• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New game mechanic info.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I wasn't actually going to post this as I saw no point, but tedeth and e_alert convinced me to post it just for the sake of it. So you can thank/blame them.

A while ago I was bored and went into the Ganon boards to figure something out for them, as you do. Here's a link to the thread, there's a video of one of the things I'm talking about in there, so for clarity's sake, you may as well follow the link.

Anyway, if you saw the video, you'll notice that when Ganon latches on to Fox with his Up-B, he gets temporarily teleported to the other side and then the move continues as normal. If you read my post a few posts down in the thread, you'll know that this is because Fox turns around in his shine at the exact moment that he gets 'latched on to'.

Just recently this got me thinking, wouldn't it be cool if this worked for all moves like this including normal grabs. But if it works like that, then this would mean you could sit near the edge and when somone tries to grab you, you get in your shine and start hitting left and right repeatedly as fast as you can (shine dancing?) and then when they grab you, they'll teleport to the other side and you'll get grab released! Fox and Wolf will be ungrabable! Right? No. Unfortunately, while it did work in a way, it didn't work the way I'd expected.

The character doing the grabbing is totally unaffected, no teleporting to the other side, no forced grab release on the edge. Instead, Fox and Wolf just turn around, and are held in the grab backwards... as in both characters are facing the same way while Fox/Wolf are being held in the grab. It looks quite strange, especially with Wolf because he stands inside the other character much further. Also, when Fox/Wolf get grab released, they go the opposite way from normal. So if you get ground released, you end up behind the grabber (1 frame advantage! lol). But wait, couldn't this be even better than I had hoped for? Wouldn't this still stuff up chain grabs because you'd get thrown the opposite way and now it can be used anywhere on stage? No. For some reason, maybe the game hates me, when you get thrown, it completely nulifies any reversal (Fox/Wolf instantly turn back around the correct way and get thrown as normal), the throw throws as normal and is completely unaffected just like the grabber.

So I was this close to solving our chain grabbing problems. All we have now is a cheap party trick. And the news gets a bit worse. While 'shine dancing' definitely ups the chances of this happening, it isn't consistent enough to be relied upon, so don't start shine dancing at low percents so you can get grab released behind your opponent. Which means we are really just left with new game mechanic info.

The only time the opponent gets 'teleported' to the other side is if the grabbing attack keeps them off the ground, such as Ganon/Falcon's Up-B and Diddy's side-B. All other grab-like attacks that keep the opponents feet on the ground will just have Fox/Wolf being held backwards.

Kuares

Pizza
I'll mess around with it in the morning. Sounds somewhat promising, maybe, alittle. Maybe it can be used for somthing else.

Top Bottom