play however I highly doubt they've seen some professional matches with Chu Dat and Wobbles, for this reason I see wobbling returnin, the other reason being that wobbling is not a glitch.

Will the ICs level of play be hindered due to the removal of wavedashing?

Pretty much... Yeah. And it's a shame too. Maybe they'll be a little faster, maybe they'll have a better grab only time can tell. But I think that the ICs won't move as fluently, hopefully they will be improved in other ways though.
where's that picture of popo shooting an ice block? I havent seen it :(

also, desynching is back, well, it looks like is going to

FunkMaster

Smash Journeyman
it may also be possible that when the ice climbers grab
an opponent, they both grab onto the foe at the same
time. i don't think wobbling will be in, but it would be
cool if it was . i think desynching will be either much
better in Brawl or pretty much nonexistant.

i believe the ice climbers will have other things to replace
wavedashing. it's not melee, after all. I'm thinking they
will have much better aerials and B moves. maybe their
glaciers will have more power and freezing abilities and
same with theie blizzard. maybe aiming it like bowser's
fire breath will be an option.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion

[SIZE="7"]THIS ISN'T MELEE 2.0! THE VETERANS WILL NOT PLAY LIKE THEIR PAST INCARNATIONS!!!![/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Tell that to DK mains... >_> <_< You guys need to shut up about this.

I expect some statistics that they have to be changed in the transition, like the lag time between Popo receiving a command and Nana receiving it. Their smashes' power will probably(sadly) be nerfed because people view them as cheap with two characters.

Well, I'm almost sure that our SoPo/SoNa recovery will be a little better because of the new sweetspotting mechanic. YAY! We can actually sweetspot! ^_^

As far as speed is concerned, I'd be satisfied with a Young Link speed. I'm not expecting us to be Sonic-fast because that would screw up alot of desynch combos(Unless they increase Nana's box-size.

I expect the Ftilt/Dtilt to either:
a) Knock opponents out of the grab or
b) have hella lag at the beginning/end to make wobbling impossible.

I expect Dair to be an entirely different move because people hate Dthrow Dair chaingrabs.

It looks like Nana faces the same direction as Popo when they perform Blizzard. That's good because SHBlizzard was always the better choice in Melee. Now they cut out the middle man! I wonder if you can desynch from this like you could in Melee though...

I honestly expect our Dual Squall recovery to be nerfed.

Alot of our desynchs are going to be completely different. For example...:
1. SHFFL desynchs will be completely different since we have the new SHFFLing method. I expect it to function more like the Landing Desynch because Brawl SHFFLs auto-cancel instead of cut to lag in half. That is, if Landing desynchs function the same way. It may not even desynch us at all.

2. Roll, Dodge, Taunt and Whiffed Grab desynchs will probably be the exact same. These desynchs made no sense in Melee because they were purposefully programmed into the game. Why else would Nana act first?

3. Pivot desynch will likely remain the same.

4. Desynching from a grab will hopefully still be in the game. Of course, I expect our grab combos to be nerfed or reworked.

Of course, I expect plenty of new desynchs and tricks(Footstool desynch already confirmed) with all of the new stuff they're adding.

We'll fine out come february. lolz

gamelover15

Smash Apprentice
I really hope they make Icys faster. I openly admit that the only way that Icys moved fast was because of WD'ing.
They couldn't possibly nerf the squall recovery because they would be horrible at recovery. They would either keep it or add something so Popo could have a chance to survive.
I want Icys to keep their knockbacks on their smashes. Their tilts were fairly balance.

Can't wait to see what changes they will have.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
the infinite has been known about LONG before wobbles began using it in tournaments.

even if the grab physics and stuff are the same, and the hitstun and stuff is the same... more than likely they will remove any chance of possible infinites (as much as they can, at least... it was hard to predict that fox's shine would be innovated to infinites within months of melee's released, so we'll see.)

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I just realized....

Tipper desynchs will be HELLA more viable with the increased freeze frames. O_O

Of course.... the thing is.... Ice Climbers may not be nerfed at all since I honestly doubt that Sakurai is taking tournament players into consideration with Brawl. I mean, how the hell else would Peach get BUFFED? Common view in lower levels of Smash metagame is that Peach and Ice Climbers were lame characters. Once we learned the deeper aspects to thier game, they became REALLY good characters.

You never know... >_> <_<

dj asakura

Smash Ace
wow, i think i'd die laughing if sakurai buffed the IC's to make them better to the casual player.

hahahaha, oh the possibilities

OhCripe119

Smash Apprentice
Okay, if I'm a casual player, and would never have any chance in a tournament to even make it past round one, what do the new Ice Climbers mean to somebody like me? 'Cause I like the Ice Climbers just as the Ice Climbers. Will I be able to keep Nana from getting herself killed this time around? Or don't we know that kind've stuff about them yet?

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Okay, if I'm a casual player, and would never have any chance in a tournament to even make it past round one, what do the new Ice Climbers mean to somebody like me? 'Cause I like the Ice Climbers just as the Ice Climbers. Will I be able to keep Nana from getting herself killed this time around? Or don't we know that kind've stuff about them yet?
We know NOTHING about IC as of yet.

2Step

Smash Cadet
the grafics look a lot better just look at the new fur, gloves, and hammer. WOW!!

Top Bottom