• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] Luigi

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I will try my best to offer something on this since I'm still just ok at this game.

I've probably fought Luigi more than any character in any smash because my friend plays him pretty relentlessly. some thing's I've noted so far:

I'd like to thank Zelkam for the following write up. Some great stuff. Everyone else has been great also! Keep it coming!!!

1) The grab
I believe we're all aware that weegee's grab game is something to be avoided at all costs. One grab to Dthrow can lead to countless follow ups. If weegee wants to rack damage on you then you can expect a Fair, Uair, Dair, or regrab. If he's going to the kill then he'll most likely go for Nair, the cyclone, or the fire jump punch. The important thing about that last option is that it's a true combo at certain percents if you don't DI. Learning to DI weegee's Dthrow combos is essential if you want to live. Of course not getting grabbed in the first place is an even better option and you should go with that every change you get.

Unfortunately, there really isn't a clear cut way on DIing the Dthrow combo. Mostly it's going to depend on which options your opponent likes to follow up with and always trying to stay one step ahead of him. At lower percents then players will almost always go for a couple of Fairs and then maybe a jab or regrab. If this is the case then you want to DIup and towards weegee. You might still get caught by the first Fair, but you'll be saving yourself from further follow ups. It's possible that he could eventually catch onto this and switch to Uairs in which case you could try DIing away from him but you might just be playing into another Fair string down the road. Honestly, at low percents there's not a whole lot you can do once you've been grabbed so I'll say this again - don't get grabbed.

Once you get into higher percents the important thing is that you simply DI. Again, I can't really tell you how to DI, it all depends on your opponent. If you don't DI, though, then you're just asking to die. Like I said earlier, FJP is a guaranteed kill if you don't DI. You just gotta try to stay one step ahead. Once you're out of hitstun, I would suggest a FFed airdodge. You don't want to contest Luigi in the air unless you're confident you can out space him.

2) Fireballs
Weegee's only projectile, but honestly he doesn't need any others for how good this one is. Weegee's fireballs deal more damage than Mario's, don't suffer from damage falloff, aren't effected by gravity, um...oh and they're green instead of red. Weegee will use his fireballs for zoning, covering/stopping an approach, or simply tacking on some extra damage. Fireballs are excellent for denying your opponent options. SH fireball will shut down almost all aerial options, and a grounded fireball is great at limiting (you guessed it!) ground options. Many times you see a weegee do a SH fireball before approaching to prevent you from countering with an aerial. Likewise, he might do the same thing if he expect you to approach with an aerial. Watch out for fireballs to cover the ledge getup as well. ledgehop fireball is pretty common among weegees.

Fireballs will stop every one of our projectiles. Even fully charged arrows. Yes, they are that good. However, it should be noted that we can stop a fireball with any of our aerials without taking any damage. Learning how to powershield or the fireballs should be too much trouble, but you should always be on the lookout for the follow up. If you miss then powershield timing then you might have just set yourself up for a grab.

3) Cyclone
Probably weegee's most versatile special move outside of fireballs. Often you'll see this move used to continue combos, cover distance, approach, or even kill. Here's my biggest piece of advice concerning the cyclone. Expect weegee to use cyclone to cover his landing. It amazes me how many people haven't caught onto this yet. Cyclone has amazing priority, and the fact that you can move as soon as you hit the ground makes it the best option makes it the best option for getting back on the stage. Probably the best thing you can do against cyclone is shield it. The endlag is pretty bad if weegee whiffs which can lead to a free punish.

Like I mentioned above, weegee can also use cyclone to go for the kill after a Dthrow. If you feel like living dangerously you can try to Dair him out of it. The safer option would probably just be to FF airdodge.

4) Smash attacks
Weegee has arguably some of the best smash attacks in the game. They're deceptively powerful for how quick they are. If I had one word of advice it would be, don't try to punish weegee's smash attacks. maybe if you just powershielded a Fsmash then you could go for a jab, sure. If you're not already within attacking range and weegee whiffs a smash attack for some reason, though, you should not attempt to punish him. Weegee recovers from his smashes too quickly and Link has way too mush startup lag to try to punish. Fortunately for us, weegee does best at KOing over the top with Usmash and an up angled Fsmash so our weight should help us live longer.

5) Nair
Weegee is one of the few characters that rivals Link in the sheer awesomeness of his Nair. I'm gonna start off by saying, don't try to challenge weegee's Nair. Although it is possible to trade Nair's with weegee, his has more knockback and could potentially kill you. Not to mention that the hitbox comes out on frame 3 (4 frames faster than ours) so you're not gonna be able to react to it even if you try. Nair is a great combo finisher and kill move for Luigi. It has vertical knockback so even if it doesn't kill you, it might just set you up for another air combo.

6) Recovery
Alright, enough bad news, lets talk about something we can actually do - gimping. Luigi's recovery was nerfed in Smash 4. His super jump punch doesn't go nearly as high as it did in Brawl. IMO this hurt Luigi's recover a lot because this means that weegee has to rely on his second jump for vertical recovery.

This is something that I'm sure all of the veteran Link's mains are very familiar with. Basically, weegee's recovery in Sm4sh is much like ours was in Brawl. Both the cyclone and (surprisingly) the green missile will rise higher if used immediately after a jump. Now technically you can get the full height out of the cyclone if you mash the B button fast enough, but anyone capable of moving their fingers that fast is gonna be spending more time with the ladies than playing smash, if you know what I mean. So anyway, what does this mean for us? Well, quite simply it means that if you steal weegee's midair jump then you will be making it 10x harder for him to recover. Its typically not very difficult to gimp weegee either because his recovery is fairly linear. Most weegee's will either start off by using a couple green missiles or charging a single missile and then jump to cyclone or SJP. by using an attack or projectile right when they use their jump you've essentially sealed their fate.

Alright, I'm done rambling for now. I'm not entirely sure why I spent the time writing this as most of you can even be bothered to read the board rules, let alone this (looks at ShinnyMetal). However, like my other characters, I love Luigi so I don't really mind. Hopefully some of this will help despite my lack of eloquence. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
  • Don't get grabbed!
    • sounds like the most duh advice on the planet but it's essential when you are fighting luigi. More so with link because he is content with your weight for comboing. I've been true combo'd with a d-throw>fair>fair>f-smash because at 0%, if it wasn't true it was a tight dodge window.
  • Mix-up your DI game
    • He has tons of options when whiffing a fair. However I'd rather him use a bair in most cases so that I don't get combo'd to the ground where he has 0 end lag (well...close to) after a fair with quick, hard to punish f-smash/up smash.
  • Cold dash attack is useless (for the most part)
    • this essentially goes for a lot of projectile characters though.
  • Get hit with a fireball from short-mid/mid range?
    • JAB! you can jab very quickly after being hit. I'll often not shield a fireball because the shieldstun seems greater than the hitstun
  • Fight Nair with Nair!
    • Luigi's nair is a freaking beast BUT your's is almost as good but with a bit more range. When I'm sheik I don't want to trade with his nair but I don't mind as link. You don't want to always but if you have no choice just keep him at bay. This id definitely NOT the appropriate option if you are grounded. If he is in the air with you, airdodging has proven to be a poor option in my experience because he'll just do another aerial. So I like to nair (as long as it won't kill me) and put some space between us and he still gets some damage
  • I'd say that this MU comes down to 3 things: patience, spacing, more patience.

[*]Weegee is faster than Link in everything and most if not every one of his hits out prioritise ours. This is a game of waiting and punishing while keeping preferable spacing (zair length at least). At least that's how I play this MU since Weegee, while a projectile heavy char, is a ruthless melee char and wants to get in your face. It's all about timing and taking your time to read his patterns and punish as safely as possible accordingly.
I still lose a lot haha so maybe not the best advice, he has been playing smash at a higher level a lot longer than me though

I'll attempt to keep the top-post up to date with anything pertinent I find in replies

Last edited:

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Against projectile heavy characters, I find it wise to use more bombs than normal. They go through most projectiles, which Mario and Luigi mains usually don't expect.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Against projectile heavy characters, I find it wise to use more bombs than normal. They go through most projectiles, which Mario and Luigi mains usually don't expect.
The only real issue with this vs luigi is, while it does beat a fireball, it tends to go over his fireball so you have to keep proper spacing still. Something I've come to know intimately haha

Last edited:

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
I suppose if one can anticipate the fireball and throw the bomb early, Luigi will be hit before the fireball comes out or there will enough time to block it with the Hylian Shield.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I suppose if one can anticipate the fireball and throw the bomb early, Luigi will be hit before the fireball comes out or there will enough time to block it with the Hylian Shield.
Sure enough, I know I've down this plenty. they like to use them a lot to get a grab in. HS is great for blocking it in general, I just have to work on my reaction time on blocking with it so that I can punish

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I'd say that this MU comes down to 3 things: patience, spacing, more patience. Weegee is faster than Link in everything and most if not every one of his hits out prioritise ours. This is a game of waiting and punishing while keeping preferable spacing (zair length at least). At least that's how I play this MU since Weegee, while a projectile heavy char, is a ruthless melee char and wants to get in your face. It's all about timing and taking your time to read his patterns and punish as safely as possible accordingly.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Luigi's fireballs cancel our bombs actually. Of course, like it was mentioned, it doesn't really matter because the fireball flies so low that the bomb usually goes right over it. I'll go into this matchup with a little more detail later when I'm at my computer.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Luigi's fireballs cancel our bombs actually. Of course, like it was mentioned, it doesn't really matter because the fireball flies so low that the bomb usually goes right over it. I'll go into this matchup with a little more detail later when I'm at my computer.
I'm sure a smash throw beats fireball though? I might be wrong

I'd say that this MU comes down to 3 things: patience, spacing, more patience. Weegee is faster than Link in everything and most if not every one of his hits out prioritise ours. This is a game of waiting and punishing while keeping preferable spacing (zair length at least). At least that's how I play this MU since Weegee, while a projectile heavy char, is a ruthless melee char and wants to get in your face. It's all about timing and taking your time to read his patterns and punish as safely as possible accordingly.
Tell me about it haha. It's a rough match-up. damn priority, I'm just so glad nair trades rather than being beatout because that helps keep him off his game since he needs combos, we don't necessarily.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I'm sure a smash throw beats fireball though? I might be wrong

Tell me about it haha. It's a rough match-up. damn priority, I'm just so glad nair trades rather than being beatout because that helps keep him off his game since he needs combos, we don't necessarily.
Luigi's fireball does 6% damage which is exactly enough to make a bomb explode regardless of how you throw it.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Actually, trading nails with Luigi is a bad idea since his nair has way more knockback than ours, which means that he will kill you with it before you do. Also, he recovers faster from nair than we do. In any MU, but specially vs weegee, trying is a bad option. It's better to shield and punish OoS once the hitbox is over than trade.

Koby_T

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kobyteith
I approach this MU with the same patience and caution as I do Ganon. If you mess up, you're getting 35%, whether from 3 hits or 14. Luigi wants to be up close and personal but I've rarely felt too much pressure trying to keep him out. (Maybe I've rarely fought a good Luigi)

Luigi is obviously all about his grab follow ups which usually come from punishes and his fireball. Bombs take center stage here because they cut through the fireballs and provide stage control. A bomb should be on the stage at nearly all times, especially against Luigi.

As said above, spacing is critically important here. Luigi's traction betrays him when it comes to defending in shield. A tipped ftilt and dsmash are my punishes of choice because of the huge shield push. I like to use pivot ftilt to discourage dash grabbing.

If I screw up and get caught in Luigi's mess of a juggle, I usually try to DI towards the edge if its close. The OP mentioned in passing that Luigi has really good frame data for transitioning between ground and air game. This DI has saved me from a few strings.

Edit: Luigi's fireballs do 6% damage and cancel bombs, my mistake.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Actually, trading nails with Luigi is a bad idea since his nair has way more knockback than ours, which means that he will kill you with it before you do. Also, he recovers faster from nair than we do. In any MU, but specially vs weegee, trying is a bad option. It's better to shield and punish OoS once the hitbox is over than trade.
yeah i do agree with this. It's not the "preferable option" by any means. But I use it when I don't have another safe option. I guess I should specify some more on that.

When i find myself in the air I find it advantageous nair rather than airdodge. He can punish an airdodge much easier than a nair. If there is a better option I'd love to know

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Alright, now that I have my trusty keyboard let's talk about the weegee matchup. Let's start with some of the more obvious things that have already been touched on.

[WARNING: Wall of text incoming]

1) The grab
I believe we're all aware that weegee's grab game is something to be avoided at all costs. One grab to Dthrow can lead to countless follow ups. If weegee wants to rack damage on you then you can expect a Fair, Uair, Dair, or regrab. If he's going to the kill then he'll most likely go for Nair, the cyclone, or the fire jump punch. The important thing about that last option is that it's a true combo at certain percents if you don't DI. Learning to DI weegee's Dthrow combos is essential if you want to live. Of course not getting grabbed in the first place is an even better option and you should go with that every change you get.

Unfortunately, there really isn't a clear cut way on DIing the Dthrow combo. Mostly it's going to depend on which options your opponent likes to follow up with and always trying to stay one step ahead of him. At lower percents then players will almost always go for a couple of Fairs and then maybe a jab or regrab. If this is the case then you want to DIup and towards weegee. You might still get caught by the first Fair, but you'll be saving yourself from further follow ups. It's possible that he could eventually catch onto this and switch to Uairs in which case you could try DIing away from him but you might just be playing into another Fair string down the road. Honestly, at low percents there's not a whole lot you can do once you've been grabbed so I'll say this again - don't get grabbed.

Once you get into higher percents the important thing is that you simply DI. Again, I can't really tell you how to DI, it all depends on your opponent. If you don't DI, though, then you're just asking to die. Like I said earlier, FJP is a guaranteed kill if you don't DI. You just gotta try to stay one step ahead. Once you're out of hitstun, I would suggest a FFed airdodge. You don't want to contest Luigi in the air unless you're confident you can out space him.

2) Fireballs
Weegee's only projectile, but honestly he doesn't need any others for how good this one is. Weegee's fireballs deal more damage than Mario's, don't suffer from damage falloff, aren't effected by gravity, um...oh and they're green instead of red. Weegee will use his fireballs for zoning, covering/stopping an approach, or simply tacking on some extra damage. Fireballs are excellent for denying your opponent options. SH fireball will shut down almost all aerial options, and a grounded fireball is great at limiting (you guessed it!) ground options. Many times you see a weegee do a SH fireball before approaching to prevent you from countering with an aerial. Likewise, he might do the same thing if he expect you to approach with an aerial. Watch out for fireballs to cover the ledge getup as well. ledgehop fireball is pretty common among weegees.

Fireballs will stop every one of our projectiles. Even fully charged arrows. Yes, they are that good. However, it should be noted that we can stop a fireball with any of our aerials without taking any damage. Learning how to powershield or the fireballs should be too much trouble, but you should always be on the lookout for the follow up. If you miss then powershield timing then you might have just set yourself up for a grab.

3) Cyclone
Probably weegee's most versatile special move outside of fireballs. Often you'll see this move used to continue combos, cover distance, approach, or even kill. Here's my biggest piece of advice concerning the cyclone. Expect weegee to use cyclone to cover his landing. It amazes me how many people haven't caught onto this yet. Cyclone has amazing priority, and the fact that you can move as soon as you hit the ground makes it the best option makes it the best option for getting back on the stage. Probably the best thing you can do against cyclone is shield it. The endlag is pretty bad if weegee whiffs which can lead to a free punish.

Like I mentioned above, weegee can also use cyclone to go for the kill after a Dthrow. If you feel like living dangerously you can try to Dair him out of it. The safer option would probably just be to FF airdodge.

4) Smash attacks
Weegee has arguably some of the best smash attacks in the game. They're deceptively powerful for how quick they are. If I had one word of advice it would be, don't try to punish weegee's smash attacks. maybe if you just powershielded a Fsmash then you could go for a jab, sure. If you're not already within attacking range and weegee whiffs a smash attack for some reason, though, you should not attempt to punish him. Weegee recovers from his smashes too quickly and Link has way too mush startup lag to try to punish. Fortunately for us, weegee does best at KOing over the top with Usmash and an up angled Fsmash so our weight should help us live longer.

5) Nair
Weegee is one of the few characters that rivals Link in the sheer awesomeness of his Nair. I'm gonna start off by saying, don't try to challenge weegee's Nair. Although it is possible to trade Nair's with weegee, his has more knockback and could potentially kill you. Not to mention that the hitbox comes out on frame 3 (4 frames faster than ours) so you're not gonna be able to react to it even if you try. Nair is a great combo finisher and kill move for Luigi. It has vertical knockback so even if it doesn't kill you, it might just set you up for another air combo.

6) Recovery
Alright, enough bad news, lets talk about something we can actually do - gimping. Luigi's recovery was nerfed in Smash 4. His super jump punch doesn't go nearly as high as it did in Brawl. IMO this hurt Luigi's recover a lot because this means that weegee has to rely on his second jump for vertical recovery.

This is something that I'm sure all of the veteran Link's mains are very familiar with. Basically, weegee's recovery in Sm4sh is much like ours was in Brawl. Both the cyclone and (surprisingly) the green missile will rise higher if used immediately after a jump. Now technically you can get the full height out of the cyclone if you mash the B button fast enough, but anyone capable of moving their fingers that fast is gonna be spending more time with the ladies than playing smash, if you know what I mean. So anyway, what does this mean for us? Well, quite simply it means that if you steal weegee's midair jump then you will be making it 10x harder for him to recover. Its typically not very difficult to gimp weegee either because his recovery is fairly linear. Most weegee's will either start off by using a couple green missiles or charging a single missile and then jump to cyclone or SJP. by using an attack or projectile right when they use their jump you've essentially sealed their fate.

Alright, I'm done rambling for now. I'm not entirely sure why I spent the time writing this as most of you can even be bothered to read the board rules, let alone this (looks at ShinnyMetal). However, like my other characters, I love Luigi so I don't really mind. Hopefully some of this will help despite my lack of eloquence. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Alright, I'm done rambling for now. I'm not entirely sure why I spent the time writing this as most of you can even be bothered to read the board rules, let alone this (looks at ShinnyMetal).
HEY!!! I did now!...I didn't do anything bad either :(

I appreciate the extremely thorough wrote up and I can see how wrong I am with the nair thing. This is fantastic and it's going to the top!

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
I was just playing for awhile, fought plenty of Luigi's (one actually switched to Diddy, little punk), and not once did his fireball cancel my bomb throw. Perhaps I threw it early but either way, the bomb is a good tool vs Luigi. He tends to rush at you looking for a grab, so a pivot tilt can catch him pretty good. When he's above you (Mario too), he tends to do the tornado. I just block and counter with a grab or up tilt.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
and not once did his fireball cancel my bomb throw. Perhaps I threw it early
Perhaps the fireball was staled. Note that if Luigi's fireball is staled even by one stage (i.e. it has connected with a hurtbox one time and hasn't been refreshed by another move yet), our Bomb will absorb the fireball and then keep going. Note also that the fireball can be staled by hitting our Bomb as it too is a hurtbox.

Last edited:

Koby_T

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kobyteith
Note that if Luigi's fireball is staled even by one stage (i.e. it has connected with a hurtbox one time and hasn't been refreshed by another move yet), our Bomb will absorb the fireball and then keep going.
Just for clarification, does that mean that Luigi's fireball will only cancel our bomb when its fresh?

Koby_T

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kobyteith
If his fireball has to be fresh then I don't see an issue with patient zoning with a heavy emphasis on bombs. Luigi gets a free cancel every once in a while but, and correct if I'm assuming too much, I think it will be rare for his fireball to ever be fresh as he looks for opening. So for all intents and purposes, bomb trumps fireball.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
The way unstaling works is really weird too.

So like, let's say Luigi fires a fresh fireball and it hits either Link or one of Link's bombs. Then, Luigi does 8 U-tilts to Link and tries again. He fires a fireball ... and the Bomb will absorb it. Luigi needs to U-tilt Link 9 times before his fireball will blow the Bomb up again. The same goes for Pummels and tornadoes for example; in fact, the same applies to everything. Even combinations of moves don't help; like if Luigi does 4 U-tilts and 4 pummels, this isn't enough to refresh the fireball. If Luigi does one D-throw, 2 Fairs, a F-smash, a D-smash, an U-smash and two U-airs, this will still not be enough to unstale the fireball as it is only 8 hits.

But here's where **** gets really ****ing interesting.

If a move combos into another move, this only counts as 1 move toward the staling cue. So if you get caught in like 5 U-tilts that combo into each other, then congratulations Luigi, you're now only 8 more moves away from getting a fresh fireball.

But that's not all.

It doesn't matter how stale a move is, it will be completely refreshed with 9 moves.
So if Luigi's fireball is only one stage stale, well too bad you've gotta use 9 other moves to get fully fresh; and if Luigi's fireball is completely stale, then congratulations, you'll have a nice and fresh fireball after 9 moves.

Doesn't make sense?
Good.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
I've given this match-up a lot of thought and aside from what has already been said I really think bombslides is the key. Well bombsliding is the key in general against characters with emphasis on grabs.

With the forward bombslide you get extra distance and also have the bomb covering your approach. Depending on where you end up you'll be in range to space a Fair (and grab your bomb if shielded), jab, grab them (if they're shielding), Zair, boomerang etc not to mention have followups available if the bomb landed. Luigi isn't very fast as well which means you can also easily and safely disengage by running away and doing a pivot side-tilt or pivot short-hop back Zair to cover yourself. Assuming the Luigi isn't reckless you'll have time to draw another bomb and resume your offense.

I imagine reverse bombslides would also be very effective but I cannot do them even remotely consistently so it would be conjecture to speculate on the options. However in general if Link can play an efficient defensive keep away game with projectiles and zair the prospects of winning against grab reliant characters is favourable.

For now it seems like no one knows how to effectively play against Links that bombslide consistently. It would be to any Link's advantage to abuse that fact and learn not only all bombsliding variations but to do them reliably. It took me quite a long time to perfect the forward bombslide (and I even have a blister from it lmao) but it's allowed me to dominate and breeze through most of my matches.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Anyone brave enough to put a number on the matchup?
It's a pretty even matchup. I think link has the tools to keep luigi at bay but link is at a great weight class for luigi's combos.

I might put it as 60:40 towards link but it's honesly probably more like 55:45 just cause it's pretty tight

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I would actually say it's the opposite, that Link is at a disadvantage here. Could be a slight one or not but with how easy we are juggled and comboed by luigi I can't see Link having an advantage.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I played a bad Luigi in tournament and 2-stocked him game 2 -- that was satisfying. Lots of patient zoning. But in doubles we faced a far better Luigi and basically all I could think about was not getting grabbed. When one of us did we incurred huge damage. J.Miller's final game against Izaw is a good example of what will happen when a Luigi plays the match-up wisely (notice how Izaw won game 2).

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I started Link today and this matchup is bananas. You can't pierce Luigi's projectiles with bow or boomerang, and he can run in for a grab if you try to pull out a bomb on the ground. So I end up standing just outside of fireball range or just inside if I remember the Hylian shield, then jab him away when he rushes in for a grab like a dumbass. I don't want to hop away to get the bombs out because then I'm giving up ground and Luigi is free to jump and start mashing aerials because what does he care?

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I started Link today and this matchup is bananas. You can't pierce Luigi's projectiles with bow or boomerang, and he can run in for a grab if you try to pull out a bomb on the ground. So I end up standing just outside of fireball range or just inside if I remember the Hylian shield, then jab him away when he rushes in for a grab like a *******. I don't want to hop away to get the bombs out because then I'm giving up ground and Luigi is free to jump and start mashing aerials because what does he care?
Bombs throw right over his fireballs and a short hop makes your now and 'rang do so also. Links projectile game is still really strong against him. Staying outside the range is a great idea of course but don't discount your projectiles because a luigi not closing the gap is a luigi losing

DanesoulX

Smash Cadet
My thoughts exactly! i play extremely cautious when up against there kind.

SmashFactorCiti

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
no more heroes

link is so nerf it hurts

when they added the lag to the first jab the didn't took into account that this will make the character much slower overall

Last edited by a moderator:

epicnights

Smash Apprentice
NNID
epicnights
I figured I would bump this thread with the new buffs to Link. My best friend and most reliable training partner is a Luigi main, and with the recent buffs he says that the matchup is possibly leaning in Link's favor now. There used to be a 'dead zone' of sorts where Luigi could shield, sitting just out of grab range while being able to punish any non-retreating options with powershield into dash-grab or OoS Nair. With the grab range increase, however, this dead zone has been negated by Link's grab, forcing Luigi to stay right in mid-range where Link wants him. This new change, along with non-fresh fireballs getting stuffed out by bombs, has both my friend and I feeling like Luigi has to work a lot harder in this matchup than ever. Any opinions? Confirmation from other Link mains about this 'dead zone' that I experienced pre-patch would be helpful as well.

Top Bottom