• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee running on Wii U through Homebrew (Works with Wii U Adapter now, will update OP soon)

LLDL

Smash Hero
I got up this morning and this idea randomly came to me. I think a few others have beat me to it, but I haven't seen it posted anywhere yet, so this is what I found.

Basically there is a homebrew app for the Wii called devolution which allows gamecube games to be played through an SD card by utilizing the Wii's hardware, which is very similar to the gamecube's. It dawned on me this morning that the Wii U has a Wii mode, so I thought "why not try this out", and it works.

The points that excite me are:
  1. The wii u recognizes analog button presses and light shielding works, I tried it myself.
  2. It outputs in widescreen 720p, which gives so many new possibilities to our streamers if they can get their hands on the equipment.
Videos
I do not have the mayflash or raphnet gamecube to wii mote adapters yet, but we are currently using this controller to test everything out.

It's a gigaware wireless wii/gamecube controller. I bought it like 2 years ago. I can't find it online anymore but they used to sell it at radio shack and on ebay/amazon. It's a gamecube controller that doubles as a wii classic controller. it does feels like a cheap third party controller but it get's the job done for testing this. The L and R buttons are analog and light shielding works.

How to get this working:

You will need:
  • a normal wii with homebrew channel installed
  • a wii u with homebrew channel installed
  • a melee disc
  • a 2gb sd card (not sdhc)
  • basic knowledge of how to use wii homebrew and install apps
  1. Download and install the two following apps for wii homebrew channel: cleanrip and devolution.
  2. Insert a melee disc into your normal wii and launch cleanrip.
  3. cleanrip will make a backup of your ISO in the root of your sd card. (It has to be a direct 1:1 copy of your melee disc, otherwise the game will not launch, which is necessary for authentication.)
  4. Once the rip is complete, launch devolution, mount the SD card and select the Melee ISO.
  5. Your wii mote should blink 5 times. On your classic controller or classic controller pro, press home and then press start, the game will authenticate the iso to confirm that it is the same as your actual physical disc (to prevent piracy) and then the game should launch. You only need the disc to authenticate on the the first time, then every time after that you should be able to launch your iso without the disc.
  6. The next step is to take the same sd card and same wii mote that you used to authenticate your normal ssbm iso, and bring to your wii u.
  7. Launch devolution on the wii u, making sure that you are using the same wii mote that you used on the normal wii to authenticate the game, and ssbm should launch. (Has to be the same wii mote, another anti-piracy measure to make sure that someone does not upload a pre-made SD card for people to use)
  8. Press minus and d-lad left to enable the widescreen hack.
  9. only drawback right now is that you can't configure your controller. I happen to have a classic controller that is shaped like a gamecube controller that I used to test this out. the b button acts as a. The y button acts as B. and the a button acts as X. Presumably because of the switched layout of the wii u classic controller pro. the gamecube to wii mote adapter, which I'm ordering soon allows you to map your own buttons should take care of that problem Instead of using devolution to launch the game, use a slightly modified version called devolutionCCBR. This one has the correct mappings when using the classic controller.
Another important thing to keep in mind is that gamecube games will most likely eventually be on wii u virtual console. This is proof of concept essentially of what is in store for us in the future if they release melee, and we don't want to rely on having to use this exploit on a bunch of wii u's for every stream if this turns out to be successful.

Beat!

Smash Master
So I guess this answers the question of whether Wii U's worth getting.

To put it another way, **** YES!

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Bought a GCN mostly for melee.
Bought a Wii only for Melee.
Now gonna buy a Wii U only for Melee? Damnit, this game is crack.

In all seriousness, I'm reserving judgment. We've run into so many "lagless" solutions that turn out to be close but not quite there (as in there was a significant chunk of players who could feel it). I do consider chain ace a reliable source, but I'm gonna wait until we have more people stepping in and confirming. Plus, devolution is a pain in the ass to install. I really hope this works though. Output in 720p is cool enough as it is.

Kadano

Magical Express
  1. (1) there is no lag whatsoever that me or Stric can feel while playing on his flats creen hdtv. and it's not even an evo monitor, which has less lag than the tv we're using.
  2. (2) light shielding works, I tried it myself.
  3. (3) it outputs in widescreen 720p which gives so many possibilities to our streamers if they can get their hands on the equipment.
1. If you can get your hands on a direct capture device, please record gameplay with it. I’m really curious whether the game is rendered in 720p natively this way.
2. How did you do that? I thought Wii U controllers only had simple digital shoulder buttons.
3. Is it possible to do 1080p as well?

kiw1

Smash Apprentice
i still dont get how you get to use controllers... i mean it wasn't possible on the wii but its possible on the Wii U?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Bought a GCN mostly for melee.
Bought a Wii only for Melee.
Now gonna buy a Wii U only for Melee? Damnit, this game is crack.

In all seriousness, I'm reserving judgment. We've run into so many "lagless" solutions that turn out to be close but not quite there (as in there was a significant chunk of players who could feel it). I do consider chain ace a reliable source, but I'm gonna wait until we have more people stepping in and confirming. Plus, devolution is a pain in the *** to install. I really hope this works though. Output in 720p is cool enough as it is.
I agree with you while realizing that though I may not feel any lag, someone else may. Ideally I want to get m2k to come try it. Once he tells me it doesn't lag that's good enough for me lol. But I think strics a good judge as well.

1. If you can get your hands on a direct capture device, please record gameplay with it. I’m really curious whether the game is rendered in 720p natively this way.
2. How did you do that? I thought Wii U controllers only had simple digital shoulder buttons.
3. Is it possible to do 1080p as well?
2. I have a wii classic controller that is shaped like a gamecube controller, it's shoulder buttons are analog.

and i'm 3 not sure if 1080p is possible. the image is actually 480p, but the original signal output from the wii u is 720. i think it depends on whatever capture device you are using, but it doesn't actually increase the resolution of melee.

:phone:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
This game is going to live forever. Or until the entire community can play Fox and cover every option consistently. Then and only then will this game be completed.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I agree with you while realizing that though I may not feel any lag, someone else may. Ideally I want to get m2k to come try it. Once he tells me it doesn't lag that's good enough for me lol. But I think strics a good judge as well.
Well then, until further notice, I'm watching the living **** out of this thread.

kiw1

Smash Apprentice
Well even if m2k tries it and say its lagging, you need to try it on different tvs.. i suggest testing it with a wavebird and 2 recievers, since this seems right now like the best method to do so

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
Now I want one of those controllers... It looks mod-friendly, enough so that you could swap the plastic shell with a Nintendo-brand controller, maybe even the buttons, at the cost of losing the ZL button. Someone needs to try this.

The Mofo

Smash Apprentice
The wiimote works on Bluetooth 2.0, which has a latency of 10-30ms, or 1-2 frames.

Revven

FrankerZ
Also, the Classic Controller (which is what the adapter to let you use the GCN controller is based on) has digital triggers, you'd likely run into the issue of light presses (and by extension, light shielding) not being recognized by the game/console. That would be a pretty big dealbreaker for many players.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Also, the Classic Controller (which is what the adapter to let you use the GCN controller is based on) has digital triggers, you'd likely run into the issue of light presses (and by extension, light shielding) not being recognized by the game/console. That would be a pretty big dealbreaker for many players.
the console recognizes analog shoulder button presses

Zoler

Smash Ace
Didn't read the thread. Does normal gamecube controllers work? If not I don't think it will ever take off.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
If you need adapters use these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BS520SG

I tested it and it works perfectly.

On this thread: I though when you put the WiiU into Wiimode it changed the resolution causing the games to have to upscale and lag anyways.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
So wait, since the Wii had a Gamecube Mode and the WiiU has a Wii mode that mean the next console will have a WiiU mode and in turn both Wii and Gamecube? If so, Melee will literally NEVER die.

strawhats

Smash Master
So wait, since the Wii had a Gamecube Mode and the WiiU has a Wii mode that mean the next console will have a WiiU mode and in turn both Wii and Gamecube? If so, Melee will literally NEVER die.
Melee is too Stronk

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
The wiimote works on Bluetooth 2.0, which has a latency of 10-30ms, or 1-2 frames.
Source? I read some conflicting things, here's one that says 10 ms is the "typical rate," which is 0.6 frames for the wiimote (anything less than 1 frame is basically negligible because your character cannot respond faster than 1 frame, though I can see how it could technically feel slightly different). That is not just the bluetooth latency either, that includes calculations and transfers for movement data. The packets may be smaller for just button presses, and so transfer could be even faster. It doesn't seem like Bluetooth should be the limiting factor, with 2.0 at a 2.1 Mbit/s typical rate and 22 byte packets converting to just less than 0.1 ms.

I very well may be wrong on that, but at least I didn't just throw out information with no backing and claim it as fact.

Anyway, this is definitely good news. If a player like StriCNYN3 can't tell the difference, I think it is probably close enough to lagless.

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
I have a question, you know how come you can powersheild cause the controller has analog triggers? How the hell does that work? The original classic controller didn't have any analogue triggers, so how on earth does the Wii/Wii U detect the triggers?

LLDL

Smash Hero
I have a question, you know how come you can powersheild cause the controller has analog triggers? How the hell does that work? The original classic controller didn't have any analogue triggers, so how on earth does the Wii/Wii U detect the triggers?
it is literally the game itself detecting the analog triggers and not the console. So as long as you get a peripheral that supports analog, melee should be able to be played fine if you configure that controller on the wii u.

also more footage, this time direct feed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzL-pXEvJkA

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Wait, how is analog support with that converter possible? From what it looks like it's going from Gamecube to Classic Controller and doesn't detect analog L/R buttons in the process. Never mind the original Classic Controller had analog support. I was thinking of the Classic Controller Pro.

Can someone confirm if this fixes the doubles lag on Fountain of Dreams? From what I remember Devolution runs Gamecube games in Wii mode (hence the PS3/USB/Wii U Pro/Classic Controller support on regular Wiis) instead of sandboxing the hardware to be identical to the Gamecube like the Wii normally does when it runs from a disc.

Also, while lag-free HDTV play is nice, doing so through Wii U's isn't a viable tournament option because Wii U can receive is wireless controllers (which is what your GCC becomes after you put it through a converter).

CosmoNaughtilus

Smash Apprentice
As someone with both a WiiU and an HD capture device, I'm going to give this a shot. I'm currently ripping my Melee disc now, and will update the thread when I have a direct-capture video to show.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
This is an exciting turn of events, but oh no! I don't have a Classic Controller, Pro Controller, or GCN adapter to try this with. I need to invite someone over with a cc controller.

LLDL

Smash Hero
As someone with both a WiiU and an HD capture device, I'm going to give this a shot. I'm currently ripping my Melee disc now, and will update the thread when I have a direct-capture video to show.
sweet let me know how it feels for you. do you have an evo monitor by any chance (asus vh236h)?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Wait, how is analog support with that converter possible? From what it looks like it's going from Gamecube to Classic Controller and doesn't detect analog L/R buttons in the process. Never mind the original Classic Controller had analog support. I was thinking of the Classic Controller Pro.

Can someone confirm if this fixes the doubles lag on Fountain of Dreams? From what I remember Devolution runs Gamecube games in Wii mode (hence the PS3/USB/Wii U Pro/Classic Controller support on regular Wiis) instead of sandboxing the hardware to be identical to the Gamecube like the Wii normally does when it runs from a disc.

Also, while lag-free HDTV play is nice, doing so through Wii U's isn't a viable tournament option because Wii U can receive is wireless controllers (which is what your GCC becomes after you put it through a converter).
The wii u and wii homebrew can communicate with the usb ports. i think gamecube to usb would be very possible if someone took the time to look into. as of now, you are right the wii mote's are not very reliable. I've had it stop communicating with my classic controller altogether twice now.

sorry bout toe double post, Mods can u merge them :x

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
My GCC adapter works fine and has never disconnected or lagged on me.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Devolution is something like an emulator for GameCube games on the Wii. The reality is that the hardware is not emulated at all since it's all there already. Devolution remaps all the controller, graphics card, sound processing, cpu, broadband adapters, memory card, disc drive and others. Because of this, it can do some things a regular cube cannot, like change a resolution to a wide screen one.

Also, Wii homebrew apps have access to the USB ports. Devolution supports and remaps a PS3 controller connected via USB. It also has access to the Bluetooth controller and can communicate over Bluetooth.

The developer has already confirmed getting an XBox360 controller to work over USB. It should theoretically be possible to implement HID support for USB devices that convert GameCube game signals. Basically, this means you might be able to connect a GameCube controller to a USB port and start playing. It might actually work right now with a few buttons not working properly.

As for WiiMote to USB, the Wii accessory to WiiMote signals are encrypted which add a delay in processing. Raphnet's converters have 3ms latency. But USB seems the way to go, we'll just need a USB hub for doubles.

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
Actually, the first classic controller has analog shoulder buttons. The classic controller pro only had digital triggers.

Top Bottom