• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi: Gone from clonedom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Has Luigi finally left being a clone of Mario? New jump and new jab could do it, because he's already barely a semi clone. A few more changes, and then will you thing Luigi will have gone into the final stage of Luigification?
Me, well, one more change and I think he'll be considered not a semi clone.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I doubt Luigi will ever be completely different from Mario.

The way they currently are - some visually similar moves while having completely different properties - is how it should be, imo, as they're not much different in the Mario games. I'd say that calling him a semi-clone now is a bit of a stretch too, and Luigi doesn't need to be decloned further.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I doubt Luigi will ever be completely different from Mario.

The way they currently are - some visually similar moves while having completely different properties - is how it should be, imo, as they're not much different in the Mario games. I'd say that calling him a semi-clone now is a bit of a stretch too, and Luigi doesn't need to be decloned further.

Yeah, Even if Luigi has a few superficial similarities to Mario, he's still his own man. Though to be honest, if anyone were to be considered the clone, why wouldn't it be Mario? Sure he was around first but Luigi is obviously the superior character the properties of his moveset are more favorable like the weaker downthrow for better set-ups and the stronger backthrow for better K.Os. Or Luigi's Nair which had great power and priority and was the best "sex kick" in the game or one of them at least. Or maybe i'm just kinda biased, I always liked Luigi a bit more than Mario anyway.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Yeah, Even if Luigi has a few superficial similarities to Mario, he's still his own man. Though to be honest, if anyone were to be considered the clone, why wouldn't it be Mario? Sure he was around first but Luigi is obviously the superior character the properties of his moveset are more favorable like the weaker downthrow for better set-ups and the stronger backthrow for better K.Os. Or Luigi's Nair which had great power and priority and was the best "sex kick" in the game or one of them at least. Or maybe i'm just kinda biased, I always liked Luigi a bit more than Mario anyway.
Because he's the first bro. First comes first, better or not.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Mario is obviously more important than Luigi so Luigi becomes the clone.
Besides, it is Luigi has changed much more than Mario from one instalment to the next.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Mario is obviously more important than Luigi so Luigi becomes the clone.
Besides, it is Luigi has changed much more than Mario from one instalment to the next.
That's a valid point but the word "clone" in this context often associates with something being a knock-off or an inferior model. I understand that a clone can also be better than the original or improve on it but usually when something has improved upon the original it often isn't viewed as a clone anymore. I suppose saying Mario is the clone is quite a stretch, although I meant that mostly as a joke, sorry about the confusion on that one. However, to reiterate again on what you said earlier, Luigi is definitely sufficiently different from Mario now, especially when compared to his 64 incarnation.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Luigi is never going to be completely different from Mario. So there will always be some semblance of "clone-ism" in his moveset. It's like Ryu and Ken, the two are just bound to have similarities. To be honest, the fact that they are as different as they are now is pretty cool.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
They are always gonna be similar, but a push takes him away from an official clone.
Bumping because as seen by gameplay video's Luigi is also different by jabs, jump, and down throw. I think it's safe to say he's on the border line of least cloney semi clone and most cloney original moveset.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
They are quite similar in nearly every game they are in together, so it would make sense for them to share special moves. They only share two, but Luigi's work differently, and not only visually. Luigi's aerials, tilts, and smashes are all very different too. I don't think I consider them semi clones anymore. If Luigi's fireballs were changed that would set them even more far apart, but honestly they grew on me. I also love his new paddle jump.

Last edited:

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
They are quite similar in nearly every game they are in together, so it would make sense for them to share at least on special move. They only share two, but Luigi's work differently, and not only visually. Luigi's aerials, tilts, and smashes are all very different too. I don't think I consider them semi clones anymore. If Luigi's fireballs were changed that would set them even more far apart, but honestly they grew on me. I also love his new paddle jump.
Yeah im in love of his jump too, it look so much original to me, i wonder why they not implemented it sooner. Really hope that his paddle jump have high spacing game, that would make him more interesting.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
He didn't feel like a clone in Brawl, he had a lot of uniqueness going on that set him apart. They're both in the same vein as they should be, but luigi was definitely different in style and such than mario. His side smash, side b, down b, etc as well as unique movement properties made him feel very different. He finally felt like the awkward goofy counterpart to mario, which is what he's supposed to feel like. But not completely 100% different.

Donyoku

Greed
I feel like Luigi has always really felt different from Mario, I just felt like the similarities were fine because they are brothers and Luigi being the younger brother would have similar moves as his brother. However, as others have posted his properties, hitboxes, and his changes in Brawl always set them apart for me as I've played Mario from time to time as well. Luigi is similar but not a copy.

Folt

Smash Ace
Luigi will always have some similiarities to Mario, but he has truly become his own character over the years so the similiarities get smaller and smaller.

In the main games, Luigi can play just like Mario (a good part of the platformers and spinoffs like Mario Kart), get light differences from Mario (like in the Mario Tennis series where he's a better net player even if he's "all-around" like Mario), or just play different altogether (usually in a good part of the platformers where you get the slippery but high-jumping Luigi, but there's also the Mario Golf series and the M & L game where they play completely different from each other due to stats and/or skills).

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Luigi wasn't even a clone in Brawl. He was a semi-clone in Melee, but even then his playstyle was unique because of his low traction and shoryuken. Obviously he'll always have similarities to Mario, but he's been his own character for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom