• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Odd Double Jump Mechanic

Yikarur

Smash Master
I was working with DRing because I'm finally able to do it :p
So I tested arround with Wavelanding,Super jump and DRing,DTing and many more.
And one strange thing attract my attention.

Not many Yoshis Player now about a thing I call "Autocancel Factor" so when we are trying to DR-Wavelanding we have to use our bair because the first move of the bair goes down.

Yoshis bair autocancels when Yoshi hit the ground before the first Hitbox comes out.
Yoshis bair goes down first so his hurtbox goes down too which allows Yoshi an earlier landing.
This is what makes DRWavelanding possible.

So my problem is now the following.
If you Doublejump + Back + Attack, Yoshi is going to use Bair because while the turnarround of Yoshi if you hit Attack while holding back you are doing Bair.
BUT
(this is a theorie)
if you are in a certain height and press doublejump + Back + Attack Yoshi does not cancel the turnarround with bair and he doesn't make anything while turnarrounding and when the turnarround is finished he buffers fair instead of canceling the turnarround into a bair.
This destroys the Waveland and goes into a rising fair.

I don't know why it is so, that's the reason I post it here

I hope you get me, its probably hard to understand what I mean x_x

btw: I tested this with frame by frame hack.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Hm, that was a bit confusing. Could you possibly get a vid? Or maybe someone more experienced with DR could explain it to me, since I'm not too savvy with it yet. =/

It looks to me like using a Bair for DR can sometimes do a turn around Fair which ruins it. Or something. ._.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
It has nothing to do with height, it's speed.

If you DJ and are inputting [back], then Yoshi will turn around for his jump, like a flying character. You have to input the bair (hit A) before he turns around. It's that simple.

Indeed, the advantage you have is that, unlike a flying character, you can be holding [back] at the time you hit jump, and still not turn around. Flying characters have to jump with [neutral] and then put their bairs in, if they don't want to turn around.

Also possible, your controller is broken. :ohwell: Mine was delaying and deleting smash inputs because the control stick contacts finally went. Got a new one; *****.

Now as for what the **** you actually mean, are you saying "This could happen", "This is happening to me" or "Let's see if we can make this happen" ?
Very scattered post. Is English your first language?

EDIT: Ah, Germany. Okay.

Yikarur

Smash Master
my controller is NOT broken.
I think you didn't understand me
My controller can't be broken because I test it with "frame by frame hack".

While turnarrounding there are 2 things which can happen.
1. While Yoshi is turnarrounding (turnarround animation) you can input back + Attack and he cancels the turnarround with bair.
2. While Yoshi is turnarrounding (turnarround animation) you can input back + Attack and Yoshi does not cancel his Turnarround animation and buffer a Rising Fair instead.

This happened in different situations with the same button inputs (frame by frame hack)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Ah, Yika, PK-Ow is right. Yoshi does turn around during his DJ, and depending on WHEN you input the attack, you'll either get a bair or a fair out of it. What you've said describes that almost EXACTLY.

Also, G&W on the Yoshi boards? MADNESS!

Yikarur

Smash Master
listen to me.

I've done it with frame by frame hack.
The Inputs are absolutly identical but the effect changed!

Battlefield Fullhop in direction of the right plattform.
When Yoshi is a bit above the plattform and you input back + Jump and in the next frame back + Aerial Yoshi turnarrounds (about 7 Frames) and after the turnarround he does fair.
normally Yoshi cancels the turnarround and does bair.
He only does the fair when I'm in a certain heigh above the ground!

and I don't know why >_<

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Hmmm, this is curious indeed.

I might have an idea, but I need to speak with someone first before I make any guesses.

bigman40

Smash Master
Scatz to the rescue if I understand it. If you're wondering about the DR waveland after you input a SHed Bair, then it matters when and what spot you are in to cancel it properly. You input a Jump + A to early, and it'll give a rising Fair, and we know what happens when you do it right. HOWEVER, there's a certain spot (frame spot maybe? Idk I never checked it a lot) where Yoshi will DJ REGARDLESS of whether you are close enough to technically DR waveland. This is why the psuedo infinite jumping technique was founded for nearly every character. It's a error (I guess) in the system that will automatically give your DJ back to you, and if you technically hit that same spot everytime, you'll automatically regain your DJ and use it at that second (I have a vid of me doing the infinite jump). The aerials was one of the main assets that helped in getting the infinite jump much more possible. Oh, I forgot to mention that this applies the Superjump too. You input a DJ + airdodge at the right spot, which is the spot for infinite jumping and possibly what Yikarur is getting, you'd be able to use your DJ again as if your rising AD was just a single normal jump. That might be what Yikarur is coming across.

It's something that I attempted to abuse, but it's not abuse-able for long at all since Yoshi's DJ armor isn't strong enough to take better hits now. It might be interesting if you use it for the sole intention of mixing-up or so, but idk what to tell you in regards of it's usefulness.

Yikarur

Smash Master
So that "Frame Spot" is the reason why our turnarround Animation of our Double jump isn't cancelled when I input back + air? Mysterious .__.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I tested some frame data.

Jump Start up: 6
leaves Ground: 7
ShortHop-AirTime without Fast Fall: 45 Frames

Air Time / Double Jump / Back + Attack

44 / 45 / 46-51(Turnarround) -> Turnarround Rising Fair (52)
43 / 44 / 45 -> Bair Waveland
42 / 43 / 44 -> Bair Waveland
41 / 42 / 43 -> Rising Bair

Who doesn't know what I mean with this data, this means we have a visual 2 Frame Window for the DR-Waveland to work :p

because of that weird mechanic, if we press double jump + bair at the nearest point (one frame above the ground) we do a full double jump turnarround which ends in a rising fair.

**** I hate this game =D

Top Bottom