• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match up thread : King of Koopa vs The PSI Powerhouse, Ness

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
Here's a discussion thread about the matchup opposing those two veterans : got any tips against Ness ? Feel free to share them :) !

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Generally I've found that Ness is a +1 matchup for Bowser-and my area has quite a few Ness players. (and obviously, there's a crapton of them online). I'll list some things I've learned here.
  • Bowser's greatest weakness against Ness is yo-yo edgeguards. I've found no definitive way to overcome this, so the best strategy to avoid it is just to stay onstage.
  • Bowser can toughguy through PK Fire, making many of Ness' kill confirms less reliable-although it is a bit difficult. Learn which kill move Ness likes to go for (generally a smash attack or bthrow) and SDI while mashing an option to counter that kill move. Though I've found that once you go past 150, you're basically dead.
  • Ness has about seven years of air time, but Bowser is secretly incredible at juggling, so this should not be too much of an issue. Up air tends to be a good tool here-and obviously if they start drifting out to avoid, just chase and fair.
  • Ness has lots of combos, but no matter what, make sure you never go offstage because of them as I mentioned yo-yo earlier. DI accordingly to prevent any of that.
  • Because Bowser is super fast, if Ness is about to PK Thunder back to stage, just run off and fair.
  • Finally, using flamethrower to hit a recovering PK Thunder directly head-on will cause it to stop and force Ness into freefall. TIming can be a bit finicky but the reward is incredible.

Top Bottom