• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Odds and Ends: Bowser Education

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Episode 1: Bowser Begins

Episode 2: Koopa Boot Kamp Pt. 1

I've been wanting for a long time to make a video series about Project M, both for beginners and Bowser enthusiasts. My goal is to teach about PM fundamentals, how to learn, as well as cool Bowser advanced techniques and strategies. If it's done right, by the end of the series I'd like to have provided the beginner PM player everything (s)he needs to know in order to learn to play PM at an expert level.

Shoutouts to Sony Vegas and my crappy laptop for successfully rendering Episode 2 on the 7th try.

I'm totally new at making any sort of video (and recording myself in general), and am open to any and all feedback. I'd like the rest of the series to be as high quality and informative as possible, while also keeping production time in mind - holy crap, this stuff takes a long time. I'm looking for a new mic, but don't know what's good within my price range (sub- $50).

If there's any questions, or you'd like me to expand upon stuff mentioned in the video, please ask here or on the video. Also open to requests for content for future videos.

There is a bit of overlap with a previously uploaded video of mine; I figured it would probably be a good idea to reboot the series entirely for 2 reasons. First, the new patch -- and second, the original format completely sucked for conveying large amounts of information. You have a limited amount of time on your hands, as do I. Me talking into a microphone may not be super elegant, but it lets me supply more info than simple slideshows.

Thanks for watching!

Last edited:

Nomzr

Smash Apprentice
I have to say I really enjoyed the videos, but I feel like the text on the screen, the background gameplay, and your voice sort of overlap. I can only process one at a time and I felt myself focusing on one and missing out on the other. If you could possibly explain the thing you're trying to present first, then show it in the game next that would help get your point across better.

Other than that, perfect. I play Bowser quite a lot, he's definitely in my top 3 right next to Ivy and Falcon, and watching the videos helped me understand why certain things weren't working against my foes. I'm wondering if you've seen Can-D play? He is phenomenal with Bowser, I noticed you didn't mention him. Regarding this, you mentioned other top players, do you have any videos that specifically demonstrate what you were talking about when referring to those players?

Lastly, I'm still struggling when it comes to B-Reversing, you said it was possible with Bowser's Side-Special, but I remember this not being the case? Is this what you demonstrated on Fountain of Dreams? I can't quite find the spot in the video again.

There was something else.... But I can't quite remember, I literally just finished watching the videos and I'm off to practice.

EDIT: OF COURSE! I remembered as I failed miserably at it, just how exactly are you supposed to approach the edge with Whirling Fortress from the stage? As in, what specific inputs and positioning are required?

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

I have to say I really enjoyed the videos, but I feel like the text on the screen, the background gameplay, and your voice sort of overlap. I can only process one at a time and I felt myself focusing on one and missing out on the other. If you could possibly explain the thing you're trying to present first, then show it in the game next that would help get your point across better.
I haven't started video 3 yet, so I'll definitely keep that in mind when making it.

Other than that, perfect. I play Bowser quite a lot, he's definitely in my top 3 right next to Ivy and Falcon, and watching the videos helped me understand why certain things weren't working against my foes. I'm wondering if you've seen Can-D play? He is phenomenal with Bowser, I noticed you didn't mention him.
Thanks! Re: Can~D, I've seen his play, and he's alright - and definitely getting better. I don't think he's anywhere near as good as JaimeHR, myself, or possibly even Calm Animal or Deff, but he'll probably get there.
Regarding this, you mentioned other top players, do you have any videos that specifically demonstrate what you were talking about when referring to those players?
Actually, it was really dumb of me to bring up Nick Riddle and Kirk instead of the guys listed above (and Can~D) because they haven't played 3.5 to my knowledge. Regardless, with the material I'll be presenting, eventually the many reasons that bowser players are bad will become quite clear.

Lastly, I'm still struggling when it comes to B-Reversing, you said it was possible with Bowser's Side-Special, but I remember this not being the case? Is this what you demonstrated on Fountain of Dreams? I can't quite find the spot in the video again.
I demonstrated on Battlefield. Here: http://youtu.be/nyoDeI0m9vY?t=8m3s

Frost | Odds

Re: Can~D; it's tough to say, particularly because you didn't link the precise videos to which you refer. In any case, I've coached Calm Animal some, and I know he's taken games off of Oracle, Sethlon, and other top players. Can~D has beaten Jolteon, but that was a terrible set full of chokes.

They're both good players, but both actually suffer from a very similar set of weaknesses: lack of movement tech, consistent use of overcommitted options (like smashes), etc -- CA just does the latter far less from what I've seen.

I could also be wrong.

Re: videos

Crap. There used to be on my twitch channel ( http://www.twitch.tv/odds_ ) but I forgot to upload to youtube. Alberta also really sucks for PM, and some of our top players are melee elitist douchebags, one of whom refuses to stream PM.

I'm away from calgary this weekend, but will endeavor to stream some quickly after getting back.

Last edited:

Nomzr

Smash Apprentice
I watched every video of the two in that thread :p. But I see what you're talking about. Thanks again.

Top Bottom