• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Zelda (first replay) Opinions?

Hentai_Kittie

Smash Cadet
pretty good. Not that much worth complaining about. Pretty good comeback and the lightining kick at the end was very well done. You got some pretty good ledge play and good usage of N-airs. I also love the phantom thrown the wrong way, allways funny to see. xP

To nitpick however.
Your Mewtwo matchup awareness needs some work.
And it looks like you were just throwing alot of moves out there, some with no purpose at all and others were blind guesses like the teleport at the start (although it does catch alot of people honestly, so alls fair in love and fun)

I give it 4 meows out of 5! =^~^=

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
pretty good. Not that much worth complaining about. Pretty good comeback and the lightining kick at the end was very well done. You got some pretty good ledge play and good usage of N-airs. I also love the phantom thrown the wrong way, allways funny to see. xP

To nitpick however.
Your Mewtwo matchup awareness needs some work.
And it looks like you were just throwing alot of moves out there, some with no purpose at all and others were blind guesses like the teleport at the start (although it does catch alot of people honestly, so alls fair in love and fun)

I give it 4 meows out of 5! =^~^=

Thank you! I haven't really had a chance to show my Zelda to everyone here, and I just wanted some opinions, and yes, critique is welcome!

And yeah, especially since the update. There's really no reason for me to get destroy in the air like that with proper nair use.

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Thank you! I haven't really had a chance to show my Zelda to everyone here, and I just wanted some opinions, and yes, critique is welcome!

And yeah, especially since the update. There's really no reason for me to get destroy in the air like that with proper nair use.
Tbh, Zelda's nair isn't great and Mewtwo's got the disjoints to challenge our nair anyway. Zelda's air game is mediocre at best.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Tbh, Zelda's nair isn't great and Mewtwo's got the disjoints to challenge our nair anyway. Zelda's air game is mediocre at best.
But I feel Zelda's nair is quick and will win most aerial trades if timed correctly. If Zelda gets hit by a light hit in the air, you can normally get them back first instantly with nair, try to pull them down for FW combo etc

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
But I feel Zelda's nair is quick and will win most aerial trades if timed correctly. If Zelda gets hit by a light hit in the air, you can normally get them back first instantly with nair, try to pull them down for FW combo etc
Depends on how well your opponent is spacing their aerials since Zelda's got basically no disjoint on nair so she has trouble outspacing so many aerials and nair only does 1% per tick so it loses most trades. I agree with pulling the opponent down though since it's basically a guaranteed kill depending on percent and stage.

Darktundra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jokton
All the updates do is give characters windboxes so it came across my mind what if Nayru's had similar wind/hitbox to the phantom that activated while she is invincible?

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
  1. I like your spacing for punishes, made sure you were right there for punishes with out getting hit by the move
  2. Side B suicide is classic good to see the new kids aren't mocking the old trends
  3. farores to cover his landing good, random farores at start bad
  4. you should definitely try to catch on what get up option you opponent likes, he did neutral get up every time which you can beat out with ledge trumps
  5. a thirsty opponent like that will be easily punished by nayru's should you choose to use it (up to you, it's only an 11% punish at best), cause he almost always tilted if you were in range
  6. I hate Usmash on zelda, that's just me
This wouldn't need it's own thread. You should just post it in the Video Thread or show it to the Zelda Social instead.
you should rename the video thread, it's really not obvious what it is for
Zelda mediocre air game is because she has three aerials she can't use in neutral and one that is ill advised, not because nair isn't pulling the whole thing hard enough, a lot of character would kill for a combo starter like Zelda's

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Zelda mediocre air game is because she has three aerials she can't use in neutral and one that is ill advised, not because nair isn't pulling the whole thing hard enough, a lot of character would kill for a combo starter like Zelda's
I'm aware that she has 3 aerials that are risky and easy to punish. That's indeed why her aerial game is bad. I didn't say that wasn't the case.

However, the thing about her aerial game is that nair kinda does have to carry all the weight and it can't. It's a risky combo starter because it doesn't have the disjoints to challenge most of the casts' aerial games meaning you can't just expect to land it and pull an opponent down like a reliable combo starter should do. Furthermore, it's terribly risky against a grounded opponent because it's so easy to punish. Take Sheik's fair for instance. If it whiffs against an opponent in the air, Sheik can use another one almost instantly and can FF to regain jumps if she's lost them then followup with another fair because it has hardly any landing lag. Obviously, very few characters have that kind of combo starter, but that's the best example of how a combo starter has to be both safe and lenient on hit and on whiff.

Zelda's nair can start combos, yes, but it's not a reliable combo starter like dtilt, jab, and dthrow are just because it's so much riskier than those moves when using it specifically to start combos.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have some new videos I'm going to upload here soon, once I find the damned gamepad. >_>

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
I'm aware that she has 3 aerials that are risky and easy to punish. That's indeed why her aerial game is bad. I didn't say that wasn't the case.

However, the thing about her aerial game is that nair kinda does have to carry all the weight and it can't. It's a risky combo starter because it doesn't have the disjoints to challenge most of the casts' aerial games meaning you can't just expect to land it and pull an opponent down like a reliable combo starter should do. Furthermore, it's terribly risky against a grounded opponent because it's so easy to punish. Take Sheik's fair for instance. If it whiffs against an opponent in the air, Sheik can use another one almost instantly and can FF to regain jumps if she's lost them then followup with another fair because it has hardly any landing lag. Obviously, very few characters have that kind of combo starter, but that's the best example of how a combo starter has to be both safe and lenient on hit and on whiff.

Zelda's nair can start combos, yes, but it's not a reliable combo starter like dtilt, jab, and dthrow are just because it's so much riskier than those moves when using it specifically to start combos.
I would like to add, that while i agree that Zelda air game is a bit lack luster, her off stage air game is mint IMO. While opponents are trying to recover, you can catch them of guard starting with the Side B (?Djins Fire?) then nair into dair. And with the teleport back as long as your angle is right, it's hard for them to reverse gimp you.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I would like to add, that while i agree that Zelda air game is a bit lack luster, her off stage air game is mint IMO. While opponents are trying to recover, you can catch them of guard starting with the Side B (?Djins Fire?) then nair into dair. And with the teleport back as long as your angle is right, it's hard for them to reverse gimp you.
you forgot to mention Light kick set ups :denzel:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
She has one of the best offstage presences in the game I agree. That's mainly due to her 2 most usable aerials, nair and dair. The other 3 don't do anything in either situation save as punishes and guaranteed followups. They can't be used as spacing tools or approach tools or offstage tools.

Basic Zelda edgeguarding meta: Phantom as the opponent is falling to force them low>Din's Fire to force and airdodge to limit their recovery angle (or kill them depending on the character)>dair or nair if the opponent has no horizontal recovery. Nayru's can cover the ledge for characters that are difficult to challenge offstage but always go for the ledge.

Silverwind 2020

Smash Cadet
Not bad, but I think you can do much better. You seemed to be trying to play Zelda more like a speed character. Just keep in mind, she's in a dress. :) Just remember to take advantage of her ranged attacks whenever possible, and keep move lag in your mind at all times. The wrong way guardian was just bad luck, and it happens sometimes. Just stay calm when it does. Another thing. The elevator. If you're not quite comfortable using it yet, just don't use it. It's not a big deal. It's much better to assure yourself a weak hit, than risk missing a strong one. Especially when it puts you in free fall.

Top Bottom