• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Tornado "Spike"?

Accidental

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4957-2604-8969
So watching Boss play, he uses the tornado on shofu (fox) underneath Ω Palutena's Temple. It sent shofu straight down and ended the set. Does anyone have any tips for landing that?

CoolPalMitch

Smash Cadet
NNID
mitchgamelover
I just tried this myself, it seems that when someone is caught in Luigi Cyclone, they're actually just alternating between being launched straight up and straight down at an incredibly fast rate. Fox must have gotten out of the tornado as he was being sent straight down. This isn't technically a spike since it doesn't make the sound effect that plays when you normally get a spike (don't really know how to put it into words, but basically goes PWSHHHH)

This also isn't really a tactic that I would recommend practicing, it's pretty inconsistent and mostly just relies on luck.

Accidental

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4957-2604-8969
"PWSHH" is a great sound effect. And, I looked at it again, it seems that he rises as he does it. So, there is luck involved, but I'm thinking now that the tech's main purpose is to rack on damage, and if you get a spike, that's cool too.

MrJOENeil

Smash Rookie
not really luck. all you have to do is caught them with luigis feet and keep luigi high enough so they stay in his feet area and they will get spiked down every time. ive watched boss do this to a lot of different people. it just hard to do bc you have to raise without jumping and that means you have to push the button so fast lol boss does it to actually spike people not to get damage.

Last edited:

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Basically, with the way multi-hits work, if you rise fast enough they fall out of cyclone and the result is a soft, but effective spike. Also you can trade cyclone with other characters up b moves that have hitboxes and get the spike effect. This works great against a lot characters like Little Mac, Zss, Marth, Lucina, and Mario when they are trying to recover. Just save your jump so you can get back on stage.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
The spike is actually ridiculously strong if you only land the first hit.

Heres me practicing super situation 0% Grab near the edge.
0% Dthrow > Fair is a set-up for a Dair spike.

zevee

Smash Rookie
Actually, it's not luck at all. Each of the hits you get from Cyclone will send your opponent down with a semi-spike. The only one the sends them back up is the very last hit when he throws his arms out. If you're good like Boss at mashing, you can jump off the edge, fast fall, and then Cyclone while mashing B fast enough so that they get hit by at least one of the hits from your Cyclone but get out of it before you get your last of the hits. I'm still working on it and it's really hard to get because the ability is momentum based (which just means it's a lot harder to pull of while falling down), but it's definitely a useful technique if you can get it down.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Basically...
its an advanced technique that's not recommended for people without button mashing skills.
And please ban the D-pad tech, that literally breaks the intention of the move.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Actually, no. As long as you rise with it, people can fall down.

If you're risky, you can use your double jump to rise and get the spike (Though, less effective since you can't really maneuver it freely, and people might be carried upwards when you're doing it) from below opponent. Beware: Get sneezed at and you're dead.

Last edited:

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
I think someone in the boards has mentioned that the bottom hitbox of the cyclone sends the person in autolink angles (meaning you get sent at around a 365 degree angle when you get hit) which is why the opponent is sent down at the direction that you are moving if you don't hit with the subsequent hits of the cyclone. So that's why the cyclone can "spike" when you gain height with the cyclone.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Yep pretty much what everyone has said. You catch your opponent in the cyclone, and mash fast enough so you rise w/ the cyclone and let the opponent fall out of it

TriTails

Smash Lord
I can see this being useful on chaarcter like Falcon who has vertical recovery without his double jump, given he himself is a fast-faller.

Unfortunately, people like Fox and Dedede who falls really fast have great vertical recovery... Though, maybe Sheik? Her Vanish isn't all that great aside from it being a friggin' teleport, and her vertical recovery mainly focuses on her double jump anyway.

Though, the tech gonna take you a toll on your mashing.

D

Deleted member

I don't like using the Luigi Cyclone to gimp my opponents.
I can see why this is useful and why people like boss would use such a thing. However, I don't think that it's advisable unless you have insane button mashing skills (which I don't really have...).

Perhaps, perhaps we could use it to edge-guard at the ledge, but I think that could be very specific.

Before the balance patch, I had two replays where I won thanks to the Luigi Cyclone spike. I thought to use the Luigi Cyclone to either recover or to catch my opponents off-guard and they spiked. This Shulk went straight down and failed to recover even with Jump and this Charizard was recovering, but the Luigi Cyclone made him bounce on the stage and he died.

I could practice this and might see if there are some practical uses for it...

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I don't like using the Luigi Cyclone to gimp my opponents.
I can see why this is useful and why people like boss would use such a thing. However, I don't think that it's advisable unless you have insane button mashing skills (which I don't really have...).

Perhaps, perhaps we could use it to edge-guard at the ledge, but I think that could be very specific.

Before the balance patch, I had two replays where I won thanks to the Luigi Cyclone spike. I thought to use the Luigi Cyclone to either recover or to catch my opponents off-guard and they spiked. This Shulk went straight down and failed to recover even with Jump and this Charizard was recovering, but the Luigi Cyclone made him bounce on the stage and he died.

I could practice this and might see if there are some practical uses for it...
It gives Luigi the opportunity to gimp every recovery in the game outside of Villager, Rosalina, Sonic, Pit, Dark Pit and DDD I might be missing a few (but it doesn't gimp anyone if they save their jump, it is very useful to know regardless)

GMG_JAM

Smash Rookie
NNID
GMG-Pie
3DS FC
2492-5508-6173
It has the potential to kill fast fallers outright at medium percents. I rely on this to close out stocks quite often.

Squiiidzoid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5026-5302-6885
Basically...
its an advanced technique that's not recommended for people without button mashing skills.
And please ban the D-pad tech, that literally breaks the intention of the move.
what is the d-pad tech?

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
what is the d-pad tech?
It's when you set all of the D-Pad buttons (the ones you use for taunting on the Gamecube/Classic/Pro/3DS/Gamepad controllers) to special moves so that all of them will count as a press when you use the Luigi cyclone, letting you rise up with ease. Although, I heard a lot of people who tried this that said it doesn't work well for them.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Wait... Can't Luigi just kill Rosalina's, (Dark)Pit's, and D3 by B-air-ing them to their deaths?

Rosalina's Launch Star and the Pits' Power of Flight does not have a hitbox, and D3's Super D3 Jump has a heavy armor that B-air breaks through. So... maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyybbbbbbeeeee we can either B-air and outright kill them, or B-air stage-spike them?

Oh, and if you all are curious, yes, Luigi's B-air beats Yoshi's double jump.

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
The tornado spike isn't anything new, Mario had it since 64 and I think Luigi did too. I executed it unintentionally once and thought it was a fluke, but now that there are other people claiming the spike still works, I can't wait to use it. I know not to go crazy with it, but I think with the spike, you could use it on stage and maybe lead into a utilt or usmash.

Luig

Confused
One time I gimped a pikachu who was doing Quick attack and his quick attack traded with one of my down b hits, spiking him to his doom because he had no idea what happened.

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
It's when you set all of the D-Pad buttons (the ones you use for taunting on the Gamecube/Classic/Pro/3DS/Gamepad controllers) to special moves so that all of them will count as a press when you use the Luigi cyclone, letting you rise up with ease. Although, I heard a lot of people who tried this that said it doesn't work well for them.
Side question: Is there really a way to set the D-Pad to other things besides taunts on the 3DS? I don't see that option, but it would be great if I could. Maybe on the New 3ds you can. I'm not sure. I DID see that on the Wii U you can do it for the gamecube controller.

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Side question: Is there really a way to set the D-Pad to other things besides taunts on the 3DS? I don't see that option, but it would be great if I could. Maybe on the New 3ds you can. I'm not sure. I DID see that on the Wii U you can do it for the gamecube controller.
Unfortunately you can't change the controls for the D-Pad on the 3DS, only for the other controllers.

Taxtation

Smash Rookie
Basically,Luigi's Down Special has a downwards hit element-thing to it,so if you land it then go away,they will drop downwards.If you don't do the dthrow->cyclone combo right,you'll notice this.Essentially your going to want to mash so that you kind of hover,then mash upwards so that your opponent will get out of it,which means getting hit downward.It might seem more effective on Fox because of his fast falling though

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SSB4 Mains::4sheik::4luigi::4fox:

SSB4 Secondaries: :4falcon::4link::4peach: :4ganondorf:

SSB4 Doubles: :4ganondorf: :4peach: :4ryu:

Last edited:

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
I'm noticing a higher success rate when ypu try to hit them with just Luigi's feet in the cyclone. Like sometimes if I don't aim for just that bottom foot box, they get sucked up into the rest of the attack and get the finishing hit, even when im DIing up while mashing.

Kursed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kursedx
I think it's easier to just spam
b instead of the D-Pad Tech.

Top Bottom