• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

pichu, s dash dance questions

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Looking at raw data pichu as a better dd than roy and it looks really respectable on paper. But other to space myself for nairs I question how viable it is other than that.

Like dd grab

Now what are some of Your thoughts on it and using pivots?

Yeah its a dd and above average but I'm curious on others views of pichu's I'm don't think I have the words to fully explain how I space with it other than proactively adapting. I often readjust my spacing for it without thinking for their rhyme so sheiks will miss their dash attacks or whatever. I'm focused on the nair more than the movement even if they go hand in hand

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Looking at raw data pichu as a better dd than roy and it looks really respectable on paper. But other to space myself for nairs I question how viable it is other than that.

Like dd grab

Now what are some of Your thoughts on it and using pivots?

Yeah its a dd and above average but I'm curious on others views of pichu's I'm don't think I have the words to fully explain how I space with it other than proactively adapting. I often readjust my spacing for it without thinking for their rhyme so sheiks will miss their dash attacks or whatever. I'm focused on the nair more than the movement even if they go hand in hand

So all characters get an bigger grab distance when they DD > pivot grab

In my opinion Pichu has the best aerial attack out of DD in the entire game. You literally fling yourself out of it into a super fast flying nair; your speed and momentum 100% preserved, and in 2 SHs you can cover the entire FD stage with 2 mini rainbows of death. The speed, distance and mystery of it really can't be rivaled by any other character and it's one of the few things that make him viable (it's scary approaching a Pichu that's DD'ing).

Of course out of DD his patented SH Nair you don't have to hold the direction as long after leaving the ground (like from normal dash start) meaning you can start the Nair earlier and it has active hitboxes the entire length. Not even any of the top tiers have such a great long lasting move out of DD; or it could be a grab, full hop fast fall, dash attack, WD back F smash, dash Up smash, etc (like most characters options but Pichu is a bit faster; except Pika and Falcon, Fox slows down a lot when he jumps)

Of course you should always mix it up with some wavelands (backwards and down) basically just make your momentum hard to predict. Pichu can stop on a dime, he has great traction which makes his WD suck but you have to use this "disadvantage" to your advantage to set up mindgames and spacing. Baiting out laggy attacks and mistakes (make them nervous).

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Pivot grabs just prevent You from sliding forward and gets rid of the small extra start up lag of Jc grabs.

I used to be about those wd back but I think pivots are better and also being proactive is better. Just everytime I look at something else out of dd, I always see nair being the better safer answer in nearly every way and case.

And say they are in a corner while You dd nair is less of an option if they shield and let You push them off if You don't go super low d tilt but there is a very cut and dry spacing that is very telegraphed for that

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
With pichu you rarely need to pivot grab ever. It helps for low percent cg follow ups on slight behind DI though (specifically at 0%).

Top Bottom