• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to playing our boy Roy, A few questions

HughMan-Chu

Smash Rookie
Should I be using his side - b for more than horizontal recovery?

Whats the deal with his down smash? does the fire trail do damage or just the sword?

Who are his worst match ups? and is sheik a good secondary for him?

Is going for the d-air spike even worth it considering how difficult and impractical it is with Roy

Thanks!

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon

Whats the deal with his down smash? does the fire trail do damage or just the sword?

Is going for the d-air spike even worth it considering how difficult and impractical it is with Roy

Thanks!
Dair spike isn't that impractical once you've learned where it is, that's like saying Jigglypuff's rest is impractical.

His worst matchups in my opinion are DK and Samus, although I could be wrong on the Samus thing.
There are more annoying matchups to deal with, but they aren't bad by any means, such as falco or mario (just in general the characters who are happy to sit back and spam projectiles while you cover field.)

Take a look into debug mode for the downsmash hitbox if you're curious about it. It's very fast and a pretty strong kill option against floatier characters like Zelda.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630

Thanks!
  • Side-b for a little bit of extra horizontal momentum stall is something you really want to save and value. keep in mind that with each swing you get less and ness effectiveness and you will fall further down. In most every case you only want to throw out one side-b or maybe a second one. When you get knocked off the edge the only things that are going to save you are: good survival DI, that one side-b slash, and a well angled upB (with possible mix up)

• His downsmash is one of his fastest moves on startup, but it isnt very safe as it has a long cooldown and is punishable afterwards. the firetrail basically does damage/KB as well as the sword, but thats only because it goes so fast that it doesnt really make a difference. Technically the sword is the hitbox if you look in debug (similar to how link's upB spin is fast enough so that no matter what you're gonna get hit by it anyway if you're close). Downsmash i use less than his other smashes personally. It can be good as a "gtfo me" move on occasion and can be a viable kill option on floaties as well.

• Due to his his kit and the fact that he's strictly based off spacing/tech chasing/zoning fundamentals he can win almost any MU (see sethlon as an example). For the majority of us though, people who have projectiles, good punish combos, or those who have really good crouch cancel tend to give us a lot of trouble. To name some MUs that a lot of Roy's dislike playing: sheik, DK, link, mario, samus, falco, Ivysaur, Charizard.

• Sheik would definitely be a viable secondary against a lot of characters because its a very different character to play against mentally, has needle interrupt, strong grab/punish game, can do a bit better against some of those MUs i named, and can gimp really well (Roy really lacks any true gimp potential in comparison).

• Dair spike is viable but i find it is unnecessary for the most part, especially for someone just getting into Roy. A lot of the times you'll be able to get Dair spike, you'll just as easily get a Bair finisher or maybe a flareblade (nB). With time i dont find it too risky, you just have to know the limitations of it and how reliably you can pull it off.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
dtilt combos well into dair spike, although it still takes some practice with the timing and you have to be aware of your opponents percent. fair can combo into it with survival DI, although its far more difficult, although still quite viable in the hands of a skilled player.

worst MUs imo are DK, DDD, and charizard for their range, heavy weight/survivability, and CC effectiveness.

use side b wisely during recovery, because it grants you a bit of distance on the first usage, but minimal after, and there may be sometimes when you want to mix it up and not stall your recovery.

id say shiek is a great secondary for roy, considering you can use zelda as well, and they have differenty styles of play. shiek is all about quick, rapid moves and has a great projectile to compliment her, while roy thrives off of careful spacing and beating you with disjoint and coverage. shiek can also cover matches where edeguarding is a little more important, whereas roys offstage edge guarding game isnt as solid.

Toxiphobe

Smash Cadet
Whenever I use him, I tend to play aggressively and just come at them. Heavy characters are the easiest for me because I use spacing at times and they are easier to combo.

Use his side b to set up combos and practice juggles with his up grab.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Dair spike isn't that impractical once you've learned where it is, that's like saying Jigglypuff's rest is impractical.

His worst matchups in my opinion are DK and Samus, although I could be wrong on the Samus thing.
There are more annoying matchups to deal with, but they aren't bad by any means, such as falco or mario (just in general the characters who are happy to sit back and spam projectiles while you cover field.)

Take a look into debug mode for the downsmash hitbox if you're curious about it. It's very fast and a pretty strong kill option against floatier characters like Zelda.
As much as I love his new-ish "Dair", it really isn't that necessary IMO, but still very helpful (when you can make it work). It's more a move that gets hype going, and in my general experience is just hard to do off stage. And, to be honest I felt like it had a bit more use when it was a meteor, at least that could kill off the top. It's really a move that gives you an opportunity to keep your opponent pinned down, so it has some relative use, but considering the vast amount of movement options in this game: keeping your opponent pinned down is still pretty tough to do, even with the new dair on Roy.
It's also fair to point out the dair has more uses than just pinning down your opponent.
And speaking of matchups, like I said before in the MU thread, Jiggly seems to be pretty rough on Roy, since she can juggle him for days, and the rests can be especially brutal on Roy. Especially if they can pull off zero to death rests.

Last edited:
Top Bottom