• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario vs. Falco Matchup

LetsDuet

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I'm having difficulties against Falco. The lasers give me a hard time, but I've recently been playing Falcos in my region that play the matchup against me really safe. Falco's bair has so much priority against all of my moves that pretty much, retreating bairs are un-beatable. Eventually once more percentage is put on via lasers and back-airs, it gets to a point where the Falco can just find an opening and then charge in with a short-hop dair, and then I get into an edgeguard situation and then most of the time, the Falco takes the stock quite easily.

I've had quite a bit of practice with this matchup, but it's been on my mind quite a bit. Any thoughts on approaches and how to get past the back airs? I've tried short-hop and full-hop fireballs, but even those get out-prioritised by Falco's bair.

Thanks.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
It sounds like you aren't moving enough or being tricky enough with your movement, also sounds like you aren't utilizing cape or power-shields. And with good spacing, you should be able to punish whiffed/spammed bairs with F-smash it comes out reliatively fast, can be angled, has the range and fast cool down to be used in many situations -

1) If Falco is far away and camping with lasers you can safely use cape, it's probably the best non-shine reflector in the game because of how fast the reflect hitbox comes out, how long it stays out, and how fast the move ends.

2) When a Falco approaches with SHFF lasers he will inevitably try and cancel one into a tilt, smash, shine, grab or something when he closes in. This makes low-mid level Falcos VERY easy to read and punish. Mario for instance can easily CC D-smash/ grab/ uptilt/ jabs/ instant upair/ etc this kind of approach into very high percents. Even shielding the laser and then WD OoS back a bit into F-smash or Tilt, same goes for spot dodges as a mix up.

3) Run or WD at the camping Falco, close the distance to pressure but do not just throw out a dumb approach as you get within range. Instead be tricky and unpredictable, shield stop as you are dashing at them, then WD out of shield maybe, dash then WD back, FH then FF fireball, or WL on a plat and come down with an aerial. Learn the timing on powershielding the lasers with Mario it's very easy, Mario's crouch and then Powershield is one of the easiest in the game, and his running Powershield is even more lenient. Falco's SHFF lasers are very react-able unless they are point blank. If a Falco is SH-ing in neutral you should expect a laser unless then are in your face.

The real main thing is with Falco lasers is that you shouldn't worry about them hitting you. Once you start getting frustrated or thinking that every hit is a loss for you in neutral you have already lost mentally. They do minimal, damage and minimal KB, and SH FF lasers are reactable. Most Falcos will brag about how Falco has one of the best neutrals in the game, but really when low-mid level players use him his neutral becomes extremely predictable and easy to punish. Mario can definitely abuse Falco's neutral.

Last edited:

LetsDuet

Smash Rookie
It sounds like you aren't moving enough or being tricky enough with your movement, also sounds like you aren't utilizing cape or power-shields. And with good spacing, you should be able to punish whiffed/spammed bairs with F-smash it comes out reliatively fast, can be angled, has the range and fast cool down to be used in many situations -

1) If Falco is far away and camping with lasers you can safely use cape, it's probably the best non-shine reflector in the game because of how fast the reflect hitbox comes out, how long it stays out, and how fast the move ends.

2) When a Falco approaches with SHFF lasers he will inevitably try and cancel one into a tilt, smash, shine, grab or something when he closes in. This makes low-mid level Falcos VERY easy to read and punish. Mario for instance can easily CC D-smash/ grab/ uptilt/ jabs/ instant upair/ etc this kind of approach into very high percents. Even shielding the laser and then WD OoS back a bit into F-smash or Tilt, same goes for spot dodges as a mix up.

3) Run or WD at the camping Falco, close the distance to pressure but do not just throw out a dumb approach as you get within range. Instead be tricky and unpredictable, shield stop as you are dashing at them, then WD out of shield maybe, dash then WD back, FH then FF fireball, or WL on a plat and come down with an aerial. Learn the timing on powershielding the lasers with Mario it's very easy, Mario's crouch and then Powershield is one of the easiest in the game, and his running Powershield is even more lenient. Falco's SHFF lasers are very react-able unless they are point blank. If a Falco is SH-ing in neutral you should expect a laser unless then are in your face.

The real main thing is with Falco lasers is that you shouldn't worry about them hitting you. Once you start getting frustrated or thinking that every hit is a loss for you in neutral you have already lost mentally. They do minimal, damage and minimal KB, and SH FF lasers are reactable. Most Falcos will brag about how Falco has one of the best neutrals in the game, but really when low-mid level players use him his neutral becomes extremely predictable and easy to punish. Mario can definitely abuse Falco's neutral.

Thanks, man. This really helps alot. Playing this mid-tier gets a lot of hate from my University's Smash Club because I initially started to cape lasers in neutral from a distance; however, I still got criticism for doing it and it really got to me.
I haven't tried out options 2 or 3 yet, especially the WD OoS option. My powershields aren't great right now, but I now know what to improve on more in the matchup. Once again, thanks so much.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Thanks, man. This really helps alot. Playing this mid-tier gets a lot of hate from my University's Smash Club because I initially started to cape lasers in neutral from a distance; however, I still got criticism for doing it and it really got to me.
I haven't tried out options 2 or 3 yet, especially the WD OoS option. My powershields aren't great right now, but I now know what to improve on more in the matchup. Once again, thanks so much.

Oh man this kind of stuff is ridiculous. I had a similar reaction from 2 local Falcos.

I preceded to laugh really loud in an exaggerated way and said "You do realize you play a broken character with a noob Dair spike and 1 frame invincible shine that leads to pillar combos on the whole cast, right? Then shut up and play"

As a Mario you should completely trash Falcos to your best ability' don't hold back, cape them lasers and cape that crap Up-B and Side-B. Don't give in to the childish misplaced scrub hate. Tell em no johns, especially when they are playing a broken unbalanced top tier.

GL with developing your Mario, brother. :mario64:

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N
Oh man this kind of stuff is ridiculous. I had a similar reaction from 2 local Falcos.

I preceded to laugh really loud in an exaggerated way and said "You do realize you play a broken character with a noob Dair spike and 1 frame invincible shine that leads to pillar combos on the whole cast, right? Then shut up and play"

As a Mario you should completely trash Falcos to your best ability' don't hold back, cape them lasers and cape that crap Up-B and Side-B. Don't give in to the childish misplaced scrub hate. Tell em no johns, especially when they are playing a broken unbalanced top tier.

GL with developing your Mario, brother. :mario64:
As a Falco main I applaud you. This is exactly what every Mario player should do without mercy to a Falco. Take the hate, breathe it in, let it fuel you... Stand up with arms appraised laughing like the red-capped demon you are and proclaim: "IT IS I! MARIO! DEVOURER OF FLIGHTLESS BIRDS!"

Top Bottom