• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man Vs. : Matchup Discussion Thread- R.O.B. (Pac-MAN V.S Machine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Could we change this thread to ROB next? I know that both Zage and I are having problems with this matchup.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Alright. I'll move it to ROB. Wario is a rare sight at tourneys anyway and reflex hasn't responded.

I still believe that we win the matchup. Our long range pressure with key and hydrant is stronger than his laser. You can even bait him into shooting you while charging to get quick z droppable fruit.

Also, if we take his gyro, we camp him out hard while he can't do the same to us with his laggy laser.

Edit: I guess I'll ask Sinji Sinji if he knows anything considering he gets the most impressive results out of all of us in this forum.

Last edited:

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
I find a fun thing to do with ROB is to take his Gyro and throw it up. It takes a bit to come down and he can't use it while you are doing that. It's a good way to approach while denying him his gyro. Bonus fun if you retreat back and pick it up and do it again or incorporate it into a combo.

My biggest problem with ROB is his up air. It beats our hydrant but if I quit trying to drop it on him I tend to do better. His grab is a problem on certain stages so ROB might have an advantage on stages with low ceilings or high platforms. Laser doesn't stop fruit but chances are you will trade at best and lose like 95% of the time. They made his reflector way more reliable this game too but I don't know what it covers.

I'm going to disagree with Pacman9 and say ROB does better at long range because his laser pierces our hydrant and he can cancel the charge sooner. This could be the online lag but I can never stop charging my fruit and put up shield in time when I see him about to fire the laser from across the stage.

Although I'm not confident until I try it enough (I don't fight ROB that often), ROB might be best fought a little outside the range of his Fsmash. I wouldn't recommend charging fruit there but I think it might be a good place to sit on him. He out ranges us be our attacks are faster. It also doesn't give him as much reaction time and with his slow attacks we have a better time there. When there is an opening we go in and combo and when we need to charge fruit we pull back. I would also say to be aggressive against him because like us if you give him time to set up he can wreck us. Don't be reckless though because he can rapid launch the gyro catch it and then start combos so be on the watch out for that.

If anyone has good reason why any of this is wrong please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Alright. I'll move it to ROB. Wario is a rare sight at tourneys anyway and reflex hasn't responded.

I still believe that we win the matchup. Our long range pressure with key and hydrant is stronger than his laser. You can even bait him into shooting you while charging to get quick z droppable fruit.

Also, if we take his gyro, we camp him out hard while he can't do the same to us with his laggy laser.

Edit: I guess I'll ask Sinji Sinji if he knows anything considering he gets the most impressive results out of all of us in this forum.
Against RoB you have to use Fair>Nair when they go for Nair since our Fair is faster then his nair. I prefer using up b in the gyro's space so Rob can't pick it up again instead of picking up the gyro. Plus our aerials available to us. All we have to worry about is laser at this moment. Make sure you don't damage the hydrant before he shoots his laser. If that happens you'll be in hit stun from the laser plus the hydrant. I died from that while playing Vinnie in Grand Finals a couple of weeks ago. ROB is combo food to the galaxion. Cherry and strawberry beats him off stage if he decides to avoid the hydrant edge guard when using UP b. Up b to avoid grab if he rushes you down. If he decides to jump over your trampoline and nair, simply short hop air dodge to the other side and charge fruit. Get the key and knock both the hydrant and the key for a shield poke or to beat his nair approach. RoB is a large target so this works almost all of the time.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Against RoB you have to use Fair>Nair when they go for Nair since our Fair is faster then his nair. I prefer using up b in the gyro's space so Rob can't pick it up again instead of picking up the gyro. Plus our aerials available to us. All we have to worry about is laser at this moment. Make sure you don't damage the hydrant before he shoots his laser. If that happens you'll be in hit stun from the laser plus the hydrant. I died from that while playing Vinnie in Grand Finals a couple of weeks ago. ROB is combo food to the galaxion. Cherry and strawberry beats him off stage if he decides to avoid the hydrant edge guard when using UP b. Up b to avoid grab if he rushes you down. If he decides to jump over your trampoline and nair, simply short hop air dodge to the other side and charge fruit. Get the key and knock both the hydrant and the key for a shield poke or to beat his nair approach. RoB is a large target so this works almost all of the time.
You are a freakin tactician. Great advice, I'll definitely be trying this out!

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Sinji Sinji
Don't forget that rob can always pick up the gyro from under the trampoline by jumping on it and buffering an attack or Z.

I would suggest dropping a hydrant on it to both damage the hydrant and block rob from getting his gyro from under the trampoline.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Sinji Sinji
Don't forget that rob can always pick up the gyro from under the trampoline by jumping on it and buffering an attack or Z.

I would suggest dropping a hydrant on it to both damage the hydrant and block rob from getting his gyro from under the trampoline.
If your timing is right, while you're charging your fruit you can just trampoline cancel the gyro since it's invincible on startup, it'll save you from pressure while delaying Rob's ability to get his gyro.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
How are we supposed to DI Rob's downthrow to avoid the uair follow up?

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Mister Eric Mister Eric
Do you have any insight on both the matchup and this question?
There is no correct DI on the downthrow. It's a matter of mixups. You have the ability to DI ~45 degrees left or right. Most ROB players try to read DI. Top lvl ROB players will react to the DI which is why I say there is no correct way. What's more important is what comes next. Do you airdodge or jump? This is a psychological game. Airdodge comes out faster than jump. At higher %s (100+) people usually try to jump. Well if ROB is quick enough, then he will up air you for free.
We are both playing a guessing game at this point. I'm guessing what you're going to do and you're guessing what I'm going to do. Most players don't see it this way and they just panic air dodge or jump bc they think they can. You can get away with a jump if I think you're going to airdodge. You can get away with an airdodge if I think you're going to jump. Both you and the ROB should always take into account the %s of both players so that you can better determine your next move. If you're at 100%, and you think ROB will try to up air you. Then you have a little bit of wait time. You can dodge the entire up air if you react correctly. At lower %s, you need more of a set game plan than a reactive one because you won't get much time to think after the down throw since you won't fly that far away.

As for the MU, I would say it's near even.
Wanna know a secret? Pac-man is the only character that can counter my gyro set up with a ledge get up into shield. Pac-man's shape allows him to power shield it each time. This only applies if I put the gyro as far over to the ledge as possible (which I normally do, but probably will mix it up more in the future.)

ROB can counter your hydrant set up with projectiles pretty well, so be careful about that. Also I can upair through your hydrant and still hit you with the beep boop.

I hope any of this helps. If you have any questions, tag me/quote me here and let me know.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
I'm still waitting to see every MU conclusion on the first page....@Pacman9 you are the only one that can do it, because it is your thread.... can you please put every MU conclusion on the first post? It will help a LOT to everyone

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Ok so I'm struggling much less with this matchup now. I still think its in Rob's favor but not my much. The things to keep in mind is to:

Try and always have a hydrant on the stage and be facing away from it. Once Rob hits it with anything Bair it. (If you go to bair it and Rob manages to launch the hydrant before you, your bair will nullify the hydrant hit box so you'll be safe, 9 times out of 10 you should end up launching it first though.) While facing away form hydrant the hydrant you should also always be facing away form except for the occasional fair harassment. Your bair beats his nair so if he goes to the air bair him.

Its a key heavy match you so you should only be using that fruit except for as always the occasional apple and bell for a sneaky kill(also its fine to use Galaxian to rack up damage at lower percents)

The final thing is when Rob is off stage don't charge your fruit, run off the stage and try to edge guard him, we can edge guard him pretty well with hydrant(he'll likely fade away from it) to bairs. While you're unlikely to actually kill him you should end up with a nice chunk of damage from it.

It might seem like its more complicated than most matchups but its really not. Once you play it with the right strategy you'll see its not so intimidating.

Last edited:

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
I think we can run out Rob's recovery if he goes low because of hydrant. He's not as mobile as villager so he can't dodge as well and if you can knock him away a couple of times he isn't coming back. I've done it a few times. I need to try that back air approach though.

verbatim

Smash Ace
Moving this over from the matchup chart thread since it works better here and there's no active discussion on ROB anymore,

Could we talk about Captain Falcon? I've gotten pretty good at playing against rushdown characters (or at least Sheik , Pikachu, and MK) while playing as Pacman but I struggle against him a lot. I think a majority of this stems from my over dependence on hydrant and the fact that I spend too much time floating around in the air, meaning he can rush in and uair me fairly simply, and that a more grounded/trampoline heavy game would be the way to go, but I'm always worried about his 50/50 dash attack/dash grab.

Currently I go Ganon vs Falcon and while I think the matchup is a lot less grim than most people think, I feel like Pacman ultimately does better.

I'd also be willing to help run the thread/discussion, if at all possible.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
D dragontamer
Could you pass ownership of the thread onto Splebel Splebel ?

I don't have the free time for it anymore
NP.

I looked through the thread tools, and I don't really see a way to "pass ownership".

Splebel Splebel , just make a new thread, with a link into this one. I'm going to close and unsticky this particular thread.

If anyone has issues, contact me on the moderator request page: http://smashboards.com/threads/pac-...sts-local-rules-debate-complaints-etc.367357/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom