• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for a Pocket

Niche

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
fueg#0
NNID
0hribbon
So obviously I play cloud and I was wondering who would be a good pocket for the Yoshi/Cloud MU. I here Cloud wins against Yoshi but I honestly hate the MU. Even though I'm pretty good at the Cloud ditto I just dislike dittoes in general (A pocket for playing against cloud is mainly in the event that the person is just on another level in the ditto.) So who would you suggest?

Thank you,
Niche

Last edited:

High Entia

Smash Rookie
:4yoshi:
-:rosalina:: Rosalina-Yoshi is one matchup I've played at least a couple hundred times and I personally feel that Rosalina does well in the matchup. She doesn't do so well to the point where she completely shuts down every one of Yoshi's options, but she has the advantage. Gravitational Pull completely nullifies those pesky eggs of his, so he won't be able to just camp you for the entire game. His approach game isn't the best (which is why Yoshis tend to camp with eggs and force you to approach), so Rosalina doesn't struggle with keeping him out. This puts Yoshi in the awkward position where he's continuously forced to approach Rosalina (since camping her is out of the question) or try and bait Gravitational Pull in order to punish her (and if you read these baits, you can get a pretty big punish). Yoshi is also pretty floaty, making it easier to kill him off the top with up airs than other characters in his weight class. As long as you know what you're doing, Rosalina can definitely give Yoshi trouble.
-:4villager:: For starters, his camping game is way better than Yoshi's, meaning that, when you both try and camp one another, Villager is going to win and force Yoshi to approach which, as I've said before, Yoshi isn't the best at. In terms of recoveries, Villager's is stupid and Yoshi's isn't good. Therefore, when Yoshi is off the stage, you can go really deep and just edgeguard him with little risk involved.

:4cloud:
-:4metaknight:: Sure, Cloud has a better neutral. However, Meta Knight wrecks him offstage and his up air -> up air -> up b kill combo works very well on Cloud because of his high gravity and above average falling speed.
-:4falcon:: Contrary to what one may think, a lot of Clouds hate Falcon. Falcon is so quick and has good approach options, so Cloud can't just Limit camp him and punish the forced approach. Falcon's combos also destroy Cloud because of his aforementioned stats.

These are just my thoughts on the matter. Hope these help!

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
I might be a bit biased here, having used Little Mac for the last like forever, but Little Mac covers both of them moderately well. Reasons are below.

:4cloud2:- Cloud has pretty much just average frame data and has a disjoint, meaning that Little Mac can have some struggles getting in but once he does Cloud has next to no ways of getting Little Mac off. Up Tilt can't clash with anything and beats out everything unless it hits Mac's main hitbox (Cannot be interrupted by hitting its hitbox i.e. covering his entire body), and Down Tilt beats literally everything Cloud has to do. While Little Mac has crap recovery, Cloud's is also garbage and is almost as easily interrupted and gimped by a Down Smash. Little Mac also has the plus side of being able to Jolt Haymaker if necessary on the ground to cover massive distance; Cloud has a Down Tilt which gets shielded then punished by an Up Tilt. After 1.1.4, Up Tilt with Mac now sends opponents at a really nice angle, meaning you can get off 3 up tilts into an Up Special at low percents, almost guaranteed from what I can tell. Probably not the BEST pocket, but a decent one for this matchup in particular if you can get past the recovery and the forced ground game.

:4yoshi:- Yoshi has dominant frame data, but so does Little Mac. Both of them are seriously scary due to this, but Yoshi has some major problems and Mac has only two. Yoshi, despite having Neutral Air to approach, can't beat out Up Air. Late hit of Neutral Air won't beat out Straight Lunge, and neither will Down Air's hits. Jab also won't, meaning that Straight Lunge goes through many of Yoshi's 'approaching' options barring a random Forward Air or Dash Attack. Armored Smash Attacks also can be a real pain for Yoshi, and the fact he has some problems snapping to ledge doesn't help either. The only problem Mac has is that Neutral Special of Yoshi's, which causes extremely easy gimps, and the fact Yoshi can edgeguard you with Eggs and a Forward Air and pretty easily secure stocks that easily. And his obvious flaw of recovery.

All that I can give on this.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
I think some of your best bets may be Rosalina or Diddy. Rosalina does a great job at stuffing aerial approaches, can provide a constant threat simply by standing in the general area of her opponent, and outranges pretty much everything. All of these are very relevant to both matchups. Diddy, on the other hand, has a better aerial game than Yoshi and can weave around eggs, and he's quick with good projectiles, which allows him to constantly pester Cloud and prevent Limit charges. He also doesn't seem to have too much difficulty getting inside Cloud's sword.

Top Bottom