• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi mix up game

HybridFlames

Smash Rookie
hey i wanted too know from the more experienced luigi players out there what kinda mix ups you do with your down throw? i feel like the mix ups make you a true force to be reckoned with.
I usually d-throw into a fair a lot maybe too much with a a jab for 32%
but ive been trying to d-throw into up smash ive been d-throwing into nair fair and up air too but it doesnt change much the only time i try to do this is if the situation calls for it (if i was fighting someone small or big ect.)
what do you guys do to for your luigi mix up game?
i use down throw into cyclone as well it helps when they try spot dodging to much

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
You can do do down throw to fair and upair, then fast fall and use an uptilt and follow up with something else, a grab if they're low enough, or an upair or nair depending on how high they're knocked back. There's also down throw to RAR bair for the kill, but your timing has to be perfect, which also accounts for down throw to up b. With the improved hitbox it's much easier to land, but I'd only ever use this if they don't DI at all or di towards you. If you miss you'll most likely be punished hard so keep that in mind. Another mixup i like to try is at atound 80-110ish percent depending on the character, id use down throw to nair, and then double jump and use cyclone. This is very escapable, but people only seem to escape when they spotdodge. I've caught people with the very last hit of cyclone when they try to jump, and it still kills, which is pretty satisfying. When you go for a down throw, you could follow up with a jump-canceled up smash for the kill (first you'd have to condition your opponent to spotdodge, just by repeatedly using down throw combos), or what i like to do sometimes is throw out an empty short hop, and as they suffer spotdodge endlag I'd fastfall and then hit them with a forward smash, preferably angled up which would kill even sooner. Downside to this one in particular is if they DI correctly and they go out of range, or they actually throw out an attack like a nair. Another general thing i like to do is after a regular down throw combo of fair to fair or fair to upair, I'll throw out a cyclone. Also don't forget about down throw to dair near the ledge of the stage, or even at higher percentages on stage if you land it you could throw out a nair afterwards ff they miss their tech and end up rebounding of the stage.

I know you asked for downthrow combos but another thing I'd like to add is luigis up tilt combos. Usually when i read a roll id just uptilt and lock my opponent in continuous uptilts, although it doesn't work on opponents with frame 3 moves, so keep that in mind, after they start to get knocked out of range you could follow up with a nair, then at later percentages an upair, and even a bair if they're DI calls for it (fair too but you might as well stick with upair on this one just for the extra damage) in the case that you use nair when they're at a low percentage and they don't get knocked away from you, I'd just follow up with a cyclone immediately. Another thing to just throw out there is jab or double jab into up b. This is something I'd only try if im up a stock because it's not guaranteed and can be punished heavily. Also don't forget your jab into grab. I personally like to use double jab into grab, as it results in more damage, plus the dashing animation you have to perform in order to grab acts as a buffer so you don't have to time it as well, because if you don't time jab to grab well you'd just end up sending out your double jab and possibly your triple jab as well by accident.

Sorry for the long response, hope some of this helps

HybridFlames

Smash Rookie
You can do do down throw to fair and upair, then fast fall and use an uptilt and follow up with something else, a grab if they're low enough, or an upair or nair depending on how high they're knocked back. There's also down throw to RAR bair for the kill, but your timing has to be perfect, which also accounts for down throw to up b. With the improved hitbox it's much easier to land, but I'd only ever use this if they don't DI at all or di towards you. If you miss you'll most likely be punished hard so keep that in mind. Another mixup i like to try is at atound 80-110ish percent depending on the character, id use down throw to nair, and then double jump and use cyclone. This is very escapable, but people only seem to escape when they spotdodge. I've caught people with the very last hit of cyclone when they try to jump, and it still kills, which is pretty satisfying. When you go for a down throw, you could follow up with a jump-canceled up smash for the kill (first you'd have to condition your opponent to spotdodge, just by repeatedly using down throw combos), or what i like to do sometimes is throw out an empty short hop, and as they suffer spotdodge endlag I'd fastfall and then hit them with a forward smash, preferably angled up which would kill even sooner. Downside to this one in particular is if they DI correctly and they go out of range, or they actually throw out an attack like a nair. Another general thing i like to do is after a regular down throw combo of fair to fair or fair to upair, I'll throw out a cyclone. Also don't forget about down throw to dair near the ledge of the stage, or even at higher percentages on stage if you land it you could throw out a nair afterwards ff they miss their tech and end up rebounding of the stage.

I know you asked for downthrow combos but another thing I'd like to add is luigis up tilt combos. Usually when i read a roll id just uptilt and lock my opponent in continuous uptilts, although it doesn't work on opponents with frame 3 moves, so keep that in mind, after they start to get knocked out of range you could follow up with a nair, then at later percentages an upair, and even a bair if they're DI calls for it (fair too but you might as well stick with upair on this one just for the extra damage) in the case that you use nair when they're at a low percentage and they don't get knocked away from you, I'd just follow up with a cyclone immediately. Another thing to just throw out there is jab or double jab into up b. This is something I'd only try if im up a stock because it's not guaranteed and can be punished heavily. Also don't forget your jab into grab. I personally like to use double jab into grab, as it results in more damage, plus the dashing animation you have to perform in order to grab acts as a buffer so you don't have to time it as well, because if you don't time jab to grab well you'd just end up sending out your double jab and possibly your triple jab as well by accident.

Sorry for the long response, hope some of this helps

this message was huge but you know your stuff lol i love punishing a roll with up tilt go for grabs after that some of the information you gave me i havent thought about yet one of my questions is sometimes i like to down throw into a charged up smash it feels really satisfying when i get the k.o that way or just to rack up lots of damage but my last few matches when i down throw people just jump out of it do i change my combos up like down throw into two f-airs ? i know down throw into fair plus fast fall into a quick up smash will work as well but is there a way to pull it of without them jumping or is it for the characters who can move out of frame 3 only?

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
If you're opponents start to jump out of the way they're beginning to adapt to your style, so yea at that point it would be a great idea to start going for some aerial combos, or even a random throw (maybe not back throw if you're planning to keep it fresh for the kill), vause you don't want to be to predictable. Anyways i just went on training mode to confirm, but after downthrow into 2 fairs, the height you are from the ground isn't enough for you to auto cancel your lag upon landing, so when you fastfall directly afterwards try to upsmash, you can clearly notice the lag, opposed to if you tried let's say a down throw to fair nair or fair upair, you could fastfall and immediately follow up with an upsmash. However if you don't FF fair will autocancel and you could possibly get that upsmash in, but your opponent could either send out a frame 3 move, or jump out of the way (most likely if they're a good distance a way from the ground, light or small characters) so I'd only try this against characters with large hurt boxes or fast fallers (given they're at a percent that doesn't allow them to touch the ground before you do but before they end up a good distance from the ground), and most importantly opponents lacking a frame 3 move, so you can avoid getting punished. Anyways in general going for an uptilt, a cyclone or even a jab\ other tilt depending would be safer. Since the last patch the loss of 1% to fair did improve fairs combo ability to later percentages, but the loss of hitstun makes further grounded follow ups less guaranteed

Top Bottom