• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help understanding certain mechanics and reading opponents

TheMorninSun

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMorninSun
3DS FC
1950-9735-8391
Heyo fello Sm4shers, how's it going? I hope well, since I'm definitely not doing ok.

So...I'm a Luigi main. Before you bash me, I'm just gonna say it. Yes, Luigi is ridiculously easy to learn and use, yes he is degenerate, yes he is braindead. Judge me how you want to, that's not what I'm writing this to discuss.

I'd say a big, probably the biggest flaw I have in Smash is my predictability. All I do i shoot fireballs, try to grab. If that fails, my one mix up is to jump and N-air. Any and all suggestions about how to mix things up would be greatly appreciated.

The next big flaw of mine is reading my opponent. A great example would be when my opponent is on the edge. I just can't properly predict what they're going to do, and if I do call their next move, I can't punish effectively. Any help on reading?

For the smaller problems, I have a lot of trouble landing, getting out of juggles and combos, recovering, airdodging at the right time... When my opponent is really good I panic internally, even if I don't know it. When the game isn't going at my pace, a comfortable pace for me that is, I lose. Any help on these smaller problems maybe?

P.S: This is kind of a pet peeve rather than a problem. I really get annoyed when people taunt. It's okay to play mind games and such during the match, but after the game or a stock is done, do people really lack the sportsmanship to just do some aerials while they wait? Or better yet, do nothing?

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
P.S: This is kind of a pet peeve rather than a problem. I really get annoyed when people taunt. It's okay to play mind games and such during the match, but after the game or a stock is done, do people really lack the sportsmanship to just do some aerials while they wait? Or better yet, do nothing?
Unless you have specifically mentioned to them that you have an issue with this, you can't really fault them for doing standard stuff. Taunting/doing something silly/doing tech to show off is the common thing to do after a stock is ended. It's not a lack in sportsmanship, there's no reason they should know that taunts piss you off.

Besides, if it does upset you, that's just more of the mindgames.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Do you play with anyone in your local scene? Most of your problems can only be solved by playing a strong player regularly and reviewing your matches and watching what the top players do in certain situations. In other words, getting bodied to learn the game and watching.
Jitters will probably always be with you, but that is normal. Even friendlies can be a bit intense when you know your opponent is strong.

Another question, how long have you been playing? Don't expect everything to come to you in a day No matter what it is, you have to work at it to be strong. Take your time.

Aquatics

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aquapk
Heyo fello Sm4shers, how's it going? I hope well, since I'm definitely not doing ok.

So...I'm a Luigi main. Before you bash me, I'm just gonna say it. Yes, Luigi is ridiculously easy to learn and use, yes he is degenerate, yes he is braindead. Judge me how you want to, that's not what I'm writing this to discuss.

I'd say a big, probably the biggest flaw I have in Smash is my predictability. All I do i shoot fireballs, try to grab. If that fails, my one mix up is to jump and N-air. Any and all suggestions about how to mix things up would be greatly appreciated.

The next big flaw of mine is reading my opponent. A great example would be when my opponent is on the edge. I just can't properly predict what they're going to do, and if I do call their next move, I can't punish effectively. Any help on reading?

For the smaller problems, I have a lot of trouble landing, getting out of juggles and combos, recovering, airdodging at the right time... When my opponent is really good I panic internally, even if I don't know it. When the game isn't going at my pace, a comfortable pace for me that is, I lose. Any help on these smaller problems maybe?

ummmmmm, he really isnt braindead now, if you cant win matches with post patch luigi you're a fruad lol. He was braindead before but you have to earn your wins, and be creative with combos out of d-throw. perfect shield, perfect pivot into moves. Just do creative stuff with the character because boss showed that you can. Just dont approach alot, and make it not predictable.

Edit: if theyre holding the edge or recovering, throw a fireball and or ledge trump. do a falling back air off stage and hope they dont tech, if they do punish it. Fair the edge and throw a fireball to cover the roll and get up option. be smart, just take your time. dont rush everything

Last edited:

TheMorninSun

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMorninSun
3DS FC
1950-9735-8391
Do you play with anyone in your local scene? Most of your problems can only be solved by playing a strong player regularly and reviewing your matches and watching what the top players do in certain situations. In other words, getting bodied to learn the game and watching.
Jitters will probably always be with you, but that is normal. Even friendlies can be a bit intense when you know your opponent is strong.

Another question, how long have you been playing? Don't expect everything to come to you in a day No matter what it is, you have to work at it to be strong. Take your time.
I've been playing for half a year now. I don't play locally, just FG. I watch videos of competitive smash and such, especially Zero's videos. He's my favorite competitve player to watch.

ummmmmm, he really isnt braindead now, if you cant win matches with post patch luigi you're a fruad lol. He was braindead before but you have to earn your wins, and be creative with combos out of d-throw. perfect shield, perfect pivot into moves. Just do creative stuff with the character because boss showed that you can. Just dont approach alot, and make it not predictable.

Edit: if theyre holding the edge or recovering, throw a fireball and or ledge trump. do a falling back air off stage and hope they dont tech, if they do punish it. Fair the edge and throw a fireball to cover the roll and get up option. be smart, just take your time. dont rush everything

I know Luigi isn't braindead anymore, I just said that because I knew someone would comment saying he still is. Anyway, I hate that his fireballs are really laggy. Whenever I try to approach with it, my opponent shields it, then punishes while I'm still stuck in the move frame. I never ledge trump because Luigi is preeeeetty bad off stage. One missed input and you could SD, or end up getting ledge guarded if you can't airdodge properly.

On a different note though, I got my first successful read just a few moments ago. My opponent was a Toon Link, we were both on the end of the stage right next to the edge, I don't know what came over me but my fingers just moved on their own and I dashed forward a little and completely read his roll with an Up-Smash. I was so shocked to even be proud of myself or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
First, go to training mode and just beat up on a dummy to get accustomed to his entire moveset. Like, use each move and see what it does.
For predicting, just watch your opponent's character. Literally. Don't look at your own. Try to play off his mistakes and make him look dumb. and lastly, this. That will give you at least a gameplan to think about

Bill cipher3

Smash Cadet
On airdodge if you're fighting a good player and you're in a juggle please don't air dodge as soon as they come up to "upair"
because when you airdodge they'll wait it out then upair again. I know this becaue Every Time in Fg I get to do it

Last edited:

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve

Try not to rush in and grab all the time. Like you said it's way to predictable. If the opponents rushing you you can use Luigi's side tilts to keep them away. They have surprisingly good range. If you fudge the grab you should put your shield up and/or roll away. Alternatively a Jab Combo will help you prevent your opponent gaining momentum.

If you don't think you can punish off the edge, do yourself a favour and don't bother. I can recall plenty of matches where i've lost from completely fudging an edge guard. One thing you can do though if you notice your opponent has a habit of jumping from the ledge grab is to do an u-air. It's a very easy hit.

If you're having trouble recovering, some general points include saving your double jump. This is pretty important as Luigi has a very floaty jump that can make a lot of difference if used correctly. You can use side-b to recover as well, but be warned this can be gimped by projectiles/ read for some rather easy meteor smashes.

As for your PS, you should Taunt them back!

Top Bottom