• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mirror Shield Combo Escape ("Nice try!")

Liquid Brick

Smash Cadet
So I'm back, but I bring important news. Last night during a smashfest, a friend as Fox U-throw U-air'd me at kill % only I managed to SDI the throw and pulled out a quick down-B, causing Fox's U-air to bounce off the Shield (weird I know).
I can't test if this is reliable or not right now as I don't have a partner to go to the lab with, but it ended up working 3/4 times I used it (the only time it failed to work was without SDI on the throw at about 175%). If there is anyone with a buddy to practice this with, I strongly suggest you start checking it out now! It's a possible option to save face against one of Fox's best killing options, thus making the match-up even more advantageous in your favor. Again, I'm not sure if the actual mirror reflects the U-air of if it is down-B's start-up armor that causes this to work, but either way I have some strong hopes. Good luck and have fun! :D

Liquid Brick

Smash Cadet
Sorry, I meant SDI the 1st hit of Fox's U-Air, not his throw. Aside from that, I've had a chance to play against Fox more, and it seems this only works when you are below kill % anyway, so it's not very beneficial. It's better to just not get grabbed in the 1st place lol.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Sorry, I meant SDI the 1st hit of Fox's U-Air, not his throw. Aside from that, I've had a chance to play against Fox more, and it seems this only works when you are below kill % anyway, so it's not very beneficial. It's better to just not get grabbed in the 1st place lol.
That makes sense now. But any character can SDI the first hit to avoid the second.

http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-sdi-foxs-u-throw-u-air-and-not-die.217426/

11/10 best guide ever.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
In general, I feel like people don't use the reflective/turn around ability of this move enough in P:M. There's some really evil/silly **** you can do with it, especially against certain approaches and recoveries.

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Does the mirror turn people around in their recovery like Mario/Doc's cape? Because I've tried on a CPU for about 5 mins and all I got was a Fox that pushed me back

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Does the mirror turn people around in their recovery like Mario/Doc's cape? Because I've tried on a CPU for about 5 mins and all I got was a Fox that pushed me back
It does but only on a move that makes physical contact with the shield and only during the first few frames that it's pulled out (look at the glimmer/flashes of light when the shield is first pulled out, that's the timing for it).

CeLL

Smash Lord
As far as I know, it can turn around any recovery. Maybe, and I mean maybe, not Mewtwo's. But, as stated above, only in the initial frames.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Generally nair is a better combo breaker it is 2 frames faster than down-B. If nair is outspaced though or the angle is different you have got a chance.
In the case of Fox' up-throw up-air it should not work. If you can down-B before the up-air jumping out would be better and it is impossible between the two hits.

Top Bottom