• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PAC-MAN's Fire Hydrant can be countered when not falling

Vegooter

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vegooter
So my friend and I found out while playing that PAC-MAN's Fire Hydrant move can be countered while the hydrant is on the ground. So, we posted a replay of it to YouTube.

Link to the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOudAygND_k

I thought it was pretty strange considering the hydrant doesn't have an active hit box when on the ground. I'm not even sure if this is a glitch, because surely it would've been found and patched by now. What do you think?

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
So my friend and I found out while playing that PAC-MAN's Fire Hydrant move can be countered while the hydrant is on the ground. So, we posted a replay of it to YouTube.

Link to the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOudAygND_k

I thought it was pretty strange considering the hydrant doesn't have an active hit box when on the ground. I'm not even sure if this is a glitch, because surely it would've been found and patched by now. What do you think?
It also does shield damage when someone is shielding next to it. It's odd.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The hydrant is a hitbox constantly. Because of this, it does shield damage, activates counters, and activates moves sensitive to physical projectiles, such as Gravitational Pull (Rosalina) and Pocket (Villager).

Knowing this is crucial in certain matchups. If your opponent knows that they can get a free counter off, then you need to be aware of that option at all times when you have the hydrant on the ground. This applies to the following characters:

:4littlemac::4lucario::4greninja::4shulk::4palutena::4marth::4lucina::4feroy::4myfriends::4miisword::4corrin::4bayonetta:

With characters such as Little Mac, Lucario, Greninja, and Shulk whose counters move them horizontally, you need to be extremely careful.

Rosalina and Villager make our stage control game very, very difficult with their ability to neutralize hydrant. Rosalina in particular doesn't have to place down another hydrant to take away the other one, making her very dangerous.

Villager's typical tactics will include taking the hydrant and dropping it on top of the next one you place (launching both) or dropping the first one he pockets off the stage. This is a real pain to manage, but is nowhere near as annoying as his ability to get rid of our neutral b.

Rosalina just takes the hydrant out of the equation entirely. Gravitational Pull will take Hydrant off of the stage after it has been planted and Rosalina will have no noticeable cooldown afterwards. Just accept that the hydrant is good for a projectile only in this matchup, specifically against Luma.

Top Bottom