• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask Prequel/Sequel, anyone?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So I've been thinking about this for a while.

It was originally just a fantasy I had in the back of my head, but now I am starting to consider the actuality of it.

There have been many hints at a Majora's Mask remake for the longest time by Nintendo:

- There was Miyamoto back in 2011 (I may be wrong with that year) saying he wanted to either remake Majora's Mask, remake Link to the Past, or make a sequel to a Link to the Past (which eventually somewhat came in Link between Worlds).
- There was Anouma at Comic-Con 2013 saying something along the lines of, "Link's adventure in Termina has not been forgotten," when a random fan asked about a Majora's Mask remake.
- There was Majora's Mask in Ravio's house in LbW, and Ravio's journal that had THREE DAYS in it.
- There was the interview with Anouma, where he said "Just say that I laughed" when asked about a Majora's Mask remake.
- There was Skull Kid being announced for Smash Bros. WiiU (it is not confirmed whether we will be getting the same assists on both consoles, but if we don't, it is interesting that SK is on WiiU and not 3DS).
- In an interview with Anouma's team, they were asked why Majora's Maskw as on Ravio's wall. They responded that Anouma just told them to put it in their, and they don't know why.

Everyone says that these hints are at a Majora's Mask remake, but I am starting to think otherwise.
Anouma said that it took them 6 months to make Wind Waker HD, and the Majora's Mask rumors have been going on for longer than 6 months. If a WiiU remake was in development for the whole time it was being hinted, it should have at least been announced by now.

While all this Majora's Mask referencing has been going on for a long time, there has not been a single hint at what the NEW Zelda game for the WiiU will be.

My theory is that the new Zelda WiiU game, is a sequel or prequel to Majora's Mask, thus all the hinting at the game.
Not to mention there have been rumors that the next Zelda game will be similar in style to Twilight Princess, and Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess are the two "dark" Zelda games, and would fit together very well.

I am not saying that a Majora's Mask remake is out of the question. If the sequel/prequel is true, a remake could be released alongside it to celebrate.

A continuation of the Majora's Mask story would likely answer a lot of questions.
- What is the backstory of the actually entity Majora?
- How does Termina relate to the creation of Hyrule, shown in Skyward Sword?
- Who/What is the Happy Mask Saleman? Is he Pipit from Skyward Sword?
- What does Lorule have to do with all of this? If Hyrule has a parallel world of Lorule, does Termina have a "Initia" of sorts (Terminal means end, so it's opposite would be Initiatial)?
- Who/What is the Feirce Diety? Is it a last incarnation of Link? If so, which one is it?
- ARE TERMINA AND LORULE ONE IN THE SAME!?!?!?!

These questions and more could be answered in a prequel/sequel of Majora's Mask!

As unlikely as this all is, I really hope it is true.

Thoughts?

etecoon

Smash Hero
A continuation of the Majora's Mask story would likely answer a lot of questions.
For this reason alone I'm not sure I ever want to see Termina again. Part of what made MM so amazing is that it is a very mysterious game, it leaves much to the imagination. It leaves much unanswered, there are things implied but are unknowable to the player. For a sequel to explain everything in one fell swoop, it would be completely against the sensibilities of MM

At the same time some part of me would love to see it for nostalgia and because it is one of my favorite Zelda worlds, and it would be cool to see it in a different interpretation now nearly 15 years later

I'd buy it for sure but my anticipation would be restrained

- Who/What is the Happy Mask Saleman? Is he Pipit from Skyward Sword?
Alright this theory is a new one on me, probably doesn't help that I only played through SS once, refresh my memory?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
For this reason alone I'm not sure I ever want to see Termina again. Part of what made MM so amazing is that it is a very mysterious game, it leaves much to the imagination. It leaves much unanswered, there are things implied but are unknowable to the player. For a sequel to explain everything in one fell swoop, it would be completely against the sensibilities of MM

At the same time some part of me would love to see it for nostalgia and because it is one of my favorite Zelda worlds, and it would be cool to see it in a different interpretation now nearly 15 years later

I'd buy it for sure but my anticipation would be restrained

Alright this theory is a new one on me, probably doesn't help that I only played through SS once, refresh my memory?
I agree that Majora's Mask left a lot of mystery, and that is one of the things that made it great.
It always left me wondering if there is something more, and it would be cool if we actually got that something.
It would successfully "complete" the Majora's Mask story, and leave a proper end to it.
Of course, it would still have to leave SOME mystery.
I would just like a little bit of backstory on what I call, "The Terminian Trio," which consists of the Feirce Deity, Majora, and the Happy Mask Saleman. (I'll get back to this in a minute)
Even if there isn't that much mystery, it would add to the characters themselves, and the dept of the characters was another big factor that made MM so great.

As for the HMS theory, I actually got the name messed up. Pipit is actually the name of one of Link's friends. The character I was referring to was Rupin, who is a shopkeeper.
Here is a picture of him next to the Happy Mask Saleman:

image.jpg

The main thing that could make them connected is the appearance and behavior.
They are both hunched over, have the same bent elbows and hand positioning, have the same closed eyes and smile, and the same hair color and hair style.
They also both are always happy, until they don't get their way, in which case they open their eyes and become mad or upset. The only difference being that HMS becomes furious and enraged, while Rupin becomes gets more of an "annoyed" look.

Back to that Terminian Trio thing, I just had a theory while typing this out right now.
Maybe The FD, Majora, and HMS each have a piece of the Terminian Triforce.
FD has Courage (obviously, and due to his Link-like appearance)
Majora has Power (for obvious reasons)
HMS has Wisdome (due to his advanced knowledge on Termina's past).

etecoon

Smash Hero
I believe I've read that HMS was inspired by Miyamoto himself, so there is that reason for them to continue bringing back that persona. SS also has a lot of allusions that aren't necessarily of any consequence, "it's a secret to everybody" making an appearance for instance, Zelda sleeping for ages, ???...

Last edited:

Spire

III
BRoomer
I have noticed the same phenomena and have discerned a similar conclusion. I think one of two things will happen:
  • There will be a Majora's Mask 3D
  • Zelda U will have some connection to Majora's Mask
Or honestly, both could happen. They could remake Majora's Mask for 3DS and simultaneously make a new console Zelda that connects to said remake. I mean, um... how awesome would that be?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I believe I've read that HMS was inspired by Miyamoto himself, so there is that reason for them to continue bringing back that persona. SS also has a lot of allusions that aren't necessarily of any consequence, "it's a secret to everybody" making an appearance for instance, Zelda sleeping for ages, ???...
I remember hearing this to.
This is also the same reason I think HMS is some sort of god-like being in the Zelda universe, since Miyamoto actually created the Zelda world.

I have noticed the same phenomena and have discerned a similar conclusion. I think one of two things will happen:
  • There will be a Majora's Mask 3D
  • Zelda U will have some connection to Majora's Mask
Or honestly, both could happen. They could remake Majora's Mask for 3DS and simultaneously make a new console Zelda that connects to said remake. I mean, um... how awesome would that be?
I actually think that the Majora's Mask remake will be for WiiU.
I know that Ocarina was on 3DS, and that it wouldn't be fair for Majora's Mask to be on WiiU or something, but think about it. The Ocarina remake probably would have been on the WiiU in HD, but it wasn't even announced yet. Why would they make a 3D Remake, when they could have an HD one?
Plus, Nintendo needs as much money as they can get for the WiiU. A MMHD remake would definitely sell a decent amount of WiiUs.

As for Zelda U having a connection to Majora's Mask, I just realized another reason why it may very well have one.

Zelda U is estimated to come out in 2015.
You know what else is in 2015?
Majora's Mask's 15th anniversary.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'm a console guy so I'd rather see it on the Wii U, but logically it just makes too much sense to do it on 3DS when they already have the engine ported, I'd be really surprised if they did do MMHD

Spire

III
BRoomer
The engine could easily be ported to the Wii U and the graphics enhanced to HD. Nintendo finally nailed how to port DS games to the Wii U, so an N64-turned-3DS engine could definitely find refuge on the main console.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'm a console guy so I'd rather see it on the Wii U, but logically it just makes too much sense to do it on 3DS when they already have the engine ported, I'd be really surprised if they did do MMHD
I wouldn't be that surprised if we got MMHD instead of MM3D.

It would be more of a remake if it was for WiiU, and it would serve it purpose, to make a better-looking Majora's Mask, better than it would on the 3DS.
Plus it would rack in a lot of dough.

EDIT: Or maybe it is just taking so long because they are planning to release the "HD Triforce Collection," which would feature Majora's Mask HD, Twilight Princess HD, and something else!
I don't know what the third game would be. I'd say Skyward Sword since that was one of the games they tested the HD graphics on, but it seems to recent and already has great visuals. Maybe Four Sword Adventures, but that doesn't seem to be "worthy" I guess, and would fit better with a Four Sword collection.

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
MM is my all-time favorite game, but a remake on Wii U would be too much. A waste. Seriously, we already have WWHD. Why another remake? Wii U needs an original Zelda title and quick. Leave the MM remake for 3DS.

With that being said, I would probably go into a coma if a MM sequel was announced for Wii U.

Valacar

Smash Cadet
Nintendo has been strongly hinting at a 3DS remake since E3. I really hope it happens. I have never actually beaten Majora's mask, and im on edge about going to play/finish it because I know as soon as I finish it, the remake is going to be announced and then I'll die a little inside.

Jarelo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jarelo
Aonuma said that he has heard the fans regarding the topic, just look it up on Google.

I know I read somewhere that Aonuma said during E3 that he didn't want to release a remake to Majora's Mask remake so close to the release of A Link Between Worlds, as he didn't want to interfere with that game's sales, but I can't find the article at the moment.

I would post links, but I haven't made 10 posts yet :/

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I've been thinking about Majora's Mask itself, and what fans have come to "think" of Majora's Mask as. Since I've resenctly played through the game I though maybe I would share my insights or ideas with you guys.

Majora's Mask is know amongst all gamers as one of the darkest, creepiest Zelda games of all time. However, should you replay the game I think you will discover the adventure through Termina isn't as creepy or dark as we are remembering it. The darkest/creepiest parts of the game simply occur with The Happy Mask Salesman and Skull Kid/Majora. Sadly though, interaction with them is very small on the global spectrum of Majora's Mask.

Now should you choose to dig deeper, and go behind the general pop of Majora'a Mask, yes you can find very dark undertones. Like the concept that Link be dead, the depth and understanding of what it means to use the Song of Healing and acquire masks. The story of Kiffe and Anju, the sisters from the farm, etc etc. However, at a simple glance with no digging this all appears as a normal Zelda game.

Now why is that so many fans see Majora's Mask much darker than its initial pop and cover? Because of things like the story of BEN or the fact the game has been out and played to death by people for so long they discovered and shared these things with other people. People have played, watched, discovered, and shared dark moments of the game, and now many see it as such.

My opinion, Nintendo needs to realize that so many fans see Majora's Mask as a spooky dark game, much more than it actually is, or actually portrays itself. Nintenod should skip making a 3DS version like they did with OoT and instead just make a full scale remake for the Wii U. To beef up what fans are expecting they should use symphony music and really play on the music and emtions. Use new camera angels to really give us a scare, and not jump scares, but suspense thriller scares. Thanks to the story of BEN it added a new layer of dark to the premise of Majora's Mask and now they should really portray that in a remake. All in all with a new game engine, up graphics, newer darker music, and using different camera angels as well, this could be a much darker, thrilling, and fun experience for all fans.

At least, thats what I think.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Personally, I've been thinking about Majora's Mask itself, and what fans have come to "think" of Majora's Mask as. Since I've resenctly played through the game I though maybe I would share my insights or ideas with you guys.

Majora's Mask is know amongst all gamers as one of the darkest, creepiest Zelda games of all time. However, should you replay the game I think you will discover the adventure through Termina isn't as creepy or dark as we are remembering it. The darkest/creepiest parts of the game simply occur with The Happy Mask Salesman and Skull Kid/Majora. Sadly though, interaction with them is very small on the global spectrum of Majora's Mask.

Now should you choose to dig deeper, and go behind the general pop of Majora'a Mask, yes you can find very dark undertones. Like the concept that Link be dead, the depth and understanding of what it means to use the Song of Healing and acquire masks. The story of Kiffe and Anju, the sisters from the farm, etc etc. However, at a simple glance with no digging this all appears as a normal Zelda game.

Now why is that so many fans see Majora's Mask much darker than its initial pop and cover? Because of things like the story of BEN or the fact the game has been out and played to death by people for so long they discovered and shared these things with other people. People have played, watched, discovered, and shared dark moments of the game, and now many see it as such.

My opinion, Nintendo needs to realize that so many fans see Majora's Mask as a spooky dark game, much more than it actually is, or actually portrays itself. Nintenod should skip making a 3DS version like they did with OoT and instead just make a full scale remake for the Wii U. To beef up what fans are expecting they should use symphony music and really play on the music and emtions. Use new camera angels to really give us a scare, and not jump scares, but suspense thriller scares. Thanks to the story of BEN it added a new layer of dark to the premise of Majora's Mask and now they should really portray that in a remake. All in all with a new game engine, up graphics, newer darker music, and using different camera angels as well, this could be a much darker, thrilling, and fun experience for all fans.

At least, thats what I think.
Granted, I'm sure the BEN creepypasta has had some impact on the general mindset, but I completely disagree that people only see it as dark because they're looking too far into it.

I mean the entire game revolves around the fact that there's a giant creepy moon looming, threatening to crash to the earth and destroy it all if you should fail. That alone kind of gives off a creepier vibe than most Zelda games, I'd argue.

But there are plenty of instances throughout the game that make it more dark -- less of the typical hero's story, at least -- and I'm not sure why you're arguing that things like masquerading as dead people and what happens to Romani if you don't help her as "digging deeper" and are acting like that's not part of the game as if it's just some over-interpretation by fans. I think the surface premise and the main characters alone make it pretty creepy -- just the first part of the game where Link gets transformed into the Deku Scrub (and the Skull Kid's reference to "getting rid of" Epona, which 100% sounds like he killed her; even though it turns out he did not, I thought he did for years because I never played past the first 3-day cycle) is pretty disturbing -- but I don't see why you would discount the small things and sidequests from adding up to make the game what it is, particularly in the case of Majora's Mask where the sidequests are what endear a lot of people to the game.

The All-Night Mask is described to have been used as a torture device, you have a child in Ikana Canyon living with a gibdo-ified father that was going to end up eating her if you didn't save her, after midnight on the third day you can find the owner of the Swordsman School hiding in the back saying "I don't want to die," there are tons of just really small things that add to that. I honestly think one of the darkest things about the game is the fact that there is such a light overtone to a lot of things in contrast to how seriously disturbing a lot of things are. That's also reflected in the fact that people throughout the world are just in denial about what's going on. The moon's crashing down to the earth and so many people are acting like nothing has changed and everything's fine. Just because it's not in-your-face, dark hallways and scary monsters and darkness everywhere doesn't make it less creepy, and I find the subtlety to be more effective, personally.

This is all coming from somebody who played 90% of the game for the first time less than a year ago, so it's not my memory being affected here. It's quickly become one of my favorite games, so yes, I've played it two more times since, and I've read/watched various things relating to the game to be able to appreciate the little things better, but I don't think it's a reach to say that there's a lot of darkness in the game, and I think the fact that not all of it comes right out at you makes it more effective and not less.

So while I'm up for an all-out intense remake of it, I would probably be disappointed if they worked too hard to make it darker because it would detract from a lot of why I love it so much. I also don't know that that's a great marketing move as far as getting new players to the game, because I think a very obvious dark element only appeals to a certain fraction of the gaming population.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
Granted, I'm sure the BEN creepypasta has had some impact on the general mindset, but I completely disagree that people only see it as dark because they're looking too far into it.

I mean the entire game revolves around the fact that there's a giant creepy moon looming, threatening to crash to the earth and destroy it all if you should fail. That alone kind of gives off a creepier vibe than most Zelda games, I'd argue.

But there are plenty of instances throughout the game that make it more dark -- less of the typical hero's story, at least -- and I'm not sure why you're arguing that things like masquerading as dead people and what happens to Romani if you don't help her as "digging deeper" and are acting like that's not part of the game as if it's just some over-interpretation by fans. I think the surface premise and the main characters alone make it pretty creepy -- just the first part of the game where Link gets transformed into the Deku Scrub (and the Skull Kid's reference to "getting rid of" Epona, which 100% sounds like he killed her; even though it turns out he did not, I thought he did for years because I never played past the first 3-day cycle) is pretty disturbing -- but I don't see why you would discount the small things and sidequests from adding up to make the game what it is, particularly in the case of Majora's Mask where the sidequests are what endear a lot of people to the game.

The All-Night Mask is described to have been used as a torture device, you have a child in Ikana Canyon living with a gibdo-ified father that was going to end up eating her if you didn't save her, after midnight on the third day you can find the owner of the Swordsman School hiding in the back saying "I don't want to die," there are tons of just really small things that add to that. I honestly think one of the darkest things about the game is the fact that there is such a light overtone to a lot of things in contrast to how seriously disturbing a lot of things are. That's also reflected in the fact that people throughout the world are just in denial about what's going on. The moon's crashing down to the earth and so many people are acting like nothing has changed and everything's fine. Just because it's not in-your-face, dark hallways and scary monsters and darkness everywhere doesn't make it less creepy, and I find the subtlety to be more effective, personally.

This is all coming from somebody who played 90% of the game for the first time less than a year ago, so it's not my memory being affected here. It's quickly become one of my favorite games, so yes, I've played it two more times since, and I've read/watched various things relating to the game to be able to appreciate the little things better, but I don't think it's a reach to say that there's a lot of darkness in the game, and I think the fact that not all of it comes right out at you makes it more effective and not less.

So while I'm up for an all-out intense remake of it, I would probably be disappointed if they worked too hard to make it darker because it would detract from a lot of why I love it so much. I also don't know that that's a great marketing move as far as getting new players to the game, because I think a very obvious dark element only appeals to a certain fraction of the gaming population.
This is a really good reply and I am happy to hear it from someone for a change. People typically shrug off my idea, or have no concrete things to bring like you did, which were points I had overlooked. There most certainly are good points of the game that by themselves do make the game feel so much darker. I actually don't have much of a counter argument that wouldn't just be me reaching to try and keep my opinion "solid". So I agree, you brought up a lot of good points as to why the game on its own is dark without the rehash I thought up.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
This is a really good reply and I am happy to hear it from someone for a change. People typically shrug off my idea, or have no concrete things to bring like you did, which were points I had overlooked. There most certainly are good points of the game that by themselves do make the game feel so much darker. I actually don't have much of a counter argument that wouldn't just be me reaching to try and keep my opinion "solid". So I agree, you brought up a lot of good points as to why the game on its own is dark without the rehash I thought up.
Thank you, I appreciate that a lot. It's refreshing to have somebody consider arguments instead of just countering them (not that it's bad to disagree, it's just that it's rare that people are at all willing to listen to an alternate opinion). I'm glad my points made sense and all.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Hoping Majora's mask gets the treatment Windwaker got with its HD remaster

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
Thank you, I appreciate that a lot. It's refreshing to have somebody consider arguments instead of just countering them (not that it's bad to disagree, it's just that it's rare that people are at all willing to listen to an alternate opinion). I'm glad my points made sense and all.
Yeah, I learned awhile ago that people accidentally end up too prideful and end up arguing for the sake of just that. You made a lot of good solid points, I had honestly forgot. I am on my 3rd replay in the last year, but I haven't bothered to do 100% or even near 80%, I usually just run through the story and then stop before or after Stone Tower Temple.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
Actually one of the other things I want to mention is that there are a few more darker parts to the game I just remembered. As a Zora the Zoras literally think you are the guy who died. As you go through helping them and helping that characters love interest, evreryone thinks that guy is alive and well, and even his love interest feels like hes alive, but when it comes down to it, at the end of the adventure. There is no return for that zora or any of the others for that matter. Its depressing to think that his love interest would be sitting around waiting for his return, only for it to never happen.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'd disagree with trying to make MM some kind of horror game, the game did have darker undertones than other Zelda games but it's really more depressing and dark in a surreal way than scary on the whole. Just because BENDROWNED happened doesn't mean Nintendo should run with that(and I loved that creepypasta).

Also disagree with making the music darker and symphonic, for the kind of game MM is epic symphonic music really doesn't suit it. Even if a remake really tried to play up the creepier elements of the game, a more intimate soundtrack would be more appropriate I think. The game has more of an introspective and psychedelic feel to it, it's more silent hill than resident evil, if we're talking horror

What might be pretty cool (but will not happen) is for the remake to also contain a ben mode, a trippy scary glitchy second quest. I can't see Nintendo acknowledging fan work that prominently, but it'd be nifty

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
I'd disagree with trying to make MM some kind of horror game, the game did have darker undertones than other Zelda games but it's really more depressing and dark in a surreal way than scary on the whole. Just because BENDROWNED happened doesn't mean Nintendo should run with that(and I loved that creepypasta).

Also disagree with making the music darker and symphonic, for the kind of game MM is epic symphonic music really doesn't suit it. Even if a remake really tried to play up the creepier elements of the game, a more intimate soundtrack would be more appropriate I think. The game has more of an introspective and psychedelic feel to it, it's more silent hill than resident evil, if we're talking horror

What might be pretty cool (but will not happen) is for the remake to also contain a ben mode, a trippy scary glitchy second quest. I can't see Nintendo acknowledging fan work that prominently, but it'd be nifty
You might want to scroll up and just read the rest of the comments. I redacted this suggestion haha

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
what if the reason we haven't gotten a reveal for a Majora's mask remake is because of the New 3DS? Perhaps they are doing a Windwaker HD caliber remaster for it and they require the New 3DS to do so.

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
what if the reason we haven't gotten a reveal for a Majora's mask remake is because of the New 3DS? Perhaps they are doing a Windwaker HD caliber remaster for it and they require the New 3DS to do so.
Man I hope not! Nintendo is just abanding the 35 million people who the bought the 3DS

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
This is what I had immediately thought of after Xenoblade Chronicles was announced as the N3DS's first exclusive title. I know there are probably many who would have some grievances if Majora's Mask were to release exclusively for the N3DS (as it would basically be a situation where you are forced to upgrade your 3DS / 3DS XL to play), but if I may speak for myself, I really don't care. I've never upgraded my original 3DS to an XL yet, and knowing that Xenoblade Chronicles, a game of which I am very fond of (and have already completed, of course), is going to be ported to the system is basically my big incentive to buy it without question. That being said, I genuinely like the improvement being made to the N3DS, and to see MM running on its upgraded hardware would be the most definitive experience we could receive, bar a Wii U remake (which I would personally prefer, but don't believe we are going in the direction). The original MM did require the N64 expansion pack. . . This would be sort of like a call back towards that, right? Ha (I definitely understand where other people are coming from, though; I'm just saying that I myself would prefer it on the N3DS as I am going to purchase one regardless).

Edit: If they can get Xenoblade Chronicles (a very expansive and content-heavy game) running on the N3DS (albeit the frame-rate didn't appear sound, but I'll hold my judgement towards that upon release), it makes me wonder what other exclusive ports will be coming to the handheld in the future. . . I suppose that is for another thread, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom