• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Phantom Smack"?

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I know i have heard this somewhere on the boards so sorry i made a whole thread about it...

But yeah this Phantom "smack" i got it to work on my second try in the video

Its really a random occurance especially in the heat of a fight, especially since you must wait for charge two, and from the looks of it' spaced in such a way.

But still anyone have input on this? Does have something to do with the random 'trip' mechanic Phantom's sword has? Or something like a over lapping on the 0% hitbox after the initial 'slash'? Because to notice everytime it happens im about a 'roll' worth of space away, to the point where Phantom hits with its 'hilt'

When i have time to lab later i want to see if i can do this on command. Since there it is possible to land it midair and spike them from a jump or getup from a ledge. Though this was not recorded.....

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Weird. I haven't seen this before. It looks like it was crouch-cancelled lol. It must have something to do with the new hitbox. Perhaps you're right in that the 0% hitbox overlaps with the swing hitbox. Since Sheik took 11% like she should have, it would have to mean that the 0% hitbox would be the knockback hitbox which shouldn't happen.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Weird. I haven't seen this before. It looks like it was crouch-cancelled lol. It must have something to do with the new hitbox. Perhaps you're right in that the 0% hitbox overlaps with the swing hitbox. Since Sheik took 11% like she should have, it would have to mean that the 0% hitbox would be the knockback hitbox which shouldn't happen.
Oh sorry just saw this. But yeah xD It actually looks just like that. Im positive it has everything to with the new hitbox, but overall the spacing. Since i never managed to land it from any other distance.

So i think even if this sees major utilization, it might as well be up to chance since spacing seems pretty strict, along with other reasons I figure.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I'm not so sure it can be utilized outside of wonky meteor smash attempts of which the spacing is probably impossible to get consistently. The reason I say it can't be utilized is because of the endlag on phantom. Any move that forces the opponent to the ground is usually a means for a tech chase but the endlag on phantom doesn't allow us to do that. Plus, our movement speed isn't good enough to punish a roll backwards anyway so I don't see a lot of usage unless the opponent stupidly rolls towards us in which case you might wanna consider leaving FG ;P

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I'm not so sure it can be utilized outside of wonky meteor smash attempts of which the spacing is probably impossible to get consistently. The reason I say it can't be utilized is because of the endlag on phantom. Any move that forces the opponent to the ground is usually a means for a tech chase but the endlag on phantom doesn't allow us to do that. Plus, our movement speed isn't good enough to punish a roll backwards anyway so I don't see a lot of usage unless the opponent stupidly rolls towards us in which case you might wanna consider leaving FG ;P
Yeah thats what i was getting at. After getting a chance to lab with it a bit more I realize its kinda just an occurrence that will just 'happen'. Nothing much more to it (of course...ughh)

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
I have done this, and on purpose.
You're right that it's about a roll-length of space, because I use Phantom to trap ledge options.
As soon as I see them move, I release phantom, and if it's the second charge and they regular getup, they get semispiked.
If they roll onto stage, they get pushed and then hit, which doesn't get the weird knockback.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I've done this before offstage. It spikes them at a rly awkward angle. It has a lot of hitstun too so your opponent probably isn't coming back

AncientCode42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Surge_Production
I haven't seen this before. Is this only occurred since the latest patch or has it always done that? Does this get more uses out of the buffs from patch or is this just there? How would this work offstage?

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I haven't seen this before. Is this only occurred since the latest patch or has it always done that? Does this get more uses out of the buffs from patch or is this just there? How would this work offstage?
It seems its new with the patch. And from i can see its pretty much useless in a match. Phantom just is too slow to charge like that plus endlag and the Hitstun doesn't last THAT long to kill from the very ledge at 100%, then theres it conspicuous spacing. I mean if you can anticipate it in that rare situation you can do a follow up. Maybe with a read offstage?. But only until someone can do it on command on purpose on a live Opponent,( which is ridiculous since its can easily be sheilded and overall avoided.), then its use can be acknowledged. No one should be getting hit by this offstage honestly, or Phantom period. o.o"

I say Phantom is good as it can get with its hitboxes and mini-wall, this is just a odd occurance that will happen but in all honesty makes the total outcome of the move's purpose, more iffy.

Last edited:

riku45

Smash Rookie
I have seen this happen before in one of my matches. It sent them down off stage when their edge invincibility ran out. I have not been able to do it again :(

Top Bottom