• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas Mains, how can I fight you guys?

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Hello Lucas mains! I'm a new PM player who's looking to go to Zenith 2014. And one of my MUs where I have ZERO experience in is the Lucas MU.
In tourney I am expecting to use these characters
:mewtwopm::marth::metaknight::snake::foxmelee:

What should I look for lucas?
-Whats his primary approach option? Whats the best approach option from my mains that can ocounter his approach?
-What are his combos, and how should I DI them?
-What's his weakest area?
-Best KO move?
-Whats his best OoS option?
-How can I react to his shield pressure? Is he susceptible to shield pressure?
-Are his aerials safe on shield (or aerial combo like Fox's shffl nair shine)?
-Any chaingrabs and KO throws? Are theor chaingrabs that any of my mains can do on him?
-Best way to edgeguard him? Whats Lucas' most common method to edgeguard?
-Which one of my mains has the best chance vs him?
-

Last edited:

Sartron

Smash Journeyman
I'll try and answer each one of your questions.

Lucas' primary approach option will most likely involve SH PK Freeze or SH DJC PK Freeze. Shield it. If it fails, Lucas will most likely retreat and keep trying. All other approaches require Lucas to be next to you. I would be ready to do a retreating aerial. Be ready to punish!

All of Lucas' moves combo. Not very helpful, and I can't even really describe how to DI. This is definitely a "don't get hit" type of matchup.

I can't really comment on Lucas' weakest area. But most players will become very impatient and want to just approach you, even if it is a mindless approach. Punish their aggression! Fortunately, all of your characters seem very suited for this.

His best KO move is OU up smash and back air.

Lucas doesn't really have a "best" OOS option. Expect him to use a rolling option or jump out of shield to aerial or even magnet. That being said, neutral air out of shield is common as it hits on all parts of Lucas.

Lucas has amazing shield pressure. I would recommend just rolling away. Lucas is indeed susceptible to shield pressure.

Not many aerials in the game are safe on shield at all, if any. That being said, Lucas' fair is -1/±0. Bair is -2. Uair is -1. Dair is -5. Nair is -5. In a realistic situation, however, Lucas' aerials are safe coupled with magnet which people will usually use afterwards similar to spacie pressure.

Lucas' threatening throws are up throw and down throw. Back throw can kill you if you are tricked into DI-ing it improperly. DI directly left or right to properly DI up throw. Down throw puts you behind Lucas so DI behind Lucas. Be wary, however. Lucas can DACUS quite a few characters out of down throw even if properly DI'd. If you don't DI, Lucas can up smash or start a combo string, most likely with down air.

Regarding chain grabs, Marth can fthrow Lucas multiple times and end with a tipper if improperly DI'd by the player. Meta Knight has down throw, of course. Snake has his up throw.

When edgeguarding Lucas, it can really depend on your character and playstyle. I play Meta Knight primarily, so I have the liberty of having a good recovery with multiple jumps. This means I can go ahead and risk using the last hit of forward air offstage to edgeguard, as well as back air walls. When Lucas tethers and you are on the stage, there can be some situations where you can actually decapitate Lucas as his head can pop up from the ledge. Use down tilt to achieve this, especially with Meta Knight and Marth. If Lucas tethers the ledge and you are edge hogging, be careful because Lucas can tether drop and magnet you into a terrible position offstage, or up special to kick you off and recover simultaneously.

When Lucas is edge guarding you, it will almost always come in the form of back air or down air. Be extremely aware if Lucas is moving towards you while you're recovering! Lucas' sweet spotted back air is a spike and will kill you. Even the non-spike angle on it is deadly. Down air is also a menace to your recovery. It may just be my preference, but whenever I play Lucas I'm willing to trade my down air with my opponent's recovery. The first couple hits of down air lock you into the combo, and then the final hit meteors you. If you can react fast enough, a meteor cancel is possible off of the last hit and quite possibly save you.

Out of all your characters, I think Mewtwo would be your best bet. Mewtwo is great at keeping opponents off of the stage with back air walls, and a typical Lucas player will always try to tether. This put them in the range of your tail, or even a falling neutral air to drag them down (risky on small stages.)

If you need anything else, feel free to ask. Otherwise, good luck at Zenith.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
:surprised:YO. This was exactly what I needed. I cannot thank you enough! :awesome:
Yo, one thing that I feel like you should keep in mind is that players who bring that many characters to a tournament have been playing for a long long time. A mark of a newer player is that they've just gotten competitive and think that every character they can kind of play is a character they can do well with. It's not the case. You'll get blown up for all the little things each character is missing, or fall behind for the individual care you haven't spent on them and all their ins and outs. Narrow that list down to 2 and I guarantee you'll do much better.

Spice

Smash Cadet
Yo, one thing that I feel like you should keep in mind is that players who bring that many characters to a tournament have been playing for a long long time. A mark of a newer player is that they've just gotten competitive and think that every character they can kind of play is a character they can do well with. It's not the case. You'll get blown up for all the little things each character is missing, or fall behind for the individual care you haven't spent on them and all their ins and outs. Narrow that list down to 2 and I guarantee you'll do much better.
This is absolutely critical information if you are new to tournaments. Focus on one or 2 characters. Learn the specifics on their matchups with every other character. If you need help with a matchup specifically, the best place to ask would actually be your main character's forum. A forum dedicated to the character you are trying to beat can help you learn how they kill you, but your best options will generally be known better by the people who play your main already and are familiar with the matchup.

http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-beat-lucas.348534/ This may also be of interest to you.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
This is absolutely critical information if you are new to tournaments. Focus on one or 2 characters. Learn the specifics on their matchups with every other character. If you need help with a matchup specifically, the best place to ask would actually be your main character's forum. A forum dedicated to the character you are trying to beat can help you learn how they kill you, but your best options will generally be known better by the people who play your main already and are familiar with the matchup.

http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-beat-lucas.348534/ This may also be of interest to you.
Well the main two characters I'll be using in tournament are :mewtwopm::marth:. :metaknight: only for the ditto. Snake I just threw in there because I'm actually very successful with him, and I do practice him a lot, but then again wifi is different from offline. Plus my memory is a bit ridiculous. I can very easily memorize what chaingrabs work on what characters and at what percents. So Snake works well for me in that regard. Plus Snake KOs earlier than my other mains which helps me get a lead, which I can keep forever. I'm very good at running away lol. Snake will probably only be used in friendlies. Marth and Mewtwo in tournament, and MK exclusively for the ditto.

Also, I started PM months ago, and competitive Smash 3 years ago. And I've been watching PM for a LONG time. I remember the 2.1 days when Ike was jank.

Last edited:

BamBoozzled

Smash Rookie
If your still looking for advice my dude im not any tournament pro but i do watch alot of pink fresh and i found alot of weakness with lucas with over 5 months of going into competitve smash in pm. Ive played him for months and i realized if he misses his grab or up smash u can **** him up for a clean 40 percent damage. His combos are if he SH pk freeze and gets u off with a sair,dair,or nair, and u dont tech it or dodge it good lucas like pink fresh can knock of 60 percent dps. So i read your post but thats all i got, if u dodge the pk freeze and u can manage to combo start lucas is boned. ALSO his recover is ****ing ridic down b magnet allows him to control in the air and rop snake is broken. So if hes off the stage good lucas' come back always GL HF i main lucas hopefully i can help u out :)

Top Bottom