• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Medical Tools of the Trade" - Dr. Mario Moveset Discussion and Analysis (Phase 5: Dash Attack)

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Next move that we will cover is Down Smash. In my opinion, there's very little that is noteworthy about this move other than:
  • The speed of the first hitbox (frame 5)
  • The knockback of the second hitbox (i.e. really strong)
Otherwise, generic roll coverage or roll get up coverage option. Nothing special. Thoughts?

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Well, you just got covered everything about it. It's a good roll coverage with an extremely powerful back hit, it's a pretty decent move. Nothing more, nothing less.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
The way Nair functions is pretty interesting: The longer it lasts, the more % you'll get if your opponent gets hit by it. You can eventually use SH Nair in a way to assure getting a hit late. I guess you can use it instead of Uair for combos as a finisher since it's 1 frame faster, but i still prefer Uair overall.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Nair is one of our OOS options, alongside jump cancelled Up-Smash, Bair and Up-B. Comes out in 3 frames and can be used to break strings. The late hit allows us to edgeguard in a very unique way, but it's not our most rewarding one.

waterfall6464

Smash Cadet
Shorthop nair at the edge of the stage when your opponent is hanging at the ledge covers a lot of their options. The active frames on nair prevents shield after standard getup, hits ledge jumpers and trades/beats most ledgedropped aerials unless they're really disjointed like ness' or marcina's fairs.

Nair is also a good move to cover your descent to the stage, especially when used in conjunction with pills.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I like to use Nair when falling down against foes since we'll trade and they get hit by the late powerful hitbox. It's also good for getting out of combos and weird approaches your opponent wouldn't aspect, but it's a hard move to optimize.
I kinda want to talk about Dsmash from the previous topic because I think this move has more utility than we think. Dsmash is frame 5. That's ridiculously fast. Like, Think of this; you Baired something's shield and you're baiting an attack. You can walk towards them and Dtilt --> Dsmash frame trap if anyone takes the bait, or with its range and speed, you can surprise someone with this thing offstage and semi-spike-'em to their deaths. There's a lot of utility for this move we're neglecting or not recognizing.
And on future topic, dash attack: dash attack is a option I use as my last resort to catch landings and to frame trap shields with the last attack frames of the move. Besides that, I use it sometimes In Neutral as a random scary move that puts you somewhat above me for Usmash use.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
The guy who created this thread hasn't been online in a while and has not updated the title. I am just trying to make sure people don't forget about this thread.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Might as well move onto dair.

Dair is easiest to use against rolls or spot dodges. It can also be used to:
Challenge moves
Edgeguard. The last hit has horizontal knockback and the multihits can be used to drag opponents down.

You can combo into dair off of down throw on certain characters as well. It does 16 damage, which isn't much but it's better than down throw to uair.

Anyone else want to contribute?

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Sets up into Fair I think
Too laggy for that, though you can get up b if the stars align. This move is underrated in my opinion. There's very little about this move that's 'bad' per say and it does a lot of things decently.

Let's move on to forward air.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Dair: I just don't like this move, i think it's meh, it covers rolls & can edgeguard decently. That's it really.
Fair: Interesting move, can be used as a mixup & dthrow setup. Amazing kill power too.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Fair hurts, and can be comboed into on certain characters. It has better range than most of doc's aerials, but it is slow and laggy. I wish we had 64 fair but sped up to 6 frames and reduced endlag.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
One more thing about fair.

This was listed somewhere in the Doc forums, but Doc can get d throw to double jump fair on certain characters. I did this in training mode on Fox at 114. Worth remembering and/or exploring.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Let's move on to up air. One of my least favorite aerials. It has the same functions as Mario's (i.e. combo tool, combo starter, pressure tool from below, etc.) but it is much worse as it has low hitstun, but decent knockback. It can be used to edgeguard, but Doc has better options.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
I actually really love UpAir, it's true that the low hitstun is very unfortunate, but the angle is just lovely, you can get some sick combos involving this move, especially when people aren't aware of the matchup ( = lots ) . Also, good platform pressure move as it autocancels by SH FFing. I feel like it's still a nice aerial.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Shall we continue this discussion? Let's move on to the last aerial: back air. It's one of our best tools and one of the best bairs overall.

mr medicinal

Smash Rookie
Guys, anything else on Dair?
i love this move, it has so many situational uses
if you connect at the right height you can fast fall/ space yourself so the last hit dosnt connect, wich i use to continue or reset strings, go for regrabs ect
the last hit has great horizontal knock back, wich at early % can get some great tech chases
and at late % sets up edgeguards to
if you short hop and fast fall dair you can land with the strong hitbox first, this is a great get of me tool, and also helps with tech chases.
i feel this move has alot of untapped potential

Top Bottom