• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Options after throwing down a hydrant from a great height?

Tornado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEF5Tornado
When we do a full jump or double jump and thrown down a hydrant, those initial frames after are a big "Here I am! Hit me!" sign for most good players. I would get into such a rhythm of air dodging as I'm falling because what else am I going to do? I don't know why I never really thought about this before, but would our dair have any priority to hit someone coming up at us or be able to cancel out an oncoming up+air? This is the only thing I can think of beyond doing an air dodge and hope I guess right with it.

verbatim

Smash Ace
Bair and nair work really well in this scenario.

dair is ultra punishable and honestly doesn't gain you much though, I'd advise against it.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
dair is ultra punishable and honestly doesn't gain you much though, I'd advise against it.
I find Dair to be easier than well-spaced FSmashes for punishing wakeup-attacks.

Some people swear that its a great gimping tool too, although i've never used it like that. You basically catch someone by the ledge, Dair them, and then miss the last (big) hit. Enemies fall down pretty far if you catch them off-platform after the first three hits of Dair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom