• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for a secondary to complement Wolf

choodles

Smash Rookie
So I've been getting into Wolf recently, and he's quite a lot of fun for me. But sometimes I'm not feeling the extremely fast pace of Wolf's game, and I'm also having trouble with some matchups. Is there a character that can cover Wolf's bad matchups pretty well?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I main Ike and secondary wolf. They compliment each other very well. You probably want a sword character or a character with a disjoint to cover the bad matchups.

choodles

Smash Rookie
I've done a little bit of exploring with Ike, and I did find him quite a bit of fun. I would like the idea of playing either him or Roy, they both seem like pretty good choices. Thanks for the help!

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Roy doesn't seem like he'd cover Wolf's bad MU's, which I think mostly arise from his fast-falling nature and being combo fodder. Roy shares these negative traits and offers little to complement Wolf's drawbacks, in my opinion.

It never hurts to have a pocket Mario, too.

I'll second Y-L's Wolf-Ike recommendation. It works for me as well.

choodles

Smash Rookie
Sounds pretty solid. I'll definitely give Ike a chance, and I might even explore Mario a little bit.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I think loads of characters are potentially good secondaries for Wolf. Most Melee vets playing Wolf seem to lean on their Foxes from time to time, but theoretically that shouldn't cover his tough matchups that well unless you're already really good with Fox. Same goes for Falco obviously.

But, probably the best way to start paring down the list is to find out which matchups are giving you trouble.

Or you could just do what everyone else does and have a pocket Mario and/or Link, if that's your thing.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
peach is a good one too. in my experience wolf actually deals pretty well with disjointed characters because of their lack of projectiles and his overall greater range than fox or falco. things like fsmash, dash attack, DACUS, bair, and his blaster are really effective at helping him get in quickly on those characters. likewise, i use peach to compliment wolf. Shes totally anti combo, has a wonderfully unpunishable recovery, and has a lot of defensive, meaty hitboxes, as well as an amazing pressure game once shes in. shes also terribly difficult to approach.

The only thing about this thread though, is that wolf doesnt have too many bad MUs. i think id say falco could pose a threat to him because of his more meaty hitboxes, and lasers. but who else? diddy kong is the only other one i might consider.

MANZilla

Smash Rookie
another wolf....

this is a good question though... while i am aware of his weaknesses, i still prefer to use ganon in certain matchups.

LilPup

Smash Rookie
I feel like marth covers a lot of wolf's bad matchups, but that might just be me!

HelloAxi

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2938-6948-6908
Possibly D3. In my opinion he is a really fun character.
His playstyle is very different from wolf in most ways, but he still has a good juggle and aerial combo game, like wolf.
If you play d3 after losing a wolf match it can become a wildly different game for the oponenent.
Dedede is a walking foretress, with mad defense.

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
just don't. I used to think the same way you did. There are bad mu's i need to have a secondary. Bullsh*t ... if so chillindude wouldn't be destroying pm scene with his mad wolf. We need to train harder. Multishine faster, juggle better and get to know our matchups... If you feel comfortable try peach she's sick to cover mu's wolf is weak against and she gives nice trouble to spacies. if you know how to play peach on melee she's a monster on pm. but honestly i think we lack tech skill and lab time.

Top Bottom