• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Optimizing damage at the middle of the Blade?

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Alrighty so I've been thoroughly enjoying Roy in 3.0, but I've had a few questions.

While Marth and Ike's move sets revolve around stabbing with the tip and bashing with the hilt respectfully, Their move sets are built around this idea, making the optimal damage quite easy to pull off. However, Roy's moveset is a weird mix of stabbing and bashing where as their should be much more slashing involved.

I know Roy is supposed to be a clone of Marth, but there's some stuff that really doesn't make since to me, like is forward tilt, which is a good spacing tool, but would fit better in Marth's arsenal

While I love the changes to the double edge attack, I was just curious to see if there were any other good attacks that make usage of the middle of the blade besides that and some stuff like his Neutral B or his air moves.

Overall is Roy viable compared to the other two FE lords, or is he still the weakest of the bunch?

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
I believe Roy's design is almost as flawless as Marth's. Amazing combo potential, okizeme for days, insane kill power on a lot of his moves, his entire moveset having a use, most of which his moves can have multiple uses, and so forth. He's just has this weight and fall speed to him that allows him to be comboed easily and has a pretty garbage recovery. Take this all with a grain of salt because my opinion can only be but so valid with by me being a CPU warrior with no real people to fight.

Pretty much his entire moveset makes use of the middle his blade except maybe his recovery? I never bothered to check if there's a sweet and sourspot.

I think he'll be better than Ike. Marth it's really difficult to say because when it comes to him, his overall gameplan is more effective than Roy's will ever be. Though Roy being so good now, I believe he can be a slight step below Marth at this point, similar to how Falco is in relation to Fox.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I guess I'll just need to play around with him a bit more, I'm an Ike main in PM so getting used to the middle of the sword is gunna take some time.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i think roy will far outshine marth in MU dependent situations. For instance, I feel that roy will outshine marth in space animal and sheik MUs, since roy is much quicker in the air (making it harder to get below his attacks, and making it easier for him to navigate through projectiles. additionally, a lot his kill combos last longer, and can actually work reliably even on medium falling speed chars like sheik. however, certain characters that are very defensive close up and can work him offstage reliably and edge guard him will cause him to fall behind marths level (aka. peach, jiggly, wario).

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
So far I haven't really been getting all too much sourspot hits with Roy, his moveset is very mixed but all of his moves seem to chain really well together.

Not sure if Roy is still the weakest of the 3 FE lords but if he is, he isn't too far behind Marth and Ike imo.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
It'd be hard for me to say he's better than Ike given the kill power differences + Quickdraw silliness. Being the worst of the three in this scenario still plays out well for him because he works better in certain areas than either Marth or Ike. Spacing is easier because calculating for the center of the blade essentially means "I have to be up close." Even with that, some of Roy's sourspotted moves actually assist his combo potential(sourspot Dair for some nice results). I find that he can pretty much string anything into anything given you place yourself properly, his SHFFL is just too damn good. Combine that with refined aerials and a better combo game overall and Roy is pretty solid, yeah.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Thanks for the responses guys, been using Roy a lot more since this thread and can say that I'm much more comfortable with sweet spotting. While things like his down air are still pretty hard to pull of, I've noticed a lot of his other moves do work to his advantage.

Still not sure if he beats Ike out, but both are stupid fun to play as, so I will definitely be alternating between the two. I can't wait to see what other Sword users might get added to PM thanks to the clone engine, as they are just a lot of fun to use.

Top Bottom