• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth should be top tier.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
I honestly don't see why he isn't, the only weakness that he really has in my book is lack of projectile.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
The tier list is based on tournament results. Foxes and Falcos win more tournaments than Marth. Sheik has better matchups against Falcos than Marth does imo as well. I think he is fine where he is.

I don't see why you worry about the tier list so much. Marth is a great character who only has one difficult matchup. I don't pay attention to tier lists anymore since Dire Vulcan got 13th at a MLG.

If you have played pro players that use those characters, you should understand how difficult it is to play at the consistency the top Marth players play with. You can put Marth in the Tip tier for all I care. He is still Marth, a fun character in SSBM.

dude225

Smash Apprentice
marth has a hard match against falco as well as sheik... the SHL can **** marth on any flat level, especially FD... also fox can easily shine-spike marth because his recovery is so readable...

i know marth is great, but i think the tier list is acurrate... he has advantages but so do they...

anyway... i see the reason u want marth to be moved, but he deserves his spot, the other three arent necessarily better than him, they just have less disadvantages versus the other high-tier characters

EDIT: i really really like the banner two people down, lol... just thought i should tell u...

Realizzle

Smash Cadet
Ok out of all the people you posted, none of them truly really main Marth except for Ken and husband

Azen (main)
NEO (main)
FastLikeTree (main)
Mew2King
Azen = multiple chars. I see him bust out falcon, peach, sheik, marth, falco, everything
NEO = collectively probably more roy+sheik than marth, although it's arguable
fastliketree+mew2king = fox mains. yes both use marth but they main fox.

moving on...

caveman = doc/fox
km = more space animals than marth
PC = more falco/fox than marth
husband = another marth main

you have 2 marth mains (ken, husband) out of the 8 you listed.

most pros use marth as a counterpick character if they think he'll be useful.

Ken is the only person who ever wins with marth, and even then in the last few major tournaments he's lost to various people (koreanDJ's sheik, as one example).

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
oh well it DOESNT

lets not have another debate on the tier list.

the tier list is made by people that know their stuff insideout, backwards, inverted, and at any rotational angle. =], or on any known transformation of amplitude, phase shift, expansions compressions, and displacement!!!

if you think that your fav character should be higher on the tier list
then you probably dont have enough experience with the other characters.

Realizzle

Smash Cadet
Let's be honest, Azen mains Marth. No johns.
Nope. He uses a wide variety of characters. Falcon vs Chu. Lots of sheik vs various people. Peach, Falco in teams. List goes on.

NEO is arguable. His best character Marth, maybe Sheik, but definately not Roy.
Ok so we both agree that it's arguable.

FASTLIKETREE is a Marth main now if you didn't know. He still plays Fox though. I'm from Texas, I would know.
Not only am I from texas, but I'm actually friends with him, so I think I would know better. He mains Fox, always has. Marth is his secondary.

I never said Mew2King mained Marth, neither did I say KM or PC did.
fair enough

Caveman doesn't even touch Doc in tournaments anymore from what I've seen. I doubt you will see much of Doc from him in the future too...
eh perhaps. i know he's strayed more towards fox recently and some odd characters like falcon and samus.

at the end of the day though marth's placement on a tier list is irrelevant. that list is just...a list.

if you think marth is good enough to compete comparably with the current top tiers, then I say go for it. i think marth is somewhat difficult to use well in tournament so i give you my respect if you're a marth main.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
The point of the thread isn't to bicker about the tier list though just incase nobody caught that (it is a dicussion of various aspects of Marth that justify his tier placement).
Seriously, why isn't he? Think there isn't enough good Marth pros? Think again. I'm not saying Marth should be moved up just because of Ken, but the many other pros that have proven Marth can be just as unstopable as space animals. I'm saying he should be moved up because he has like zero bad matches besides Sheik, but Sheik isn't bad enough to knock him down a tier. Hell, try playing Falcon where not only do you have to deal with Sheiks, but now all of a sudden space animals **** you easy. I know Captain is lower on the list than Marth, so that isn't fair, however 1 whole bad match up is not enough to knock Marth down a tier and below Sheik. Space Animals don't exactly have zero bad matches either (they're not unstopable like everyone seems to think). Pros that **** with Marth just off the top of my head:
MAJOR! CONTRADICTION
MAJOR!

if you REALLY are so purposeful then
you need to change your title.
you should know how we already have wayyyyy too many 'this char should be higher" threads.

when you say.. 'marth -should- be top tier'
it implies that there is a demand of change

eg.
i should do my homework (since you were playing all day)
i should know better (implying that you demonstrated stupidity)
marth should be top tier (as in he isnt top tier)

uremog

Smash Ace
why? because fox and falco clearly stand out as a bit better than everyone else against a tournament cast. fox in particular.

sure marth players are capable of getting top 10. that's not good enough.

flaco

The Terminator
The tier list is there to remind you not the upper characters have the upper hand example fox an falco,and sheik have the upper hand over Marth but that doesn't mean is impossible to beat them.Well is true that sheik gives marth one hell of a fight but,I think the reason why marth ain't top tier is because fox and falcos shine combos thats all other that does reasons he should be top tier but he ain't how sad,I wish he was top tier.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
I've never really understood people saying that Marth has it easy against Fox. I only consider this a counter on FD, thanks to Marth's Chaingrab. I have crazy difficulties against Fox on pretty much any other stage; granted, I've played against maybe 4 fox players in my life that were any good, so it could be a lack of experience in the matchup. I guess I DID go and take a stock and a half off Chillin in my most recent matchup...

technomancer

Smash Champion
The tier list is accurate in order, but if you want to get picky about the labelling, yeah, I think Marth should be up there on the gay tier.

Neo's Marth and Sheik are pretty interchangable, however, I see him using alot more Marth these days. Mid-life crisis?

Azen said he prefers Marth because he thinks the wins come easiest with him.

Marth is Fox's worst matchup, due to CG, utilt combos, tech-chasing, edgeguarding, and the forward smash. It's the one matchup that Fox has to work for everything he gets. Still, Fox can camp it fairly well, and drillshine -> uthrow -> uair is as sexy as ever.

As far as Falco goes, see PC vs. Ken for a pretty accurate depiction of that battle at high levels. Essentially, it's a race to see if the Marth can pull off a CG/platform/fair combo into a tipper before Falco ***** him with teh lazor pillarz hax.

AS Money

Smash Lord
NEO is arguable. His best character Marth, maybe Sheik, but definately not Roy.
have you ever seen NEO's roy yes he dose use marth everyone dose cus he is so easy to be good with but in the FC6 crews he wanted to go roy but the eastcoast wrote down marth and MW wouldn't let him change (not that it mattered he still ***** everyone it was sad to watch at a Mid west guy)

flaco

The Terminator
Well use these has preference
Top Tier:
Fox
Falco

High Tier:
Sheik
Marth
Peach

Middle Tier:
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Doctor Mario
Jigglypuff
Mario
Ganondorf

Low Tier:
Link
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Roy
Young Link
Pikachu

Bottom Tier:
Yoshi
Zelda
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
I'd debate that Falco should be lower because of his horrid recovery. But as long as we can recognize that Fox is #1, and that him falco, shiek, marth, and peach all belong in the top 5 regardless of order then this arguement can probably end.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
i also think marth should be top tier.
i know some pros refer to falco-fox-sheik-marth as the best chars in the game, like m2k.
i cant really explain why myself though. well for me he just has everything and is able to compete with everything.
anyhow i think he belongs to a diffrent tier than peach

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
i also think marth should be top tier.
i know some pros refer to falco-fox-sheik-marth as the best chars in the game, like m2k.
i cant really explain why myself though. well for me he just has everything and is able to compete with everything.
anyhow i think he belongs to a diffrent tier than peach
Agreed, though I share a certain inability to explain.

WhiteOblv

Smash Ace
Marth's spot is great on the tier list i believe, i mean the only characters he has crazy trouble with are the onez above him an even then he can still ****.

Hes just too smooth.

bowz10190

Smash Apprentice
a few of marths moves have a lot of lag time as well. his up smash, down smash, and dair. although, he is an incredible character.

flaco

The Terminator
Well true marth has some move with less lag but compare him against sheik and that wont matter ok all characters except sheik are vulnerable to get grabbed in these instance except fox also anyway the instance is these when you like do come from above marth to hit him and press l cancel marth waits like usual then grabs the character but sheik does that right and marth cant grab her is a different style is a little bit hard to actually try that to sheik.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
who cares.

whether hes high or low, it shouldnt matter to how u about how much u like marth.

/thread

Eugenio

Smash Lord
a few of marths moves have a lot of lag time as well. his up smash, down smash, and dair. although, he is an incredible character.
Thats ok, because no one uses the up smash, because it is horrible. The dsmash is very rarely used as it should be, and the dair is usually only used to spike ppl of the stage.

Marthpaladin

Smash Rookie

Even Fox and Falco have their fair share of moves that aren't used by pros all that often becuase they r usually not good enough to use over other attacks(Ftilt,Fair, Dsmash) except Marth's Diar has more uses than the space animals' mentioned attacks.

I believe Marth's position in the tier list is reasonable because those playing one of the top 4 r not limited very much by their character choice.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
If space animals are better characters overall I would be really suprised if they had a higher win percent over marth. CG is tough to fight, a couple of matches Ken vs Bomb Soldier ken takes away an entire stock of 0 -Death with CG ending with a fwd smash/tilt --> fwd smash.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
I'd say below par. Still at a disadvantage to a Fox/Sheik/Falco at the same level, or even a Sheik on a lower level. You can see that from the Ken vs DieSuperfly vids.

Marthpaladin

Smash Rookie
I know that Marth is the lowest in usefulness out of the 4 top characters, but the usefulness is pretty close to equal, and that's why Marth's position does not matter to me.

Where have I stated that characters lower in the tier list r better overall than those higher in my previous post? If it was confusing I have edited it.

........Don't hurt me M2K?

Top Bottom