• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some tips on Combos and MU's for Mario.

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929
So I've picked Smash up again and am going to focus back on Mario after taking a long break. But there are some things I need to get together before I do that.

I need current combo videos of Mario so I can know what still works for him and what doesn't. I'm also looking for MU knowladge of specific characters. I'll list them below.

Characters I struggle against: :ultpalutena::ultpikachu::ultyoshi::ultwolf::ultjoker: (no specific order)

Mostly :ultyoshi:. I have no idea how to get in on this guy and he's always just out of my reach. I know you're not really supposed to combo him because he has a lot of get out of combo for free moves and abilities but its still pretty hard to fight someone so floaty that kills you at like 70%.

If you have general tips about any of the toher MU's basically it boils down to I can't really touch them and they are always on the move.

I'm also looking for some recent combo videos or videos on these MU's

Matt 2.0

Smash Rookie
Hello,

Those characters all have good mobility but none have mobility that is much better than Mario’s. You should be moving super evasively in the matchups too and Mario has tools like fireball and FLUDD that can be non-committal ways to restrict the opponent’s space to move.

Yoshi struggles against fireball because he can’t short hop over it (his short hop is one of the lowest in the game). He will be forced to shield, full hop, or dash back, and you can move up accordingly. Comboing Yoshi can be hard but keep in mind his weaknesses: he has a laggy grab with low reward and he can struggle to land. Also be very careful on his shield.

Palutena can be hard to get in on due to big hitboxes and invincible dash attack. Play very patient and careful in this matchup, use FLUDD to buy space and don’t jump carelessly. Palutena doesn’t have glaring weaknesses but she is tall, relatively light and has no real cheese, so you will just have to outplay her.

Pikachu is a super good character with virtually all strengths and no weaknesses. That being said, Mario has more tools than most for dealing with him. Fireball will be a massive help for buying time and space. Again just play very carefully and do not panic in disadvantage.

Wolf has superior hitboxes to Mario so don’t contest him air-to-air. Watch out for Wolf’s laser as you can’t short hop over it but I believe you can duck under it if you time it correctly. Wolf doesn’t have the best out of shield options and he is a good combo size and weight so once you get in make sure you put the pressure on and make your openings count.

Joker is like Pikachu in that he has no weaknesses and you’ll have to use your tools the best you can to contest him. Don’t panic in disadvantage especially when Arsene is out because you will die very very easily.

There are Mario combo videos on YouTube. I also recommend watching vods from top players like Dark Wizzy, Zenyou, and Prodigy, especially for the matchups you want to learn.

Hope this helped.

Matt 2.0

Smash Rookie
Also for all these matchups be very mindful of how much space on the stage you have to move in. Pikachu for example is very good at taking space and cornering opponents, and Pikachu is very dangerous if you’re in the corner or offstage. You should think about when the best times are to move up or stand your ground instead of moving back; in a sense, against Pikachu and in general you have to play careful but you can’t play scared.

Top Bottom