• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Neutral air changes; combos, consistency, neutral

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
It is fan-tucking-fastic that neutral air is now a lot more like the Brawl version.

For me, it feels like the stun is a lot stronger and the looping hits are slightly safer on shield, as well as in other situations like FFing nair on stage for a d-tilt grab and FFing nair offstage to exacerbate a recovery.

And while I haven't felt any notable difference in nair's combo potential, I'm kinda worried that I might be overlooking something. If you've found any other uses/changes because of the buffed nair, please post below!

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
uhh it's just a 4% damage change. it's still a far cry from brawl's iteration.
Shield stun because of the 2% loop damage tho.

And it's only 5% off Brawl nair, which rarely connected all of its hits anyway.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Dude the extra 1% damage on the looping hits is amazing. In situations where a FF nair wouldn't follow up into anything, it now does, due to the increased hitstun. FF nair to d-tilt is super solid now, which in turn makes d-tilt to grab easier to do from the air. If they'd decreased the hitlag on the looping hits and made it auto-cancel sooner (around frame 34-35 would be good) it would be almost identical to Brawl nair, which was godly, imo.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Dude the extra 1% damage on the looping hits is amazing. In situations where a FF nair wouldn't follow up into anything, it now does, due to the increased hitstun. FF nair to d-tilt is super solid now, which in turn makes d-tilt to grab easier to do from the air. If they'd decreased the hitlag on the looping hits and made it auto-cancel sooner (around frame 34-35 would be good) it would be almost identical to Brawl nair, which was godly, imo.
I am so happy with this patch.
Way more to work with, especially with fairs less landing lag.

Have you tested shield stun with nair? I wonder if there's enough to throw out d-tilt or jab.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
I am so happy with this patch.
Way more to work with, especially with fairs less landing lag.

Have you tested shield stun with nair? I wonder if there's enough to throw out d-tilt or jab.
I did this weird approach with Lucas against a Zelda where I ran, pivoted, jumped, naired, fast-fell, and landed behind my opponent's shield and was able to hit her with down tilt before her up b OoS was able to hit me. I don't know how reliable that is, but it looks like it could have some merit. It was by complete accident, btw, as I was trying to do a RAR bair across her shield, but my RAR skill is horrible.

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Right now, as I'm comparing them, I'm actually finding it a bit harder to connect nair in this patch. Some of the looping hits knock the opponent too far away to connect the rest of the hits, and the added stun frames make the move a lot harder to string out of a down throw at low percents. Still, early days, I shall see what this brings.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Right now, as I'm comparing them, I'm actually finding it a bit harder to connect nair in this patch. Some of the looping hits knock the opponent too far away to connect the rest of the hits, and the added stun frames make the move a lot harder to string out of a down throw at low percents. Still, early days, I shall see what this brings.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one having more difficulty stringing consecutive Nairs together. :/

1Twinmuduck

Smash Rookie
Anybody else getting free 50% combos against heavys like dk ddd and falcon fall speed characters? I seems to be getting nair nair nair and either up air or fair starting at around 5-15%. I can't tell if there's a way for them to get out of it or not, the only times people get out of it are when I mess up from what I've seen.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
I can confirm that it's now harder to string nairs because of the damage buff, but there's this monumental buff that Lucas succeeds off of; a grounded nair true combos into d-tilt, jab and up-tilt. If you combo with d-tilt, that's a free grab at mid-high percents.

That's an amazingly versatile setup that never stops comboing. Nair also fully locks shields in stun now, so there's more opportunity to escape being shield grabbed.

Top Bottom