• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PC freezes when monitor turns on

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
So this is really random. I have no sweet clue what is causing this, and my only deduction is that it's either some kind of virus or there is a problem with the motherboard itself.

The issue is whenever my monitor is asleep or turned off, and then I turn it back on, the desktop screen freezes for up to 1-2 minutes, but only on occasion. It isn't a problem with the monitor, because I can still see the mouse moving around. No icons are selectable, and the time and date in the bottom right hand corner display what was present at the time the monitor was last turned off. Weird.

Has anybody experienced this problem before? Help would be much appreciated.

If it helps, I'm running Windows 7 on an HP desktop. I don't think specs would help.

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
We actually experimented with this up in Tech school last year. Our conclusion was the computer was using most power to get the monitor running. What's the size of your power supply? If it's low, that could be why.

Otherwise, idk.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Do you either have a genuine copy of Windows 7 or the recovery discs? Another possibility is that it could be an operating system error. Salvage your data and whatever else you may have by transfering your stuff to an external harddrive and maybe use the recovery discs to set Windows 7 back to the factory default?

I wouldn't try this as your first option since it's a hassle transfering your data and all that jazz. And if you've got one-time products like Home Office & Student or an internet security software license, resetting the whole operating system makes you lose those. In my experience though, most software companies are pretty good about operating system resets that make you lose their product if the key doesn't work anymore, and they may supply you with another key to put it back on.

Long story short, try other solutions first. If nothing gets resolved? Recovery discs to reset the operating system.

Top Bottom