• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

only bad character?

unlistedNiL

Smash Cadet
So i'm not usually one to care about Tiers and stuff, and I know in melee they were top tier, but why are they complete trash now? literally bottom of the barrel- po-dunk ghetto tier. I think I may know why.

tl:dr Half the time the ice climbers recover nana dies... i think this is a major issue and should be fixed. their entire recovery needs to be taken back to the drawing board imo because i think this is what is mostly killing them.

I'm not very good ice climbers player but I decided to check the tiers out one day after consistently being able to 4 stock them and nobody else (and can now 4 stock other characters/9's). My brother has a 6 year old son that doesn't know how to recover... my brother, a well versed gamer and solid smash player... lost playing as the ice climbers to a 6 year old that doesn't even know how to up B.... i think this puts it into perspective. Anyway:

tl:dr
ice climbers need a better recovery cuz nana always dies.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
So i'm not usually one to care about Tiers and stuff, and I know in melee they were top tier, but why are they complete trash now? literally bottom of the barrel- po-dunk ghetto tier. I think I may know why.

tl:dr Half the time the ice climbers recover nana dies... i think this is a major issue and should be fixed. their entire recovery needs to be taken back to the drawing board imo because i think this is what is mostly killing them.

I'm not very good ice climbers player but I decided to check the tiers out one day after consistently being able to 4 stock them and nobody else (and can now 4 stock other characters/9's). My brother has a 6 year old son that doesn't know how to recover... my brother, a well versed gamer and solid smash player... lost playing as the ice climbers to a 6 year old that doesn't even know how to up B.... i think this puts it into perspective. Anyway:

tl:dr
ice climbers need a better recovery cuz nana always dies.
umm no. let me tell you why
first off CPUs at lvl 9 are garbage. i could 4 stock them with brawl ganon. don't let them determine how good a character is.
second, ICs have a high learning curve, as in, they're no mario, marth, or ike. you have to know ALOT about them in order to perform well. desyncs, chain grabs, range, exploiting nana's AI, etc.. everything has to be accounted for.

unlistedNiL

Smash Cadet
umm no. let me tell you why
first off CPUs at lvl 9 are garbage. i could 4 stock them with brawl ganon. don't let them determine how good a character is.
second, ICs have a high learning curve, as in, they're no mario, marth, or ike. you have to know ALOT about them in order to perform well. desyncs, chain grabs, range, exploiting nana's AI, etc.. everything has to be accounted for.
but duh up B doe seems to have been nerfed. correct me if im wrong but there seems to be a difference in their recovery. also they are dead last in all the tiers that i've seen. they just don't seem to have the same options they used to have. I understand what you are saying about their learning curve, but has their learning curve really changed that much since melee (in melee they were top tier now they are bottom)

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
Ice Climbers are a great character. They just have the highest learning curve. Mango once said, "if you're an Ice Climbers main, then you ride or die with the Ice Climbers." The dedicated mains are just getting to the point where we can start making some noise. They ARE NOT an easy character. I would say they are the only character that you cannot pick up and immediately play effectively. Even in melee people thought they were bad until the dedicated players showed them what they could accomplish. So I guess I'm trying to say that you need alittle experience and a better test sample before you make judgments about my character.

unlistedNiL

Smash Cadet
Ice Climbers are a great character. They just have the highest learning curve. Mango once said, "if you're an Ice Climbers main, then you ride or die with the Ice Climbers." The dedicated mains are just getting to the point where we can start making some noise. They ARE NOT an easy character. I would say they are the only character that you cannot pick up and immediately play effectively. Even in melee people thought they were bad until the dedicated players showed them what they could accomplish. So I guess I'm trying to say that you need alittle experience and a better test sample before you make judgments about my character.
Ya I understand that. I would say the most difficult character to learn in PM is the ice climbers. idk who thought the ice climbers were bad in melee tho, since they are top tier. I don't even main them but it just seems so unfair that Nana dies so often after they recover. I main a character with a bad recovery (falco) and i get why his is so bad, because he is all offense, but i just don't see a point in Nana's awkward trajectory after the recovery.

zFrost

how do i title
NNID
z13124
i agree that the non main climbers ai could use a bit of work in some areas but if that never happens or until then it's up to us to have the brain for them, climbers are highly underestimated compared to a lot of the cast imo

Smash Journeyman
ICs in Melee and PM are just a really 1 sided character. ICs are the best at punishing because they have the most combo options and the most potential damage. They also are the most unforgiving character because a single mistake can cost them most of their combo options, and damage. This means that ICs can look terrible if their opponent is only slightly better than them or if they are in an unfavorable MU, yet they can seem amazing if the situation is reversed.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Are you talking about the tier list speculation thread? Every tier list that has them on the bottom puts them in the broken tier (bugs) with Olimar. This has to do with the inverted momentum glitch, which will be fixed in the next bug fix patch. Don't put too much weight in tier lists, especially for PM. It is too volatile of a game. It also shouldn't be compared to other smash games because the difference between high and low tier isn't the same. Melee Kirby and Fox are not the same distance as PM Fox and Olimar. The only other reason they are put so low is because they aren't used, so nobody knows where to put them.

tl;dr Tier lists suck for PM

Top Bottom