• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Defense Help

weirdointheback

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I like Marth alot, picked him up for about two weeks now and I'd like to know if anybody could help me with his defense as I want to have a very strong defense before I work on my offense with him. Thanks in advance to those who can help.

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
the best defense is a good offense,
that being said Marth's strictly defensive moves (counter, down b) are to punishable to really be a good option in most scenarios
I would only use his down b for mind games
most of his aerial moves (dair excluded) can be used to keep the opponent at bay, and his neutral special is ok for defense I guess.
mostly with Marth you just need to learn how to space yourself.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Regarding anti-approach as defense, your down-tilt, fair, nair and movement options are your best defensive options, besides shielding etc.

D

Deleted member

you're playing the character wrong. kill them harder. thank me when you're good and you understand why i said that.

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
If you need to back off as Marth, you can throw out retreating fairs, or use ftilt to space. Counter will work only once, if you're lucky, if they're any good.
fair>nair because you can shorthop double fair
ftilt>fsmash because less lag

Also, remember you have a good wavedash when retreating. WD back ->ftilt works better than most people think.

weirdointheback

Smash Rookie
I should try that, I haven't really done that. I mostly used dtilt for the most part. I never thought of WD back into ftilt much sounds pretty good in theory.

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Shielding is bad, slashing at empy air is bad, dodging with movement is good (Dash Dancing and WaveDashing)

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
I should try that, I haven't really done that. I mostly used dtilt for the most part. I never thought of WD back into ftilt much sounds pretty good in theory.
It works well when playing against a very aggressive opponent. As noted, don't throw out hits for no reason. And I forgot before, but be aware of your out of shield options. Being able to punish hits on your shield is crucial to any character.

MistFist

Smash Cadet
try to focus a lot on your movement (Dash dancing, wavedashing, and wavelanding) also try to master or get really good with the pivot fsmashes or pivot grabs. polish on your edgeguarding too thats key with marth. if you get good with all that, i guarantee your marth will improve 10 fold if not more

Top Bottom